Firefly

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a little worse than that. They actually only showed 12 episodes the first time through and Fox screwed with their schedule from the beginning forcing them to air the episodes out of sequence. Add in the poor job Fox did marketing this show and it's a wonder anyone ever watched it.

Even with it's short run, it left an indelible mark on Sci-fi fans everywhere. Jayne and River have to be two of the greatest characters ever created which is remarkable for any production but even more so when you consider they came from a failed TV show. When you finish watching the episodes, don't forget to watch Serenity (the movie).

My favorite episode is the one with the bounty hunter (Objects in Space), I envy you for being able to watch it for the first time.

Steve

Jayne is awesome, and only got my first taste of River being awesome when she just went all Irish on Badger during the swordfight episode. That was flat out awesome, I'm guessing she gets a lot more screentime in upcoming episodes.

I freaking LOVE captain mal though...he's great.

Writing in this show is super tight.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jayne is awesome, and only got my first taste of River being awesome when she just went all Irish on Badger during the swordfight episode. That was flat out awesome, I'm guessing she gets a lot more screentime in upcoming episodes.

I freaking LOVE captain mal though...he's great.

Writing in this show is super tight.

Yep, love Captain Tightpants. In fact, I love every character. I just think Jayne and River are on another level. The characters are wonderful, the writing is strong and while the idea of a space western is nothing new, this show still seems to travel new ground.

Steve

Last edited:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if you all are aware of this, but the Science channel started airing Firefly about a year ago or so in correct order. There was also a reunion show w/ the cast and Whedon called Brown coats unite.

What always stuck with me was how the show is timeless - in the same sense that Star Wars (original) is. The show is 10yrs old and still looks like it was just made today.

Ironically, I started out with the movie and then went to the tv episodes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There's a movement to go the Arrested Development route and see about reviving it on Netflix. But don't get your hopes up, that most likely will not happen, not with Joss busy in the Marvel universe and Nathan Fillian doing pretty well on Castle. Marina Baccharin is also doing very well on Homeland. Adam Baldwin just started a new series called The Last Ship for TNT. The rest aren't working as much, but they're working.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
There's a movement to go the Arrested Development route and see about reviving it on Netflix. But don't get your hopes up, that most likely will not happen, not with Joss busy in the Marvel universe and Nathan Fillian doing pretty well on Castle. Marina Baccharin is also doing very well on Homeland. Adam Baldwin just started a new series called The Last Ship for TNT. The rest aren't working as much, but they're working.

Wash is on Suburgatory. I know
that he is dead
, but still...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep, no way this is ever a series again IMO. The only hope is another feature film. The cast is much more known versus when Serenity came out and Joss has a TON more clout. Especially, if he pulls it off again with a sequel, the new TV show and all his attachments to the Marvel properties for the next few years.

I would think he could do whatever he wants. However, something tells me he will revisit the Buffy and Angel universe first through reboots or possibly a film before he revisits Firefly but I could be wrong.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If anyone cares, Nathan Fillian is in the next Percy Jackson movie. Just saw him in the trailer yesterday.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Netflix or DVD the only place to watch the series?

Does Directv have it OnDemand?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone cares, Nathan Fillian is in the next Percy Jackson movie. Just saw him in the trailer yesterday.

Yep, pointed that out to the wife. Looks like they are letting him play the part with some humor as well which is important IMO.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's over. It's over. OMG it is over.

We watched the last two episodes last night, and were so devastated there were no more that we fired up Serenity and watched that. 1 AM, we were transported out of that 'verse and back to reality. So sad.

I would have loved to see Joss dole that show out over 3-4 seasons, watch River grow into that badassness and see some more fun jobs be done. Also, more tension with Mal and Inara would have been nice, especially after the episode where they saved the ******.

Serenity was really good, but everything came together so quickly that it was a bit dissatisfying, knowing there was a lot more backstory to characters like Book. It was nice to have some closure though.

But Wash dying was rough...man...didn't see that one coming, and it made it really sad after the episode where Zoe mentioned she wanted a baby too..sigh

Great, great show. WTF is wrong with Fox?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's over. It's over. OMG it is over.

We watched the last two episodes last night, and were so devastated there were no more that we fired up Serenity and watched that. 1 AM, we were transported out of that 'verse and back to reality. So sad.

I would have loved to see Joss dole that show out over 3-4 seasons, watch River grow into that badassness and see some more fun jobs be done. Also, more tension with Mal and Inara would have been nice, especially after the episode where they saved the ******.

Serenity was really good, but everything came together so quickly that it was a bit dissatisfying, knowing there was a lot more backstory to characters like Book. It was nice to have some closure though.

But Wash dying was rough...man...didn't see that one coming, and it made it really sad after the episode where Zoe mentioned she wanted a baby too..sigh

Great, great show. WTF is wrong with Fox?

The good news; wait about a year and enjoy the re-watch. There are two TV shows that my wife and I watch every year - Band of Brothers and Firefly.

Losing the opportunity to learn Book's back story was even more devastating to me than the death of Wash. I was surprised by both deaths but I was very intrigued by Book's untold history and every time they dropped a hint about his connections I found myself demanding more.

Steve

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good news; wait about a year and enjoy the re-watch. There are two TV shows that my wife and I watch every year - Band of Brothers and Firefly.

Losing the opportunity to learn Book's back story was even more devastating to me than the death of Wash. I was surprised by both deaths but I was very intrigued by Book's untold history and every time they dropped a hint about his connections I found myself demanding more.

Steve

Yes, absolutely. There are apparently three graphic novels written by Joss that are canon that take place between the show and the movie...one of them is The Shepard's Tale which gives more insight to Book's backstory.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. There are apparently three graphic novels written by Joss that are canon that take place between the show and the movie...one of them is The Shepard's Tale which gives more insight to Book's backstory.

I'm interested in the story but this hasn't worked well for me in the past. I bought the continuation of Buffy that Joss designed as the next season and it just didn't fill the void for me. BTW, it's Shepherd not Shepard if you do go looking for it. And if you do, I'd love to hear an encapsulation of it.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is also in Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing - now in theaters (limited release).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

If you want to know about these graphic novels, read the spoiler below:

Zoe was actually pregnant with Wash's baby, and they do a story with rogues talking about Wash, kind of eulogizing him.

The really cool story was about Shepherd Book. It's written backwards, so the story unfolds backwards. The storyline, from beginning to end, is that he was an abused child and his father was awful. As a kid, he started turning to a life of crime, when he was taken in by a movement--the old, old, pre-Browncoats independence movement. They recruit him, have him join the Alliance fleet, and he plays the long game. By the time of the war, he's an admiral, and secretly engineers the worst naval disaster of the war. Even though he retires an admiral (and so gets instant care as a high-ranked vet), he's reviled throughout the core worlds as a huge military failure. He ends up depressed and wandering, where he ends up at a Christian shelter, and finds God in a bowl of soup. Thus a Shepherd is born.

There's also a story about the crew scoring big, and all the crew members dreaming what they'd do--this was when Wash was still alive. Wash would have become a big luxury liner captain. Jayne was going to be some fleet admiral, with all his officers being hot chicks in uniform. Zoe asks River what hers would be, and it pictures a weird wedding with her in a dress and a giant catfish in a tuxedo. Zoe is like, 'darn, I'll have to think of another one'. Somehow the law catches up to them and they have to flee, leaving all of their loot behind. Zoe wonders how they were found and comments apart from the crew to Mal that he never said what he'd have done with the loot. He doesn't respond, basically leaving us with the idea that having his crew IS his dream and he gave up the loot himself.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Oh, and I absolutely CRUSH Kaylee, omg. She's too awesome.

If you want to see the actress play a royal ******, watch Wonderfalls. She does a complete 180 from the Kaylee character on Firefly, which makes me love her even more.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to see the actress play a royal ******, watch Wonderfalls. She does a complete 180 from the Kaylee character on Firefly, which makes me love her even more.

Man, I don't know...I think it is a cross between the actress and the character, but mostly the character.

I mean, it's amazing she can believably pull off a line like: "Goin' on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!"

But I plan to watch Wonderfalls just for her.

Also, Dollhouse.

Right now, watching Walking Dead though.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Her equally rediculously hot friend was at the party in monkey pajamas and had this toy monkey in a space suit. Supposedly the entire outfit related to one of the episodes of Firefly. Anyone understand what that means?
It comes from the second episode, "The Train Job".

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson