Evan Mathis offered 2 year deal by az

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So if the league roughly has 2 guards per team in the ranking, he is average at pass blocking and a stud at run blocking... where was Ted Larson ranked is the question :)

Exactly.

It's also by some metric that isn't being described to us either to see how valid it is.

In fact it's entirely possible that their run blocking grade is more accurate then their pass blocking grade... or vice versa.

64 starting spots, and many backups graded.

He also had Peyton Manning back there much of the time, and that dude is a statue.

Even if he was 100 percent accurately pegged by PFF, a key point would be how many more times could Palmer, given a similar situation to Peyton, have a better outcome because Palmer is more mobile and stronger?

Not just that, but with Palmer's arm strength he knew he could fling it out there, whereas Peyton might have had to take a seat to avoid throwing a wounded duck INT.

Then like others have said, we need to compare these guys to what we had last year.

Besides we're not going to find a top flight young stud this late in free agency for what we want to spend and fit under the cap. Guys like Mathis are solid pickups that improve us (unless he somehow completely falls apart).

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wonder if the rankings are for just RGs or for all OGs.If all OGs the pass pro ranking is a bit better like middle of the pack.
According to PFF those grades are for all guards (left and right). According to those grades he is 32nd in pass blocking, 1st in run blocking and 3rd overall last season.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
If he had an offer he should have taken it immediately. But, his agent Drew Rosenhaus indicates they'll be in no rush. So, Cards fans shouldn't get too overjoyed unless it's a done deal.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mathis has signed 1 yr, $6M deal with the Cards per multiple Twitter sources.

Very nice. Sure seems the front office is going for an all or bust for this upcoming season with all these 1 year deals being inked

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Glad we got him, was hoping for something a bit cheaper though.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BEAST. This is full on superbowl push mode.

Mathis is an upgrade. Period. "Wah, hes #32 in pass blocking!".

Yeah hes also #1 in run blocking. Let me say again #1 in RUN BLOCKING

Do you forget we gave Iupati that mega deal strictly because of run blocking? We just doubled up.

Our run game is going to be obscene this year. Cover your childrens eyes. Gonna be a blood bath

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
BEAST. This is full on superbowl push mode.

Mathis is an upgrade. Period. "Wah, hes #32 in pass blocking!".

Yeah hes also #1 in run blocking. Let me say again #1 in RUN BLOCKING

Do you forget we gave Iupati that mega deal strictly because of run blocking? We just doubled up.

Our run game is going to be obscene this year. Cover your childrens eyes. Gonna be a blood bath

Now we just need our pass happy coach to commit to running the ball.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Glad we got him, was hoping for something a bit cheaper though.

The deal is really $4M ($1M base, $2M signing bonus, $1M for still being on the roster after 16 games). He can earn up to $2M more in performance incentives. Thus the max figure is $6, plus he gets an added $69 if the Cardinals win the Super Bowl! Great signing and contract, Keim! Carson Palmer is raving about this move!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The deal is really $4M ($1M base, $2M signing bonus, $1M for still being on the roster after 16 games). He can earn up to $2M more in performance incentives. Thus the max figure is $6, plus he gets an added $69 if the Cardinals win the Super Bowl! Great signing and contract, Keim! Carson Palmer is raving about this move!

Nice. So it sounds like about 3-4 mill against this years cap. I guess it all depends on LTBE and how broadly they stretched the meaning of that phrase a season or so ago.

Still I wanted him here more then the others, so I'm really glad we got him.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
?? I never get this line of thinking. It's not your money that is being spent. What do you care what he costs?

Huh?

Because we still need a cover LB, a Center, a Right Tackle, a long snapper, RB, and potentially a K and Punter.

It's not 'what he got paid'... it's more of... what do we have left we can spend under the cap.

Thus yes, I wanted him for cheaper, because it allows us more maneuverability to get some of these other holes filled better.

I don't understand how you can miss that line of thinking?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh?

Because we still need a cover LB, a Center, a Right Tackle, a long snapper, RB, and potentially a K and Punter.

It's not 'what he got paid'... it's more of... what do we have left we can spend under the cap.

Thus yes, I wanted him for cheaper, because it allows us more maneuverability to get some of these other holes filled better.

I don't understand how you can miss that line of thinking?

You also don't know what the market was for him. There's not much point to this board if we don't second guess these deals, but "guess" is the key word. Sure, ideally he would've taken a two year deal for that much but YOU and I just don't really know if he is overpaid in the la-la land that is NFL free agency.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You also don't know what the market was for him. There's not much point to this board if we don't second guess these deals, but "guess" is the key word. Sure, ideally he would've taken a two year deal for that much but YOU and I just don't really know if he is overpaid in the la-la land that is NFL free agency.

I did 2nd guess it, sort of. I'm not saying he was overpaid.

I simply said I wish it was for a little less so we could use that to address other positions.

I'm glad we signed him.

I fully understand the NFL free agency is la la land. I'm well aware a guy that most of us think is worth 3-4 million is likely to get 8-15 million per year in free agency, and with the cap rising 10-15 million every year, lots of Bethel contracts are being signed.

People are already saying they don't want to spend 15 million per year on Jones. I think he might get around 20 per year. Right..wrong.. doesn't matter. If we don't pony up, someone else will.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard