Final draft thoughts

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Any time you have an opportunity to draft a special player, I think you can say it is the right move. Jaylen Waddle, from what I have seen and then dug into this offseason, has a chance to be a special player. Same with Pitts, Chase, Sewell, AVT and Slater. That is a reason I feel they are among the top 8 draft options for the Cardinals.

I don't know that Surtain and Horn have a chance to be "special" but I do feel like they have the chance to be very good players which counts. The roster need along with their floor put them in the top 8 discussion as well.

Where I struggle is that I look at Micah Parsons and Zaven Collins in a vacuum and I believe they have a chance to be special. However, I look at our roster and recognize we have allocated a ton of resources into the ILB position which is not really considered a premium position. It is tough to look at those players and find an immediate role for them on defense.

I think Farley and Newsome have the potential to be as good as Surtain and Horn but both come with injury risk that I am not real comfortable with. I don't love the idea of taking either at 16.

Despite what people say, I don't see special when it comes to Najae Harris and Travis Etienne. Not anything close to the talent of a RB who should be drafted in the first round.

I don't really know what to do with the EDGE class and our roster. Vance obviously places a premium on players who can play assignment football and we saw that with Simmons last year. How will Paye, Phillips, Rousseau, Oweh or Ojulari play better assignment ball than Chandler Jones, Markus Golden, and Devon Kennard to contribute in 2021 and justify the #16 pick?

Isabella is gone. I said this after we signed AJ Green and am still pretty confident we will trade him for a late pick.

Tevin Jenkins and Joe Tryon are some interesting names if we trade back.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
final thoughts ??? we have 48 hours + to go
The info is in and it is very tough to predict trades. The Broncos, Pats, Bears and WFT all need a QB and will make a run for Lance and Fields but the question is where and how much?

Jimmy G to the Pats seems like their fall back plan if they can't move up. Tough to see any of the other QB needy teams going after him.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have also said that "stick and pick" may be the riskiest move for Keim because the gap in talent in round 1 and some very risky players. I will be a bit shocked if we don't move from the spot but I don't believe the compensation will be much if we move down.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
with the changes to the Pugh and Hicks contracts -- the lack of movement on Kennard's contract is notable. something has to be up there

He has good cost savings when cut, I think the organization is waiting to see how the draft plays out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF we move up my guess is it's CB, WR or OL. If we stay pat or move down it's LB, or possibly WR.

And I count Pitts as WR I honestly think in our offense that's what he'd be. As Britcard said the other day if you look at how we used Dan Arnold last year you can argue either Arnold was a WR and often Fitz was a TE based on the routes they ran and where they lined up.

If I had to guess I think we go WR in the first round. Sounds like Waddle has surpassed Smith on lots of boards and is going top 10. Based on the offseason and signing older guys with the idea of competing now, I suspect we're going to be aggressive in the draft too, go for someone who can make an immediate impact

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The info is in and it is very tough to predict trades. The Broncos, Pats, Bears and WFT all need a QB and will make a run for Lance and Fields but the question is where and how much?

Jimmy G to the Pats seems like their fall back plan if they can't move up. Tough to see any of the other QB needy teams going after him.

It was be just our luck for the Niners to trade Jimmy G for a 2nd to the Pats and then the Niners draft the guy we want 1 spot before us.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tough part about the offensive line is how many resources do the Cardinals want to dedicate to it? I know how I feel, but the team feels more comfortable with Beachum, Murray, Jones and Pugh than I do.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My prediction is it goes nothing like any of us think. The whole draft is full of surprises and we end up with a guy we didn't expect.
I kinda disagree. You know 5 QBs go in the top 20. You could even argue the top 10.

You know 2 CBs go top 16.

Three OL top 16.

Pitts, Chase and Waddle go top 16.

The EDGE class is tricky.

DL is tricky.

which CBs go 3, 4 and 5 also tricky.

What will be shocking to some is how players like Carlos Basham go round 1. Solid guys with lots of film and production. People can forget that many NFL GMs are risk-averse. Safe guys sneaking into picks 20-32 should not be shocking even if you haven't seem it mocked.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was be just our luck for the Niners to trade Jimmy G for a 2nd to the Pats and then the Niners draft the guy we want 1 spot before us.
On tv, today, one guy (forget who) said that Jimmy G makes too much money for NE to be interested in him. F/W/I/W.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jimmy Garoppolo has a very team friendly contract in terms of dead money. The Niner's can cut him him and recoup a bunch of cap space. Of the three possible qb choices, only Mac Jones projects to be able to step right in and play.

How much draft capital is the fourth quarterback off the board worth?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with two days to go, the guys I like are probably going to go before we pick, and the guys I'd like to trade back and pick probably won't have any surefire guys left at 16 for another team to move up.

I have a feeling we'll be picking a WR/Farley/Newsome/Collins and I'll just have to shrug my shoulders and hope for the best.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with two days to go, the guys I like are probably going to go before we pick, and the guys I'd like to trade back and pick probably won't have any surefire guys left at 16 for another team to move up.

I have a feeling we'll be picking a WR/Farley/Newsome/Collins and I'll just have to shrug my shoulders and hope for the best.

good to know you’re setting yourself up to bitch no matter what happens.:D

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
good to know you’re setting yourself up to bitch no matter what happens.:D
Honestly, if things go the way I think they will, I don't think I'll be bitching, I'll just be quietly disappointed. The Cards can't control who players take before them. I'm going to try to at least take a degree of positive outlook and try to get stoked about their longer term future (hopefully under another coaching staff) compared to where they fit on the 2021 roster.

Edit: May as well lay out my thoughts on each.

WR - Smith's size scares me but it'd be tantalizing to think about what some of these guys can do opposite DHop. Thing is, until 2022, they're more or less gonna be the 3rd/4th WR on the field.

Farley - Injury history, opt-out, lack of experience makes me think he'll be a non-factor in 2021, but his upside could be compelling for the future.

Newsome - See above. Same basic feeling.

Collins - Doesn't really have an immediate fit in our LB corps. Hopefully he could turn into a great LB partner for Simmons and turn into a Dansby/Washington-like duo in the coming years, but for now I don't know what he really does for us.

Who knows, maybe we get Surtain/Horn/Harris, and I'm really happy!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone else hoping for Joseph Ossai in round 2?

I wouldn't mind it. I like Ossai.

Round 2 could be a replay of round 1. There's going to be a bunch of decent CB's and OLB's on the board but all the ones I like may well be gone by the time it gets to our pick.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if no CB in rounds 1 or 2.
Chopper, I'm coming over to your opinion. We pass on a CB in the first two rounds and then sign RICHARD SHERMAN to a two year deal. Now, as to whom we do select, I think it's among Smith, Vera-Tucker, Darrisaw, E & R Moore, Toney, Collins, Bateman, and Etienne. My guess:
1. Vera-Tucker
2. Bateman

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I just don't see it with AVT. At guard maybe I guess. I would rather get Deonte Brown in a later round than AVT at 16.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave