Finance & Money Forum

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could we have a Finance & Money Forum?

(this is the 3rd time I've asked- is that the "charm"?)

JTS

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could replace the 2008 pres elections thread...but then it'd be sub-forum of P&R; not sure if you would be cool with that location. Although, it seems as though most of the people that would post there also post in P&R so maybe it wouldn't be bad.

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could replace the 2008 pres elections thread...but then it'd be sub-forum of P&R; not sure if you would be cool with that location. Although, it seems as though most of the people that would post there also post in P&R so maybe it wouldn't be bad.

I think that's a great idea.

(but it's not going to happen)

JTS

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen on another forum where they have a "Finance, Investments, and Careers" forum.

It is pretty successful. Questions range from career advice to investment options, to home prices to getting out of debt.

I wouldn't mind trying something like this on a trial basis for a month or so, but it would have to be it's own forum, like "Books" or "Body and Health".

Here are 3 things that concern me.

1) I don't want it under P&R because so many personal finance and career decisions are non-political, and we already see questions like these in EE.

2) However, with respect to #1, I can easily see stuff getting out of hand with political replies, so we would need probably 2 assigned mods to the forum. I would want to use existing mods to start if this is on a trial basis.

3) If the forum fails, then we would have to move all the threads back to EE or wherever they best fit.

If you guys think this is still a good idea and can suggest ways to address those concerns, I'd be willing to bring it to the admins/mods and try it for a month or two if they approve.

Oh and it is much easier just to create a new forum than to edit a P&R subforum.

OP
OP
jefftheshark

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen on another forum where they have a "Finance, Investments, and Careers" forum.

It is pretty successful. Questions range from career advice to investment options, to home prices to getting out of debt.

I wouldn't mind trying something like this on a trial basis for a month or so, but it would have to be it's own forum, like "Books" or "Body and Health".

Here are 3 things that concern me.

1) I don't want it under P&R because so many personal finance and career decisions are non-political, and we already see questions like these in EE.

2) However, with respect to #1, I can easily see stuff getting out of hand with political replies, so we would need probably 2 assigned mods to the forum. I would want to use existing mods to start if this is on a trial basis.

3) If the forum fails, then we would have to move all the threads back to EE or wherever they best fit.

If you guys think this is still a good idea and can suggest ways to address those concerns, I'd be willing to bring it to the admins/mods and try it for a month or two if they approve.

Oh and it is much easier just to create a new forum than to edit a P&R subforum.

This sounds great.

Thanks!

JTS

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey JTS and all,

Here is the deal. There is no objection from the mods, however there is little interest either way.

We do have a mod that volunteered to take this on.

I'd just like to see a little more demand for this before putting in the effort to do it.

Thanks.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'd just like to see a little more demand for this before putting in the effort to do it.

JW, how about a poll? Something along:

Would you use / visit a Finance and Money Forum?

1. Yes
2. No / Indifferent

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JW, how about a poll? Something along:

Would you use / visit a Finance and Money Forum?

1. Yes
2. No / Indifferent

Go for it - you can make polls (make it public) :)

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
In the Cards forum or here? Cards board gets the most traffic.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Cards forum or here? Cards board gets the most traffic.

Ugh - no. The Cards forum does get the most traffic but that is for football.

Either here or maybe Everything Else - that is where in the past non-political finance discussion has been posted. :)

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Poll closed. 22 voted that they would be interested in the forum.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents I didn't even know this forum for announcements existed until this morning. I voted yes on the poll. IF there's enough interest I'd really be interested in it because I think this stuff comes up now often enough that it would be useful to people.

An example, on one of my UCLA basketball boards I asked my question about using IRA withdrawals to cover COBRA payments hoping someone on the group was a CPA. 3 were, all replied it was perfectly legal to do and so I posted the reply on the board with links to how to do it. Next morning I had 3 pm's from people who were also UCLA fans, were unemployed, and were thrilled to find out they could get the money for COBRA premiums back penalty free from their IRA. Like me it was going to make a huge difference in their savings.

I posted that here too but I'm not sure if people who might need to see it, would see it on EE. But if we had this discussed forum, presumably people who could use that information would be looking at the board?