First and Second Apron Restrictions

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea for the players its bad but will probably help the league.

It just happened at the worst possible time. The first time in history the suns have an owner willing to spend unlimited money....man this team has some bad luck.

The new CBA rules were known when Mat Ishbia made the Durant trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new CBA rules were known when Mat Ishbia made the Durant trade.
Not when he first entered negotiations to buy the team. Sarver started looking for a buyer in September of 2022. I don't think the exact details were revealed until after that?

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't see the NBA players association agreeing to this just because older stars were mad about the money younger guys were getting. It makes no sense. This is an owners rule book to protect owners from themselves. The owners just can't help themselves but spend money. The players have benefitted from the owners weakness for decades now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't see the NBA players association agreeing to this just because older stars were mad about the money younger guys were getting. It makes no sense. This is an owners rule book to protect owners from themselves. The owners just can't help themselves but spend money. The players have benefitted from the owners weakness for decades now.
They are trying to prevent making it easy to create super teams. That does give smaller markets a fighting chance. I think it's good for the league even though it completely sucks for the timing of the Suns getting a billionaire owner.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They are trying to prevent making it easy to create super teams. That does give smaller markets a fighting chance. I think it's good for the league even though it completely sucks for the timing of the Suns getting a billionaire owner.
I get it from an owner's viewpoint. I am just saying I don't see where limiting salaries for players is in the players best interest. Maybe it's a moot point with the number of teams going over the aprons. Just seems like there's more benefit for the owner's than the players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not when he first entered negotiations to buy the team. Sarver started looking for a buyer in September of 2022. I don't think the exact details were revealed until after that?

As I recall, most of the details of the new CBA were known when the Suns traded for Durant which contributed to a lot of heated discussions. Further details emerged later, but I think the basic structure was already known. This made the timing of the trade even worse.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall, most of the details of the new CBA were known when the Suns traded for Durant which contributed to a lot of heated discussions. Further details emerged later, but I think the basic structure was already known. This made the timing of the trade even worse.
I looked it up. It appears the details were not published until 2023 and were still being finalized. So, I doubt anybody really knew the full breathe of the rules back in 2022. Either way, I still don't blame him for trying something. It's a shame that the NBA passed this when they did or I bet we would be seeing the highest payroll in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked it up. It appears the details were not published until 2023 and were still being finalized. So, I doubt anybody really knew the full breathe of the rules back in 2022.

The new CBA rules may not have been published, but the content of ongoing negotiations were available.

It's the obligation of the owner and GM to know what is happening around the league. The details were not hidden.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why would that matter? It's not like the sale was contingent on some prearranged trade.

When Ishbia got control of the team he pushed for the trade and he knew about the CBA, in either scenario.

The notion that the conditions of the new CBA were a surprise to any owner has always been silly. The franchises approved it themselves.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I looked it up. It appears the details were not published until 2023 and were still being finalized. So, I doubt anybody really knew the full breathe of the rules back in 2022. Either way, I still don't blame him for trying something. It's a shame that the NBA passed this when they did or I bet we would be seeing the highest payroll in the NBA.
I am just guessing, but based on reading between the lines, it seemed they knew the framework, but Ishbia figured they could push the envelope anyway because he figured it was only money. I am not sure they realized how restricted they would be in building the team after the second apron kicked in. Ironically, if we would have had guys with MORE salary when we made the KD trade, we would be in better position to move the deck chairs.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why would that matter? It's not like the sale was contingent on some prearranged trade.

When Ishbia got control of the team he pushed for the trade and he knew about the CBA, in either scenario.

The notion that the conditions of the new CBA were a surprise to any owner has always been silly. The franchises approved it themselves.
The only thing I can say is it was approved under Sarver technically. However JJ probably knew.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just guessing, but based on reading between the lines, it seemed they knew the framework, but Ishbia figured they could push the envelope anyway because he figured it was only money. I am not sure they realized how restricted they would be in building the team after the second apron kicked in. Ironically, if we would have had guys with MORE salary when we made the KD trade, we would be in better position to move the deck chairs.
Right. I am sure the framework was out there but they were negotiating the details. I seriously doubt a potential owner was privy to those details which was the point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd