Fast Break Offense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
"The great ones always listen," NBA coach Hubie Brown told me and host of other coaches one day back in the early 1980s when we attended a Nike Coaches clinic.

Brown offered a salient example as proof. He said that in his first year as an assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks, he was assigned to coach the big men, one of whom happened to be NBA All-Star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

"I mean here I was a relatively unknown coach barely over six feet tall who has been assigned to coach one of the game's great centers. Jabbar could have just taken one look at me and laughed. He never did. In fact, he chose to listen to what i had to say...and I learned right then and there that the great ones always listen---because they are always trying to get better...because they are always trying to come up with new ways to gain an edge on the competition."

Brown proceeded to give a clinic on the fundamentals of playing the center position that none of the coaches in the crowd had ever seen anywhere---it was so precise---every aspect of it, from the footwork to the body positioning, to the arm maneuverings.

When I brought this knowledge back to my high school basketball team---what Brown taught me enabled my smallish 6'2" center to average 17.5 ppg and 11.4 rpg and 5.6 apg---which garnered him All-League recognition. All because he had not only the fundamentals down pat, but the confidence that comes with having the competitive edge.

Fast forward to this past Sunday when the Patriots ran a no-huddle hurry-up offense versus the Broncos that was so fast and furious that they ran 89 plays, gained 35 first downs (a team record), gained over 200 yards on the ground and over 300 yards in the air which propelled them to a 31-7 lead---all this because Bill Belichick became fascinated with Chip Kelly's "Faster Show on Turf" offense at Oregon and decided to pick Kelly's brain on how he pulls his 52.5 ppg offense offense.

Kelly informed Belichick that the calls they make are single word calls---like "strike" or "whirl." Beliichick was thusly reminded of his first NFL coaching gig with the Colts in 1975 when the Colts actually made similar one word, one syllable calls.

The thing about the one word calls is that all 11 offensive players know exactly what the formation is, what the motions are, what the assignments, both blocking and routes, and they know the snap count. With one call, they are ready to go.

The other thing is---why has Oregon under Kelly been so successful at running the ball out of a spread formation and hurry-up tempo?

Here are the answers:

1. Running the hurry-up ensures that the defense can't switch personnel--- and because they are spreading the field, it makes it imperative that the opposing defense plays a nickel-type sub package.

Right there you have a competitive edge running the ball---because the traditional two down run stuffing defense is no longer on the field.

2. The defense has a much more difficult time running its blitz packages---because they have to adjust so quickly to formation that they don't know exactly where their personnel will be at the snap of the ball.

Again---competitive edge to the offense.

3. Then there is the fatigue factor---it's like turning a football game into a soccer game---all that running around---and having to keep the same players on the field much longer than any DC wishes.

Yes, once again---competitive edge to the offense.

So---you might be wondering what does this have to do with the Cardinals?

Actually you might be surprised by the two-fold answer.

1. When the Cardinals beat the Patriots in Foxboro---clearly Ray Horton---who had been targeting this game all summer---gained the competitive edge on defense in the game. When the Patiriots were having such a difficult time dealing with Horton's array of blitzes and pressures, Belichick had to think of a way to ensure that he wouldn't be outfoxed in this manner again---he at least had to come up with a counter, if not a total solution.

Now mind you---Horton was also smart enough to realize that he couldn't give his defense the competitive advantage in that game if he were to play the base 3-4 defense---instead he played a 4-2-5 virtually the entire game---and he had tendency blitz calls---off of formation and down & distance scenarios---and while Horton may not have been as accurate after the game in saying what he knew about the Patriots' tendencies, he sure was correct more often than not.

The great news for the Cardinals is that on that day Ray Horton was two to three games ahead of Bill Belichick---Bellichick now has the answer, but he didn't have it ready then---it took what he saw in that game to motivate the change.

2. This also, when you think about it, could very well be the direction the Cardinals' offense now needs to take. Reasons?

a). Both Kolb and Skelton play better in the hurry-up. Kolb is always talking about "tempo" and this is exactly what he means.

b). The Cardinals can't run the ball effectively out of a traditional offense this year anyway.

c). The Cardinals have a defense that can support a fast-paced offense because it's strong enough to generate 3s and out or turnovers to get the ball right back in the hands of the offense.

d). The best playmakers on offense are the receivers---now more than ever.

e). This can slow down the pass rush by tiring it out---AND by giving it reason to worry about the running options, such as the straight shotgun handoffs, or the draws or the reverses....added to the variety of short RB passes, the flat, the circle, the flare, the screen and the longer sideline wheel route.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't you know the hurry up offense tires out the offensive line more than the opposing Defense? Or so I've heard on ASFN. :D

With the injuries, the Cards are now like a second tier college team that can't out recruit the big boys. So how do they compete? With the spread offense. Which basically is what you are saying is what the Cards need to do now with a few tweaks to recognize the bigger stronger players in the NFL. We have receivers out the wazoo and nothing but miniature yet quick running backs. So the spread/hurry up makes perfect sense. Making it even better is, as you wrote, unlike those college teams we actually have top tier talent on defense.

Teams only have 41 position players on game day*. Why not try to tire out a team with superior talent? The only thing you have to lose is a game you would lose anyway running a conventional offense.

*45 minus the long snapper, kicker, punter and #2 QB.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
e). This can slow down the pass rush by tiring it out---AND by giving it reason to worry about the running options, such as the straight shotgun handoffs, or the draws or the reverses....added to the variety of short RB passes, the flat, the circle, the flare, the screen and the longer sideline wheel route.

Excellent post. Honestly, I don't know why we don't do more of this. Kolb looked like a different guy when we played with this kind of tempo. I keep thinking they must be saving the hurry-up but I can't imagine what for.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent post. Honestly, I don't know why we don't do more of this. Kolb looked like a different guy when we played with this kind of tempo. I keep thinking they must be saving the hurry-up but I can't imagine what for.

Steve

Urban said that Ryan Williams wasn't ready to play in the no huddle, which surprised me.

I won't be surprised at all to see more of it with LSH or Powell in there, they both apparently know the offense well enough to do it and Williams didn't.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Excellent post. Clearly going the traditional route hasn't led to much success offensively, so why not? It's not like our offense can get much worse at this point.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
That's a great post, the hurry up DOES NOT need to be a spread offense.

In fact what would work well against it would be a max protect package because we have solid WR's, who will work any coverage.

The TE's present more coverage problems.

LF/AR................................................. .....LT..LG..C..D3..RT..TE1
.................................................. ............. ....Kolb...................TE2..LF/AR

.................................................. .................LS-H

That's who you put out there, Housler is basically another WR since he can't block but he can chip you'd hope, anyhow that's the base formation, out of which you can simply develop multiple looks, some motion then do different things out of it, always line up that way to start and go like hell, just as fast and furious as you can, very few running plays more WC plays than anything, some draws, a screen etc.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban said that Ryan Williams wasn't ready to play in the no huddle, which surprised me.

I won't be surprised at all to see more of it with LSH or Powell in there, they both apparently know the offense well enough to do it and Williams didn't.

Yeah, I found that surprising also. Anyway, given how little Williams was able to do for us when he was playing, you'd think they would have moved this direction already.

Steve

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Throwing accuracy will be KEY if they go this route. Kolb cant miss like he was missing last Thurs if you have any hope to get in the rhythm, keep the D off balance and gain that "competitive edge."

We always speak of Kolbs intermediate accuracy. Its time for him to show it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throwing accuracy will be KEY if they go this route. Kolb cant miss like he was missing last Thurs if you have any hope to get in the rhythm, keep the D off balance and gain that "competitive edge."

Well, he was pretty accurate on that one hurry-up drive that beat Seattle. I'm willing to leap to conclusions on the basis of one possession. Mostly because I don't think we have a lot of other choices.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now mind you---Horton was also smart enough to realize that he couldn't give his defense the competitive advantage in that game if he were to play the base 3-4 defense---instead he played a 4-2-5 virtually the entire game

I admit I wasn't really paying attention to the game, but I'm somewhat certain I saw a lot of 20 fronts with "spurs" (or hybrids, if you wish) standing up in the 9 techniques that gave the appearance of a 4-man front. It's what made me stop and watch the the second half. I'd never, ever seen a 2-3-6 run in a non-hail mary situation. I couldn't believe how much pressure they were getting up the A-gap in that alignment.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There two kinds of accuracy in the NFL: The kind you have, and the kind you have under pressure. Warner was the master of the latter. Kolb obviously doesn't like pressure, and that's a bad thing with what the Cardinals are trying to do with the offensive line they have.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Nicely done Mitch. Really, is there any other possible/viable solution?? A "Fast Break" solution is actually the only chance we have to move the ball...

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
There two kinds of accuracy in the NFL: The kind you have, and the kind you have under pressure. Warner was the master of the latter. Kolb obviously doesn't like pressure, and that's a bad thing with what the Cardinals are trying to do with the offensive line they have.

The offense is still designed like we have Warner, we don't, haven't had him for several years now.

He's not comming back, this is why I think a base max protect formation with the combination of a hurry up offense works well.

A... It dictates personell on the field for the defense.

B... It gives the QB the most time, every route can be designed with one if not more hot routes to dump the thing off.

C... It stops the stupidity of running the HB into the brick wall he's going to meet on 1st and 10.

Play action is gone sure, it wasn't going to scare anyone anyhow, any runs you do, pull a guard, but no deep handoffs, none, ever, short screens to the RB in place of draws there's a lot of ways to work this.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offense is still designed like we have Warner, we don't, haven't had him for several years now.

He's not comming back, this is why I think a base max protect formation with the combination of a hurry up offense works well.

A... It dictates personell on the field for the defense.

B... It gives the QB the most time, every route can be designed with one if not more hot routes to dump the thing off.

C... It stops the stupidity of running the HB into the brick wall he's going to meet on 1st and 10.

Play action is gone sure, it wasn't going to scare anyone anyhow, any runs you do, pull a guard, but no deep handoffs, none, ever, short screens to the RB in place of draws there's a lot of ways to work this.

I'd like to seem them try something. Anything different. I keep coming back to this reality: It's pretty impossible to come up with an effective NFL scheme when you can't run the ball and your tackles can't pass protect. Neither of those things are Kolb's fault.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Nicely done Mitch. Really, is there any other possible/viable solution?? A "Fast Break" solution is actually the only chance we have to move the ball...

That's just not true, when we did some max protect packages Kolb completed passes.

He needs more time, it may be unfair to require that, I'd rather have a gunslinger like Warner back there but that's not who our QB is.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to give him more time with a 5 wide set out there, with no help for your LT, we've tried this over and over again and it dosen't work.

Insanity would be to see them try this yet again.

Running the ball isn't required if you are creative enough with what you are doing, and if you do what Mitch is saying paradoxically you'll probably then be able to run the ball some because there's a surprise element to it.

The NFL is a fun sport to watch but it's very stilted in many ways on creating new ways to do things.

A lot of the creativity comes out of college and high school, the NFL keeps thinking it's seen everything, it hasn't even scratched the surface yet.

The primary weapon the offense has is it knows what it's going to do and the defense has figure it out after the fact.

What too many NFL teams do is reliquish that leverage right back to the defense by operating in very predictable fashions, the key is multiple plays out of one formation, perfected plays, with whatever personell you have.

They all still have the primary advantage of knowing what they are doing the defense must guess.

With our defense any creative OC can figure out how to score 20 points a game with our talent at WR.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good post Mitch!

I've said this in the past because that's what Kolb did at Stephenville HS & UofH...fits him perfectly.

Btw lets make a trade for Chris Johnson from the Titans...offer a 4th with a possible conditional 2nd, depending on his performance the rest of the year! Imagine CJ running out of the shotgun wow

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There's some problems with this offense. Oregon does it and is very effective but they also have superior talent. As Duck pointed out, inferior teams run the spread offense but not necessarily a hurry up offense. Where the superior have the biggest advantage in college is from a depth standpoint. So, it doesn't make sense to try and tire out the defense while tiring your own team in the process when the other team's 2nd stringers are much better.

As for the Cards, the no huddle is an option and could be utilized more often but it can't be the run all the time. What is going to happen when the Cards have 3 straight very quick 3 and outs, then score, and then 3 more quick 3 and outs? The defense will not only get burned out, they will develop animosity towards the offense for not getting them a breather. If the offense was guaranteed to work all, or most of the time, then, yes, it's a good concept. In reality, it's not going to work all the time and you're looking at shooting yourslef in the foot because the Cards would be actually be wearing out the strength of their team, the defense. Plus, Denver was coming back pretty strong at the end and that partly had to with NE's getting tired.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
There's some problems with this offense. Oregon does it and is very effective but they also have superior talent. As Duck pointed out, inferior teams run the spread offense but not necessarily a hurry up offense. Where the superior have the biggest advantage in college is from a depth standpoint. So, it doesn't make sense to try and tire out the defense while tiring your own team in the process when the other team's 2nd stringers are much better.

As for the Cards, the no huddle is an option and could be utilized more often but it can't be the run all the time. What is going to happen when the Cards have 3 straight very quick 3 and outs, then score, and then 3 more quick 3 and outs? The defense will not only get burned out, they will develop animosity towards the offense for not getting them a breather. If the offense was guaranteed to work all, or most of the time, then, yes, it's a good concept. In reality, it's not going to work all the time and you're looking at shooting yourslef in the foot because the Cards would be actually be wearing out the strength of their team, the defense. Plus, Denver was coming back pretty strong at the end and that partly had to with NE's getting tired.

We 3 and out a lot as it is, I don't see how this helps the defense out anymore but if TOP were that important then we'd of won the game cause we won the TOP handily in that game, in fact I kept waiting for St Louis DE's to have to be carted off the field from exhaustion, they were getting tired just not soon enough.

Anything you do has holes in it, nothing works if it dosen't work at all, it's a given that if you're going to do this you MUST get some first downs, the point is you should, if you don't true you're dead but that's why the Pats do it well, look at the first down records as proof.

If you do this and can't get the first downs then yeah it's stupid, the point IS to get first downs.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
We 3 and out a lot as it is, I don't see how this helps the defense out anymore but if TOP were that important then we'd of won the game cause we won the TOP handily in that game, in fact I kept waiting for St Louis DE's to have to be carted off the field from exhaustion, they were getting tired just not soon enough.

Anything you do has holes in it, nothing works if it dosen't work at all, it's a given that if you're going to do this you MUST get some first downs, the point is you should, if you don't true you're dead but that's why the Pats do it well, look at the first down records as proof.

If you do this and can't get the first downs then yeah it's stupid, the point IS to get first downs.
but there is a difference going 3 and out and using about 40-50 seconds of real time and huddling up, thus using about 3 minutes real time. That may not sound like alot but it adds up pretty quickly. Plus, when fatigued, injuries come more into play. Either offense, there is no guarantee of getting 1st downs.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is going to happen when the Cards have 3 straight very quick 3 and outs, then score, and then 3 more quick 3 and outs? The defense will not only get burned out, they will develop animosity towards the offense for not getting them a breather.

You must be registered for see images attach

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great post, Mitch.

(And great story about Cap. He's a smart, smart man. The story reflects it. He's smart enough to not just listen but to know WHEN he should listen. That's one of the things that made him the best IMHO.)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post, Mitch.

(And great story about Cap. He's a smart, smart man. The story reflects it. He's smart enough to not just listen but to know WHEN he should listen. That's one of the things that made him the best IMHO.)

I'd guess it had something to do with playing for John Wooden.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
but there is a difference going 3 and out and using about 40-50 seconds of real time and huddling up, thus using about 3 minutes real time. That may not sound like alot but it adds up pretty quickly. Plus, when fatigued, injuries come more into play. Either offense, there is no guarantee of getting 1st downs.

You can still run the clock using the no huddle. We used to run the no huddle with Warner and then he'd just stand behind the Center and not call for the snap until about 2 seconds were left on the play clock.

Several of us used to wonder what the heck was going on until we learned that the no huddle wasn't done to tire or catch the defense off guard but to limit their ability to inject different personnel packages.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson