Film study

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MB wanted it in, KM and his agent agreed to it, seems both sides are happy. In the long run this will be a nothingburger. KM will either perform up to or past the contract or he won't. IMO his physical health will determine his longevity and performance far more than any film clause in his contract.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
What an embarassing organization. Kyler, did you complete your homework?

What a laughing stock team. Bonehead Prez, GM and a brat for a quarterback.

Not a good look.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of cricket fans on this board (...) and this contract thing reminds me of an issue the Australian team had a few years ago.

Four players were suspended from a major international fixture after failing to hand in an assignment. The incident was dubbed "homeworkgate" and the coach was sacked not long after.

Midway through Australia’s tour to India in 2013, Arthur, along with captain Michael Clarke and team manager Gavin Dovey, chose to stand down four players from the Australia team after they failed to complete a simple off-field task – to give three points on how the team could progress and three points on how players could progress as individuals – after their defeat in the second Test at Hyderabad left them 2-0 down in the series with two to play.

The four players in question – Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Usman Khawaja and Mitchell Johnson – were controversially made ineligible for selection for the third Test of the series in a move that hung over Arthur for the remainder of his reign before he was replaced as Australia coach weeks before that year’s Ashes series in England by Darren Lehmann.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
They set the bar pretty low!
4 hours a week?!?
Kylers probably thrilled with that, he can do that in 1 afternoon and play video games the rest of the week!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get the "gist" but this is just another in a long list of Cardinal embarrassments so to speak. We're always doing the wrong thing at the right time, and this is just another example. No matter the motive, it should have been impressed upon him at negotiations that to whom much is given, much is expected. You don't pay a man that kind of money, and not make it clear he's got to hold up his end of the deal. I don't know who publicized this but I'm not thrilled about it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the scrutiny bothered Kyler before the contract, he hasn’t seen anything yet that will come after. He’s getting absolutely roasted everywhere lol.
The organization as a whole is taking criticism. Management and Kingsbury for allowing this for 3 years and now making a thing out of it because they are paying $250M to child.

Larry retiring is probably a damning revelation as to how bad it really is in the locker room and why we've seen the second half collapses the last 2 years. Maybe Larry's dad was telling the truth but Larry is too classy of a guy to call out a teammate and organization.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
This story is blowing up big time. Terrible unforced error by the Cards... makes us look bad. Unfortunate it's even a discussion point.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's embarrassing that it's got to this point. It all starts at the top. The fact that the coaching staff has allowed this to be an issue is part of the problem. No accountability.
Do you think Kurt Warner needed to be told to watch film? The same could be said about all the recent greats (Peyton, Brady, Brees, etc..).
The fact that this is even a point of discussion tells me all I need to know about Kyler. His athletic ability will keep us relevant for years but I doubt he has the drive or passion that is needed to be great. I hope I am wrong but I don't see him taking us to the "promised land". Unfortunately, the same can be said for the head coach and his passion to win.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The organization as a whole is taking criticism. Management and Kingsbury for allowing this for 3 years and now making a thing out of it because they are paying $250M to child.

Larry retiring is probably a damning revelation as to how bad it really is in the locker room and why we've seen the second half collapses the last 2 years. Maybe Larry's dad was telling the truth but Larry is too classy of a guy to call out a teammate and organization.
Could also be because Larry was washed up. He was 37. Maybe that’s just me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Larry retiring is probably a damning revelation as to how bad it really is in the locker room and why we've seen the second half collapses the last 2 years.
I was with you right up to here. Larry retired because he was utterly washed. He probably watched film of himself and realized that he couldn't do it anymore.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
what i dont get:

the enforcement mechanism for the study clause is terminating the contract -

So I am not sure what this gets the organization that a gentleman's agreement between ownership/FO and Murray couldn't.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he wins and gets us back to the playoffs arms will be around. Other than that I couldn’t care less
Absolutely. If he had gone 20 of 30 for 3 td’s against the Tams or played better at the end of the season we wouldn’t be talking about this.
But he didn’t and he hasn’t. HE made the statement last year about studying film. His play digressed. So the Cardinal brass had to put this into a contract while paying him 250m??? Ridiculous. I’m shocked they actually let that leak out.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 hours is pointless. Putting any clause in the contract is dumb when it should be enforced by coaching like everyone else.
It literally can't be "enforced by coaching". The CBA limits how much time the team can require players to be at the facility, and would prohibit a coach from going to Murray's house to watch over him while he studies.

Extra study can be encouraged, promoted, cajoled, etc. by coaches, but it can't be enforced by coaches.

...dbs

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave