Filling the PG hole this Offseason

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Toronto has his bird rights, they don't need to worry about cap space to resign Kawhi or Gasol because they can go over the cap to retain them.
If they are willing to pay a large LT bill. You may think yeah they would but if you ain't winning titles, owners think long and hard about going over that threshold. That is what basketball analysts predicted would be the end of the GS dynasty should they elect to keep their Big 4 and none of them leave on their own, a quarter of a billion dollar tax bill would have any owner blinking even if you are winning titles. Imagine TOR not getting past past ECF, that will have ownership mulling over their options.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they are willing to pay a large LT bill. You may think yeah they would but if you ain't winning titles, owners think long and hard about going over that threshold. That is what basketball analysts predicted would be the end of the GS dynasty should they elect to keep their Big 4 and none of them leave on their own, a quarter of a billion dollar tax bill would have any owner blinking even if you are winning titles. Imagine TOR not getting past past ECF, that will have ownership mulling over their options.

They'll let Gasol walk if need be. They traded for Kawhi with the full intention of resigning him and they'll be able to keep him without hitting the luxury tax. The tax is about $20 million above the cap so they won't be in danger of hitting the tax by resigning Kawhi alone. If they keep Gasol then they'll be close to it or in a little bit but part of the estimates for Golden State have to do with being so far over the tax because when you're over it by enough the tax gets higher and when you repeatedly pay the tax year after year then you are subject to the repeater tax also. Those aren't things Toronto needs to worry about for a while.

DeRozen was on a max deal and they traded him for Kawhi, he had like 3 more years on his contract. They weren't worried about their payroll with DeRozen and they won't worry about it with Kawhi resigning on a max deal either. Even if they get knocked out in this round to Philly, they will offer Kawhi the max to stay. They don't have to worry about a luxury tax bill for a couple more years when they have to pay Siakam. Until he comes due for a payday though, the only way they can even think about winning a title is by retaining Kawhi.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They'll let Gasol walk if need be. They traded for Kawhi with the full intention of resigning him and they'll be able to keep him without hitting the luxury tax. The tax is about $20 million above the cap so they won't be in danger of hitting the tax by resigning Kawhi alone. If they keep Gasol then they'll be close to it or in a little bit but part of the estimates for Golden State have to do with being so far over the tax because when you're over it by enough the tax gets higher and when you repeatedly pay the tax year after year then you are subject to the repeater tax also. Those aren't things Toronto needs to worry about for a while.

DeRozen was on a max deal and they traded him for Kawhi, he had like 3 more years on his contract. They weren't worried about their payroll with DeRozen and they won't worry about it with Kawhi resigning on a max deal either. Even if they get knocked out in this round to Philly, they will offer Kawhi the max to stay. They don't have to worry about a luxury tax bill for a couple more years when they have to pay Siakam. Until he comes due for a payday though, the only way they can even think about winning a title is by retaining Kawhi.
Gasol is actually signed through next year at $25M so they actually will be $4M over the cap, unless they trade him. Leonard would get $38M a year for 5 years as the max TOR could offer is $190M. So they would be well over the LT threshold. But that is even if Kawhi wants to stay in TOR, he would be playing with a younger and more talented core with the Nets or Clippers than in TOR where Gasol will be 35 and Lowry will be 34 next year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The only caveat to that is the new GS stadium and the top dollar ticket prices they charge now. Hard to charge those prices for a non-playoff team. I don't see Curry, Thompson, and Green enough to get them by. Durant is their bail out guy. Just like yesterday, Curry hit the game winner and got all the press, but Durant kept them in the game the whole second half. Everytime the clock wound down, or especially in the fourth, they used Durant to start the offense, or take the shot with the clock winding down. They lean on him a ton. They will be a good team, not a great team when Durant leaves.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only caveat to that is the new GS stadium and the top dollar ticket prices they charge now. Hard to charge those prices for a non-playoff team. I don't see Curry, Thompson, and Green enough to get them by. Durant is their bail out guy. Just like yesterday, Curry hit the game winner and got all the press, but Durant kept them in the game the whole second half. Everytime the clock wound down, or especially in the fourth, they used Durant to start the offense, or take the shot with the clock winding down. They lean on him a ton. They will be a good team, not a great team when Durant leaves.

They won 73 games in a season and a title before KD joined them. I do think they're too reliant on him now but I think they'll improve without KD because they can play more team style basketball again.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you go to Nets boards you will see that most of their fans think Russell has to take a discount to stay.

Fans usually think that their players should take discounts to stay. A lot of this board didn't want to max out Booker.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Fans usually think that their players should take discounts to stay. A lot of this board didn't want to max out Booker.
It's different when you give a guy a 159 million dollar contract to these 200+ million dollar contracts when you see the percentage that impacts for what you can pay other guys. I remember Kobe's last contract and it was something crazy. I almost look at Booker as a bargain. Arguably right now, he would be the reason I would buy a ticket to watch the Suns. Until they start winning, you go to a game and maybe see him drop 50! :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly related to the Suns point guard search. D'Angelo Russel cited for marijuana possession.

Brooklyn Nets point guard D'Angelo Russell was cited for marijuana possession after being detained Wednesday at New York's LaGuardia Airport following a baggage check, a spokesperson for the New York Port Authority Police said.

Russell was en route to Louisville, Kentucky, where his father lives.

The spokesman said Russell was summoned for possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana and later released.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26657280/nets-russell-cited-marijuana-possession

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Possibly related to the Suns point guard search. D'Angelo Russel cited for marijuana possession.

Brooklyn Nets point guard D'Angelo Russell was cited for marijuana possession after being detained Wednesday at New York's LaGuardia Airport following a baggage check, a spokesperson for the New York Port Authority Police said.

Russell was en route to Louisville, Kentucky, where his father lives.

The spokesman said Russell was summoned for possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana and later released.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26657280/nets-russell-cited-marijuana-possession

Still amazes me the dumb stuff people do.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What makes the D'Lo arrest even worse is he tried sneaking the pot on the flight in a fake Arizona Ice Tea can. That doesn't seem bad but you can't bring a 24 oz can of liquid on a plane. So he picked the worst possible "container" to use to sneak it on the plane with him. I imagine TSA told him to trash it and he wouldn't so a confrontation ensued that led it to being revealed it was one of those fake cans you can stash stuff in.

He's a 21 year old kid though. He's never been able to bring a can of tea through airport security at any point in his life. You got to be smarter than that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes the D'Lo arrest even worse is he tried sneaking the pot on the flight in a fake Arizona Ice Tea can. That doesn't seem bad but you can't bring a 24 oz can of liquid on a plane. So he picked the worst possible "container" to use to sneak it on the plane with him. I imagine TSA told him to trash it and he wouldn't so a confrontation ensued that led it to being revealed it was one of those fake cans you can stash stuff in.

He's a 21 year old kid though. He's never been able to bring a can of tea through airport security at any point in his life. You got to be smarter than that.

Not that it changes your point much but Russell is 23 years old.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not that it changes your point much but Russell is 23 years old.

Appreciate that, I didn't look it up and figured he was the same age as Booker since they were in the same draft and were good friends as well. I figured 21 or 22 since Booker is one of the younger players from his class but I thought that had to do with where his birthday fell.

When I was writing though I was debating on writing an age or just saying he's too young to have flown in a pre-9/11 world so it shouldn't be an issue of thinking he could bring a can of tea on a plane. That was my point, which still stands at 23. He may have flown pre-9/11 but he was too young to form a routine at that point.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would encourage people who were hoping for Terry Rozier to watch the Celtics in this playoffs.

The guy is not a starting caliber player. I'm not even sure if he is a decent backup. He is playing terrible basketball right now and his regular season wasn't much better. I would not be at all surprised if the Celtics let him walk.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would encourage people who were hoping for Terry Rozier to watch the Celtics in this playoffs.

The guy is not a starting caliber player. I'm not even sure if he is a decent backup. He is playing terrible basketball right now and his regular season wasn't much better. I would not be at all surprised if the Celtics let him walk.

Outside of a few games in the playoffs last season, this has always been who Rozier is. Reminds me way too much of the last Boston Celtic point guard we signed as a free agent...

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Could be wrong but I don't recall Rozier being a name mentioned much once James Jones took over as GM last year. He was someone discussed last offseason and Gambo said the Suns had a lot of interest in him but as the season got closer talk of him quieted it down. McD was canned and Rozier was mentioned at varying points by posters but I'm not sure any of the "insiders" suggested the Suns still had a lot of interest in him. Maybe I remember it wrong, I'm not sure. I thought I'd ask or mention it to see what others say.

It's definitely troubling that he's not capable of producing right now when his matchup with Bledsoe helped elevate his stock last offseason. I'm not sure what his problem is but I wouldn't be shocked if Boston ends up pulling their qualifying offer this summer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If VanFleet becomes available via trade, I would settle for him if it allowed us to keep our core guys in tact.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If VanFleet becomes available via trade, I would settle for him if it allowed us to keep our core guys in tact.

I'm okay with VanVleet, Joseph, Wright or any of the other established back-up point guards as a stop gap to hold the fort if we draft Ja. Otherwise, I think we need to do better than that (though any of them would still be better than playing Tyler Johnson out of position at the point).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Van Fleet is garbage

None of those guys are starter material

Garbage is an overstatement but I agree, he is not a starter. Any team that starts him regularly will immediately be in search of his replacement. He's a very good backup, capable of the occasional start but he isn't an everyday starter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying VanVleet $60 million is a huge reach. I'd rather use that money towards keeping Oubre.

If the Suns draft Morant it might be preferable to keep Tyler Johnson and add another veteran point guard on a low salary.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave