Final draft thoughts

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if no CB in rounds 1 or 2.

It wouldn't surprise me, because Keim. I'd be disappointed because this is a good CB class and all our CB's other than Murphy are rentals. But there are still some decent FA's available if needs be.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think this draft is all about getting more weapons for Murray. Smith/Waddle in round 1. Freiermuth in round 2.
Or a trade back and grab Elijah Moore/Terrance Marshall late round 1 and Freiermuth round 2.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper, I'm coming over to your opinion. We pass on a CB in the first two rounds and then sign RICHARD SHERMAN to a two year deal. Now, as to whom we do select, I think it's among Smith, Vera-Tucker, Darrisaw, E & R Moore, Toney, Collins, Bateman, and Etienne. My guess:
1. Vera-Tucker
2. Bateman
I just don't believe the Cardinals feel it is as desperate of a situation as some on this board do. I am not saying which is right or wrong, but the situation reads like the Cardinals aren't going to force what they perceive as a bad fit which matches FA. (this statement of course means they will grab Asante Samuel at 16)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AVT is technically sound. Has shown great film at OG and OT. Is scheme versatile. Has requisite size and athleticism. He checks off all the boxes.
Yea, the AVT skepticism doesn’t make sense at all.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I just don't see it with AVT.
me too

i think he is a good player, i just think he is a finesse player, not a physical player.

but me thinking that probably means he will be awesome.....

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don't believe the Cardinals feel it is as desperate of a situation as some on this board do. I am not saying which is right or wrong, but the situation reads like the Cardinals aren't going to force what they perceive as a bad fit which matches FA. (this statement of course means they will grab Asante Samuel at 16)
I’d rather draft Asante than a off-ball LB :shrug:

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yea, the AVT skepticism doesn’t make sense at all.
I understand that he doesn't have Quentin Nelson type highlights but he is still a very solid player. Does need to become more physical but that is almost every college OL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AVT is technically sound. Has shown great film at OG and OT. Is scheme versatile. Has requisite size and athleticism. He checks off all the boxes.

You know who AVT reminds me of? Justin Pugh.

Positional flex at both T and G. Not a power guy, more about technique. Even their spider charts look similar. Same, height, same weight, same arm length, same 40 yard dash, same 20 yard shuttle. Pugh had a much better 3 cone, AVT a better VJ and BJ. Likely to get drafted around the same spot.

Now I like Pugh. He's a solid pro. Dependable. But I don't think I'd want to draft him at #16.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Repeating from another thread. I think we trade down and pick up another second round . With those 3 picks we end up with Toney (or Moore) Entiene and cb Samuel (or Stokes).

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than QB, there isn't a player available at #16 that we can't use.
No doubt. But I think we will be looking at players that can contribute immediately. Toney and Entiene would do that and Stokes could contribute in a smaller way.
Note, I am not saying it’s right to pass on AVT or Collins at 16. I just think we are going to attempt to make this offense dynamic like top 5.
Personally I am not comfortable with our current running back or wide receiver rooms.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Positional flex at both T and G. Not a power guy, more about technique. Even their spider charts look similar. Same, height, same weight, same arm length, same 40 yard dash, same 20 yard shuttle. Pugh had a much better 3 cone, AVT a better VJ and BJ. Likely to get drafted around the same spot.

Now I like Pugh. He's a solid pro. Dependable. But I don't think I'd want to draft him at #16.
You could do much worse than an 8 year starting OL who has played in 79% of the games over that timeframe at a league average level.

I get that we all would like a higher ceiling but the floor isn't bad.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chopper, I'm coming over to your opinion. We pass on a CB in the first two rounds and then sign RICHARD SHERMAN to a two year deal. Now, as to whom we do select, I think it's among Smith, Vera-Tucker, Darrisaw, E & R Moore, Toney, Collins, Bateman, and Etienne. My guess:
1. Vera-Tucker
2. Bateman
The fudge packers are starting to show interest in Bateman.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I understand that he doesn't have Quentin Nelson type highlights but he is still a very solid player. Does need to become more physical but that is almost every college OL.

The dude is a dude. It's way too safe for that position with our depth both inside and out. You draft dudes like him in Round 2 to 4.

This is brilliant. I wish I would have thought of it. And I agree.

At 16, I would go for more upside IMO.

Who offers that? Collins, Parsons, Smith, Waddle, Farley, Horn, and like 5 others that could still be available.

And I would again reiterate that we really need a corner. If we don't get one in round one....... we better be angling to trade up in round 2 because the entire league will see a CB pick coming from us if we don't already have one.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could do much worse than an 8 year starting OL who has played in 79% of the games over that timeframe at a league average level.

They were saying on NFL network that AVT 32” arm length is a massive red flag for a tackle?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A player I am not counting on but would love in round 2 is Quinn Meinerz OL. Interior guy who can play OG or C. Nasty and tough. Very resilient. Could sit a year if needed and it would be fine.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have been really warming up to a Collins / Simmons 10 year combo. That Could...... I REPEAT COULD...... Look a lot like a 6'5" more athletic version of Wagner and Chancellor.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They were saying on NFL network that AVT 32” arm length is a massive red flag for a tackle?
Yes but most project him to OG where he projects the best. His OT ability is more of an extra on versatility than it is on where you would want to play him.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A player I am not counting on but would love in round 2 is Quinn Meinerz OL. Interior guy who can play OG or C. Nasty and tough. Very resilient. Could sit a year if needed and it would be fine.
I could get behind this under certain circumstances. The kid is a scrapper.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No it's not bad at all. As I said I like Pugh. But that's why I find it hard to get excited about him. I see a high floor, low ceiling guy like Pugh.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The dude is a dude. It's way too safe for that position with our depth both inside and out. You draft dudes like him in Round 2 to 4.

This is brilliant. I wish I would have thought of it. And I agree.

At 16, I would go for more upside IMO.

Who offers that? Collins, Parsons, Smith, Waddle, Farley, Horn, and like 5 others that could still be available.

And I would again reiterate that we really need a corner. If we don't get one in round one....... we better be angling to trade up in round 2 because the entire league will see a CB pick coming from us if we don't already have one.
I don't believe anyone is advocating to draft AVT over Horn or Waddle. I believe the argument is taking a 10 year pro to protect your young QB over two injury riddled CBs, two off-ball LBs, and a physical outlier WR.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could get behind this under certain circumstances. The kid is a scrapper.

You should watch The Big Boys Club that came out yesterday. Lots of Meinerz content. Hard not to like him. Very impressive dude.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose