Five Games Left: What's the Top Priority?

What matters most to you in the last five games on the year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we're at the bargaining stage of mourning a lost season. What do you believe the Cards' top priority should be for these last five games?

I'm seeing a lot of responses floating around; just trying to consolidate the conversation, maybe.
I would say ALL of them apply, except the one about winning games lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Finding out if Murray can be elite in this offense is the priority.

The thing I’m not figuring out is Murray and the offense come out of the gates on fire and look like a prolific offense.

Then, the rest of the game they look very pedestrian. Is that Murray or the coaching or the “plan”.
I'm starting to believe that Murray is seriously intimidated by Aaron Donald.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with developing newer players. Who really is good enough to keep till next year. That would definitely help point the players to draft/free agents

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I voted on Kyler Murray functioning as a top 8 qb. The number 8 in my mind isn't as important as just being an elite qb. We can argue about the word-smithing but the real bottom line IMO in the last five games is that we have to decide if Murray is the guy.
I actually think top 8 is outside the elite but within the range of QBs that put you in the Super Bowl conversation

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler integrating into the offense should be the #1 priority. Everything hinges around that.

I don't care if Kyler is a top 8 QB. If he can be Brock Purdy and manage this offense effectively, I'm fine with that heading into next season.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler integrating into the offense should be the #1 priority. Everything hinges around that.

I don't care if Kyler is a top 8 QB. If he can be Brock Purdy and manage this offense effectively, I'm fine with that heading into next season.
So you think this offensive system is more important than optimizing Kyler's skill set?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we're at the bargaining stage of mourning a lost season. What do you believe the Cards' top priority should be for these last five games?

I'm seeing a lot of responses floating around; just trying to consolidate the conversation, maybe.
I began the season at that stage

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I voted on Kyler Murray functioning as a top 8 qb. The number 8 in my mind isn't as important as just being an elite qb. We can argue about the word-smithing but the real bottom line IMO in the last five games is that we have to decide if Murray is the guy.
I agree with this. Many QBs like Manning and Brady were able to function at a high level with OCs and coaches who failed when they left the. I need to know if Kyler can function like a top NFL QB. Can he consistently take the easy plays and make them. Understand how to target a defense and matchups. Shift within the game depending on what the circumstances are. Make a handful of special plays when needed.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. Many QBs like Manning and Brady were able to function at a high level with OCs and coaches who failed when they left the. I need to know if Kyler can function like a top NFL QB. Can he consistently take the easy plays and make them. Understand how to target a defense and matchups. Shift within the game depending on what the circumstances are. Make a handful of special plays when needed.

To me that would be #1 on the list "integrating into the offense"

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Alright, I’m alone on winning as many games possible.
My reasoning is that I don’t want the stench of this season, lingering on to the upcoming season.
At 2-10, this team already has a rancid stench. The schedule is impossibly hard to finish the season... Might as well extract any positives we can at this point - developing rookies.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To me that would be #1 on the list "integrating into the offense"

See, I think the difference is building an offense around Kyler's strength that also bolsters his weaknesses.

In my attempt in building the poll, "integrating into the offense" really means answering the question "Can Kyler do whatever Petzing wants in his offense, or will we discover that we need a lesser talent to run the system?"

Petzing's left-foot-forward thing is a synedoche for forcing a player into the system to me.

What is the criteria to determine a top 8 QB for you?

It's not really a hard criteria; I wish it were more metric based. This will sound stupider than it is, but Top 8-ish to me is like Top 12 in DVOA (because there's some variance involved).

Another way to think of it is that a top 8 QB is someone who is going to be in the top 10 or 12 in most or all of the critical passing efficiency metrics: passer rating, DVOA, Total QBR, YPA, TD%, completion%, ADoT, INT%.

Another way to say this is that I don't need him to show that he's as good as Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow. I need to see that he's on the same level as Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. Two years ago this would have been the Kirk Cousins Line.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petzing's left-foot-forward thing is a synedoche for forcing a player into the system to me.

Is that a system thing? To me that is teaching a player better fundamentals and has nothing to do with the system. Sloppy footwork is sloppy footwork.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is that a system thing? To me that is teaching a player better fundamentals and has nothing to do with the system. Sloppy footwork is sloppy footwork.
Maybe, but he says in the same breath that it's actually doesn't matter and that about half of the QBs in the league do it the other way. Just with his system he prefers everyone do it this way, so he's going to make 'em.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also to read the defense and find the open receiver

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson