Firefly

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No way. Twilight is aimed at a very small segment of the population and it succeeds nicely amongst that group. It's a borefest for most of the rest of us. Vampire Diaries isn't quite the show Chap makes it out to be but it's well above average, IMO. Also, it's not simply aimed at 12 year old girls. There's enough to appeal to either gender, any age, if you're willing to stay with it. It's no Firefly but it's a pretty good show nonetheless.

Steve

Really? What exactly do I make it out to be? I think story wise it's right up there with the best shows on television currently, but I never said anything like it's one of the best shows ever or anything. You even said it's well above average.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? What exactly do I make it out to be? I think story wise it's right up there with the best shows on television currently, but I never said anything like it's one of the best shows ever or anything. You even said it's well above average.

I'll bet you a nickel that you're the only person here who read my post and thought "gee, Steve disagreed with Chaplin". I think it's a good show. I thought your comments made it out to be SLIGHTLY BETTER than that. We're not miles apart, we're simply off by a matter of degrees.

Steve

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Count me in as a Brown Coat who likes Supernatural. (Although, this season hasn't been up to par IMHO).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Vampire Diaries has to be completely different from the first two episodes made it out to be, yeah?

It doesn't change radically but yeah, it does "grow up" a bit. Chances are, if you really hated the first 2 episodes you probably wouldn't ever become a big fan of the show but it certainly stops feeling like a Twilight ripoff. Also, it does a much better job of advancing story lines (and introducing new ones) than you might think from the early episodes of the show.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It doesn't change radically but yeah, it does "grow up" a bit. Chances are, if you really hated the first 2 episodes you probably wouldn't ever become a big fan of the show but it certainly stops feeling like a Twilight ripoff. Also, it does a much better job of advancing story lines (and introducing new ones) than you might think from the early episodes of the show.

Steve

Disagree. If I recall, the first 2 eps were set primarily at the school, and nowadays we see the school maybe once every 5 episodes, if at all. They've made it so that you don't really consider them high school kids anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. If I recall, the first 2 eps were set primarily at the school, and nowadays we see the school maybe once every 5 episodes, if at all. They've made it so that you don't really consider them high school kids anymore.

Wow. Maybe I should use smoke signals. That's my point, Chap. Note that I said it does "grow up a bit". Note also that I acknowledged it didn't just stay with the same subplots of the first 2 episodes.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow. Maybe I should use smoke signals. That's my point, Chap. Note that I said it does "grow up a bit". Note also that I acknowledged it didn't just stay with the same subplots of the first 2 episodes.

Steve

I disagreed with you saying it hasn't changed much from the first 2 episodes. I think it's changed a lot and the biggest aspect of it was that they went away from the high school element.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I disagreed with you saying it hasn't changed much from the first 2 episodes. I think it's changed a lot and the biggest aspect of it was that they went away from the high school element.

Just for the record, I would not watch Vampire Diaries if it was up to me.

however, as someone who watches the show for the simple fact that it may increase the chances that my wife might be more apt to give me a little something-something extra, I can vouch for the fact that the show drastically improved over the course of it's run.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

however, as someone who watches the show for the simple fact that it may increase the chances that my wife might be more apt to give me a little something-something extra, I can vouch for the fact that the show drastically improved over the course of it's run.
:iwin:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:biglaugh:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just started watching this. watched the pilot episode last past week via streaming netflix. it was pretty good, i enjoyed it.

shawn

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
just started watching this. watched the pilot episode last past week via streaming netflix. it was pretty good, i enjoyed it.

shawn

It gets better and better as you get to know the characters...and then...it just...ends. :(

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not what I mean't. I agree, and I own the series on DVD.

I mean the commentary from the science guy.

Ahhh.....I thought it was interesting. Than again, I guess it's just another excuse for me to watch the series again. :D

By the way the Network execs are "thrilled" about the response to the show.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was able to watch one episode the week after the pilot (missed that one). It just isn't worth the effort. They had about a minute's worth of science commentary before the episode. That's all. Having the show on DVD already, it isn't worth taking up DVR space.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OT, on Whedon
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/wat...44_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

Kristin, I'm glad you asked for my thoughts on the announcement of Buffy the cinema film.
This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.

Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this. My first reaction upon hearing who was writing it was, "Whit Stillman AND Wes Anderson? This is gonna be the most sardonically adorable movie EVER." Apparently I was misinformed. Then I thought, "I'll make a mint! This is worth more than all my Toy Story residuals combined!" Apparently I am seldom informed of anything. And possibly a little slow. But seriously, are vampires even popular any more?

I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating.

So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you.
Leave me to my pain! Sincerely, Joss Whedon.
Awesome.

Ghraxx

Reaction score
I like Nathan Fillion so i may give this show a shot. Thanks for bringing this up

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Nathan Fillion so i may give this show a shot. Thanks for bringing this up
I can think of no better way to exit than to introduce the world of Firefly to you sir.
Tip 'o the hat.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FINALLY started watching this series. Freaking awesome. We are on the third episode now...they just did the train robbery in the last one.

I'm aghast this show only got 14 episodes...unbelievable. Soooo good.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FINALLY started watching this series. Freaking awesome. We are on the third episode now...they just did the train robbery in the last one.

Glad you are enjoying it Donald! That is the real tragedy of the show. You just fall in love with it and then *POOF* Fox rips your heart out. Savor it while you can. :)

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a little worse than that. They actually only showed 12 episodes the first time through and Fox screwed with their schedule from the beginning forcing them to air the episodes out of sequence. Add in the poor job Fox did marketing this show and it's a wonder anyone ever watched it.

Even with it's short run, it left an indelible mark on Sci-fi fans everywhere. Jayne and River have to be two of the greatest characters ever created which is remarkable for any production but even more so when you consider they came from a failed TV show. When you finish watching the episodes, don't forget to watch Serenity (the movie).

My favorite episode is the one with the bounty hunter (Objects in Space), I envy you for being able to watch it for the first time.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave