Federal documents detail sweeping potential NCAA violations involving high-profile players, schools

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Wetzel says Gatto got an extra charge due to the Kansas stuff. He's expected to get something like 7 years, Dawkins and Code more like 3 years. He also said the big question now is will Gatto and Code cooperate with authorities to try and get a shorter sentence and if so will that impact if the Feds allow the defendants in the next two trials to change their pleas in exchange for deals now. Essentially saying will it be a race with Gatto and Code trying to get a deal before Book, Bland and Evans can, or will the feds be willing to give all of them deals in exchange for more evidence. Given they already got the Adidas people what evidence would the feds want, evidence against Nike or Under Armour, or evidence against head coaches? My guess is against other shoe companies I really doubt the feds care about the coaches, they're just collateral damage.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Verdict just out, guilty on all counts, the jury found the schools were the victims and federal crimes were committed.

I would assume this means some of the assistant coaches who entered not guilty pleas earlier are going to now ask to change their plea and cut a deal. My assumption is based on the idea they didn't believe it was going to be proven a crime was committed so they went NG on that assumption. Now that they know a crime has been found to be committed, they're going to do some CYA.

So Gatto, Code and Dawkins are going to prison? I mean, they committed a crime but damn...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Gatto, Code and Dawkins are going to prison? I mean, they committed a crime but damn...

They get sentenced in March but yes right now it's assumed Gatto will get 7 years and the other 2 will get 3 years. They could now try and cooperate and get lighter sentences but who knows since the trial already happened.

I'm not sure how I feel, I don't believe for a minute the schools don't know but I guess the argument is does the coach knowing count as the school knowing? Where does the Athletic Dept stop and the school starts. I can believe that coaches know and the AD's probably know but the president or chancellor doesn't but I guess it depends on the school. But that's the argument they convinced the jury of, that the schools were being defrauded into giving scholarships to players who were already ineligible because they'd been paid.

AS Wetzel said the jury effectively turned amateurism into federal law. he was surprised he thought Dawkins might be found not guilty, seemed to expect Gatto and Code would be guilty.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add wasn't heavily reported but both sides agreed to redacting Miami from the allegations. That seems to mean they're conceding they have no evidence Larranaga knew of any bidding on Nassir Little because they believe the only bidding for Little was between Dawkins and Augustine the AAU coach trying to get someone to bid money for him. You can take that 2 ways, there was no bidding war so Arizona is clean on that one, or Miami has been cleared but the other school mentioned in the original allegations, believed to be Arizona, was NOT cleared largely because it wasn't considered central to the case on trial. If there was no offer from Miami, then Adidas, Gatto, Code etc weren't guilty in that particular case so they didn't need to pursue it anymore because they and Dawkins were the ones on trial.

After reading the transcripts on ESPN I kind of think there was no offer at all for Little. Augustine took some money from Adidas. When you read it, Code and Gatto discuss Arizona offering 150 for Little, but they have no evidence they were just told that by Dawkins and Augustine. then Dawkins and Gassnola are discussing it and Gassnola says how bad it looks for Augustine to have an Adidas contract but be sending his best player, Little, to arizona(nike). The way Dawkins responds with such short answers to me is someone who's lying to Gassnola and thinks the less he says the better. They get Code and Gatto discussing how they might not be able to match the Arizona offer but they might not have to, and they don't have to pay it all up front most will come in 2018, that's just not plausible to me. They think Arizona has offered 150K for the kid but they're going to win the bidding war with a lower bid just because some of it comes up front? I think that's because Augustine and Dawkins realized they'd asked for too much money, 150, and were telling Adidas if you pay up front Little will take less money, it was the only way they felt they could still scam Adidas for money. Adidas still believed they were bidding against Arizona but I don't think they actually were it was just Dawkins and Augustine trying to salvage some money out of the scam. They probably assumed Augustine would pocket the up front money, and when the kid did NOT go to Miami, that would be it. I think Augustine at that point had probably figured if he leveraged other players(Balsa) he could keep his Adidas contract by just telling Adidas the kid had taken the Arizona offer after already accepting money from Adidas. Adidas wasn't going to complain hey he took money from us but went to Nike.

Until I realized Adidas had paid some money to Augustine, and saw the transcripts I wasn't sure clearing Miami equated to clearing Arizona in the Little story too but now I think it does. I think that there likely never was any offer from Nike they just thought they could convince Adidas there was. I also think clearly Augustine was running multiple scams, he was scamming Adidas, but he was also scamming Dawkins because he convinced him he could control Little when he clearly couldn't.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
After reading the transcripts on ESPN I kind of think there was no offer at all for Little. Augustine took some money from Adidas. When you read it, Code and Gatto discuss Arizona offering 150 for Little, but they have no evidence they were just told that by Dawkins and Augustine. then Dawkins and Gassnola are discussing it and Gassnola says how bad it looks for Augustine to have an Adidas contract but be sending his best player, Little, to arizona(nike). The way Dawkins responds with such short answers to me is someone who's lying to Gassnola and thinks the less he says the better. They get Code and Gatto discussing how they might not be able to match the Arizona offer but they might not have to, and they don't have to pay it all up front most will come in 2018, that's just not plausible to me. They think Arizona has offered 150K for the kid but they're going to win the bidding war with a lower bid just because some of it comes up front? I think that's because Augustine and Dawkins realized they'd asked for too much money, 150, and were telling Adidas if you pay up front Little will take less money, it was the only way they felt they could still scam Adidas for money. Adidas still believed they were bidding against Arizona but I don't think they actually were it was just Dawkins and Augustine trying to salvage some money out of the scam. They probably assumed Augustine would pocket the up front money, and when the kid did NOT go to Miami, that would be it. I think Augustine at that point had probably figured if he leveraged other players(Balsa) he could keep his Adidas contract by just telling Adidas the kid had taken the Arizona offer after already accepting money from Adidas. Adidas wasn't going to complain hey he took money from us but went to Nike.

Until I realized Adidas had paid some money to Augustine, and saw the transcripts I wasn't sure clearing Miami equated to clearing Arizona in the Little story too but now I think it does. I think that there likely never was any offer from Nike they just thought they could convince Adidas there was. I also think clearly Augustine was running multiple scams, he was scamming Adidas, but he was also scamming Dawkins because he convinced him he could control Little when he clearly couldn't.

These tweets are by a guy you’re probably aware of who was responding to a PHX radio show that just butchered everything this morning regarding this case. They were basically speaking as if everything Dawkins and Code were discussing as fact and it was embarrassing.

There’s a lot in response but it’s a really good breakdown of the situation. There’s about 15 follow ups...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These tweets are by a guy you’re probably aware of who was responding to a PHX radio show that just butchered everything this morning regarding this case. They were basically speaking as if everything Dawkins and Code were discussing as fact and it was embarrassing.

There’s a lot in response but it’s a really good breakdown of the situation. There’s about 15 follow ups...

I only see 1) is there more after that I can't find it on his twitter page.

I think the bulk of it below #1 got deleted due to language?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I only see 1) is there more after that I can't find it on his twitter page.

I think the bulk of it below #1 got deleted due to language?

Something is up with the link I provided. I’ll see if they sho up here.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting but he makes the same mistake I see often on Arizona boards. People start off with the notion everyone cheats, and then systematically deny Arizona did anything wrong and that Book was a rogue coach. Arizona did an internal investigation that proved that, that's exactly what they wanted it to prove. USC did an investigation that said nothing else had happened and two days later Yahoo revealed Boatwright and Metu had both taken money. USC hired outside lawyers and experts to do the investigation and missed the fact that the 2 best players on the team had both taken money? The reality is they don't have subpoena power or really any legal power to hold over these kids so the kids are free to lie, USC found that out the hard way.

One of the more obvious outcomes of the first trial was everyone at Adidas believed that Nike was buying players for Arizona. Either that was all fabricated by Dawkins, or Adidas had some reason to think that was true and Dawkins exploited that in the Little case.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Interesting but he makes the same mistake I see often on Arizona boards. People start off with the notion everyone cheats, and then systematically deny Arizona did anything wrong and that Book was a rogue coach. Arizona did an internal investigation that proved that, that's exactly what they wanted it to prove. USC did an investigation that said nothing else had happened and two days later Yahoo revealed Boatwright and Metu had both taken money. USC hired outside lawyers and experts to do the investigation and missed the fact that the 2 best players on the team had both taken money? The reality is they don't have subpoena power or really any legal power to hold over these kids so the kids are free to lie, USC found that out the hard way.

One of the more obvious outcomes of the first trial was everyone at Adidas believed that Nike was buying players for Arizona. Either that was all fabricated by Dawkins, or Adidas had some reason to think that was true and Dawkins exploited that in the Little case.

Not sure what an internal investigation can uncover short of Miller admitting something. Miller was investigated by the feds and all that came up was talking with agents that I don’t believe is an NCAA violation (depending on the time of year maybe). The school can’t take action based on hearsay by non-realible testimony. None of the original FBI schools fired their coach. The false ESPN report is what changed everything in the public’s eyes.

If that report never came out I’m not sure how he’d be viewed differently than Enfield. Pasternak and Book could very well be dirty but there’s no proof they violated rules.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what an internal investigation can uncover short of Miller admitting something. Miller was investigated by the feds and all that came up was talking with agents that I don’t believe is an NCAA violation (depending on the time of year maybe). The school can’t take action based on hearsay by non-realible testimony. None of the original FBI schools fired their coach. The false ESPN report is what changed everything in the public’s eyes.

If that report never came out I’m not sure how he’d be viewed differently than Enfield. Pasternak and Book could very well be dirty but there’s no proof they violated rules.

I don't think Arizona should fire Miller unless they have reason to think he lied to them. As for the difference between Miller and Enfield, again, Enfield suspended Melton all season and screwed up what could have been a great season for USC to do it, Miller didn't suspend anybody even though he had been given reason to believe he had anywhere between 2 and 4 players who were ineligible depending on if Alkins and Ayton are the 2 players (6 and 7 I think) or if those were 2 other kids and Alkins was the kid who already got paid, and Ayton was the kid who Adidas paid. He didn't suspend any of those players he went in the mindset of win and vacate later.

Arizona handled the FBI story differently than any other school involved. Everyone else who was involved suspended kids they had reason to believe had been named.

Miller fired Book, that was really it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gatto got 9 months, Dawkins and Code 6 months. All 3 are appealing of course, and insisting if they are to be sentenced it can't be to regular prison, in this case federal prison.

I certainly don't think they deserve to do hard time but the point was made that their entire argument comes down to lots of people do this, and the response is they all knew it was wrong. My guess is Gatto got the most because he was forging documents to cover the illicit payments, having to create fake invoices etc?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 assistants going to jail.

College basketball bribery trial: As another coach is sentenced to prison, it's time for the NCAA to act
Former Oklahoma State and South Carolina assistant Lamont Evans was
sentenced Friday to three months in prison

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...enced-to-prison-its-time-for-the-ncaa-to-act/

Evans helped construct South Carolina to national prominence -- players he recruited were on the Gamecocks' 2017 Final Four team -- and then parlayed that opportunity into getting a higher-paying job at Oklahoma State.

^^^^^

Frank Martin , HC@ South carolina and ESPN's favorite son, is dirty and always has been going back to his HS coaching days with Shakey Rodriguez @ Miami High, so no surprise his recruiter gets busted.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor seems to be this is probably the week the first 2 schools will get notified by the NCAA with a notice of allegations. The CBS article last month said to expect 2 school in early July and people seem to think this is the week that's going to happen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NC State. No surprise.

Wondering if #2 is Louisville, Arizona or someone else? I initially assumed Arizona would be one of the first two based on the wording in the CBS story but now I'm not so sure.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Wondering if #2 is Louisville, Arizona or someone else? I initially assumed Arizona would be one of the first two based on the wording in the CBS story but now I'm not so sure.

Arizona wont be #2. Louisville, Kansas, USC, Auburn, or anyone else who had players ineligible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona wont be #2. Louisville, Kansas, USC, Auburn, or anyone else who had players ineligible.

They changed the wording of that story to say it wasn't just schools that had ineligible players. That's why I had assumed it was going to be arizona when they said coaches who were mentioned in the most recent trial were going to be involved since Miller clearly was.

I had heard rumors yesterday that Arizona was about to get notified along with one other but now that I see NC State is the first I'm thinking it won't be because I assumed Louisville would be 1 of the first 2.

On that list I think Kansas is the only school who had an ineligible player and he didn't play and has been reinstated. USC sat Melton, Louisville never played Bowen he never even really got to school.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Like a horse with blinders. Jesus.
I never said that Arizona wasn’t getting nailed. I said it won’t be one of the ones who gets a NOA in the first wave. We didn’t have anyone who was ruled ineligible. Just facts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So based on the transcripts the FBI released I would say the biggest concern for Arizona is if I'm reading Book and Dawkins correctly they are talking about Ayton, in June before he'd played, and discussing how he'll clear(NCAA clearinghouse) and they both are saying they think already has someone(an agent) and if he does that's ok, if not your boy(Miller) said he'd allow them(Dawkins and Book) to try and work a deal with him. And then Dawkins said he should already have a bag(money presumably) and they discuss Miller is taking care of them which gets into the 10 a month that came out in the trial.

So obviously it could just be Book talking BS but if I read that right, it's Book on tape telling Dawkins that a kid he expects to clear, Ayton, probably already has an agent, probably already has been paid, and if Miller would step aside might agree to work with them. Which would mean an assistant coach at Arizona is under the impression his star recruit has violated his amateur status, and yet is openly saying they think he'll clear meaning we are going to play a kid knowing full well he shouldn't actually be eligible.

They talk about Alkins too and that's the same old story they had reason to believe he wasn't eligible and played him but it all depends on if you believe he or his "cousin" actually got any money. The way its' worded it sounds like Alkins initially got money BEFORE Dawkins and the FBI got involved but it's not clear.

So certainly not a good look for Arizona but probably no smoking gun there beyond clearly if Book really believed what he said, he should have informed the compliance officer that Alkins and Ayton were ineligible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Utah's probation is certainly interesting. Cited for failure to have an atmosphere of compliance. Apparently the biggest violation was assistant Tommy Connor misread the recruiting calendar and not only contacted a recruiting during an NCAA dead period, he set up a visit with the entire coaching staff during the dead period. When their Coach K figured out the mistake they self reported to the Pac 12 and the NCAA. Another major violation cited by the NCAA was allowing coaches to attend a "scrimmage" that featured a recruitable age prospect who was not committed. that prospect, is one of Coach K's 3 sons, apparently they only had 9 guys so he was the 10th guy so they could run 5 on 5, the coaches being there was completely within NCAA rules, except for the 10th guy not being a Utah player. So they could have run the scrimmage but all the coaches by rule should have left the gym, failing to do so, gave them an unfair recruiting advantage with the recruitable age kid. Again I would think being his father was already a pretty big advantage, it's not clear which son it was but one of them is apparently in a post grad year and being recruited by Ivy league schools, the other one is not a Pac 12 level recruit, the 3rd was a soph in HS. So they're being cited for getting an unfair advantage with the coaches son, who they apparently are not even actually recruiting.

Connor got a 1 year show cause for his transgression.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr