Firefly

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep watching. Jayne starts to steal the show. By far my favorite character at the end of the season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought River was the best character.

Inara is my favorite for obvious reasons.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I kept looking at her trying to figure out where I had seen her before...she was the chick with "Crazy Eyes" in How I Met Your Mother (Swarley episode, I think).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Wow, really? I thought River was at the low end of the main characters, if not the worst. Not the actor's fault, because I thought Whedon would have developed River more in the 2nd season, and the other characters simply had more to work with. She was good in flashes, but that was about it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, really? I thought River was at the low end of the main characters, if not the worst. Not the actor's fault, because I thought Whedon would have developed River more in the 2nd season, and the other characters simply had more to work with. She was good in flashes, but that was about it.

I'm right with you.

Good TV shows with ensemble casts always leave at least one character undeveloped to leave room to develop the show. River was placeholder of sorts as a constant reminder of the mysterious element of the future, and we weren't just watching The Big Valley in Space. She always represented the teased direction of the story. Everyone else was just comic relief.

You watch the movie and you can see Whedon's frustration that he only had one season for the show -- River becomes central to the story, the most important character.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm right with you.

Good TV shows with ensemble casts always leave at least one character undeveloped to leave room to develop the show. River was placeholder of sorts as a constant reminder of the mysterious element of the future, and we weren't just watching The Big Valley in Space. She always represented the teased direction of the story. Everyone else was just comic relief.

You watch the movie and you can see Whedon's frustration that he only had one season for the show -- River becomes central to the story, the most important character.

The movie definitely shows you the direction that the series was going with River. The series was suppose to give you a tad more information over a period of time with her becoming more and more central as the show went along. He never got the chance so came the shift with the movie.

Jayne's and Wash though were my favorite characters on the show.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one where half of it was spent on the ballroom dance floor. The Captain punches the guy out to protect the hookers honor and realizes he challenged a master sword fighter to a sword duel. :shock:
Just finished this one...I'm liking the show so far...do they ever explain why all the Chinese? If I were watching that on regular TV & w/o subtitles it would have driven me nuts because I would have thought I was just misunderstanding them. It's the only thing I really don't like about it so far.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished this one...I'm liking the show so far...do they ever explain why all the Chinese? If I were watching that on regular TV & w/o subtitles it would have driven me nuts because I would have thought I was just misunderstanding them. It's the only thing I really don't like about it so far.

I think they just curse and say certain phrases in chinese. I think they explain it, like Earth speaks it mostly?

That's one of my favorite parts :) When they curse in the other language...I loved it :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they just curse and say certain phrases in chinese. I think they explain it, like Earth speaks it mostly?
They explain it in the DVD extras. Something about western and eastern cultures melding in the future. You also see a lot of asian in the costumes, too.

Stout

Reaction score
They explain it in the DVD extras. Something about western and eastern cultures melding in the future. You also see a lot of asian in the costumes, too.

Yeah, because the human race has basically conglomerated into one mega-culture, with many sub-cultures. The mega-culture, I believe, has many aspects of our different culture. If that makes any sense.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, because the human race has basically conglomerated into one mega-culture, with many sub-cultures. The mega-culture, I believe, has many aspects of our different culture. If that makes any sense.

Yeah, that sounds right.

I had Serenity on my HD DVR right now, watching it slowly when I get time...I just love and miss this show and the characters.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been putting off watching Serenity in HD because I'll start missing the show too much.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just so good.

"Attention everyone, this is the captain. We may start feeling some slight...turbulence...and then explode."

"Do you know that girl?"
"I really don't."

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whedon looked into the not so distant future and concluded the two most dominant cultures on Earth -- the U.S. and China -- would be bastardized into one compatible culture.

It's an interesting outlook while the combination of a foreign language and neo-cowboy slang allowed the show to get away with cursing that would otherwise be censored.

Stout

Reaction score
Whedon looked into the not so distant future and concluded the two most dominant cultures on Earth -- the U.S. and China -- would be bastardized into one compatible culture.

It's an interesting outlook while the combination of a foreign language and neo-cowboy slang allowed the show to get away with cursing that would otherwise be censored.

Not to mention the use of gorram. Just like the new Battlestar has the whole frak thing. Brilliant.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to go watch episode # 10 in a few minutes and will be on the final disk.