Reaction score
Man, I'm tired of bein' right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Qualities you love to see describing a $300M film. lol

Why did they have to use real animals? Yes, I know CGI wouldn't have been as realistic, but it couldn't have been as expensive.

Nearly 200 mil for a comedy? :biglaugh:

A 30 mil opening for a comedy is usually a very one.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMDB says it was budgeted for $175 mil, but I think the studios control their own IMDB pages. We probably don't know the accurate figures. Shadyac was originally budgeted $20 mil for this picture. (?!) I know one of the huge costs of this movie was Shadyac's insistence on using live animals, including exotic birds that has PETA on the rampage.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was $175 million...Still a lot, but not quite $300 million.

when all is said and done, with marketing costs and budget over-runs, everyone out here is saying this sucker was a 250 million dollar deal. And it's gonna be a BOMB. Whatever legs it has are gonna be completely undercut by Pixar's Ratatoullie this Friday and then it's finished, falling by the wayside as Transformers blasts into theaters, followed up by Potter, not to mention it won't make bank internationally considering that it's a HEAVILY PRO-CHRISTIAN message movie which historically doesn't play nearly as well overseas as they do here, if they do well at all (Passion being the exception to the rule).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to mention it won't make bank internationally considering that it's a HEAVILY PRO-CHRISTIAN message movie which historically doesn't play nearly as well overseas as they do here

I'm sure Israel will appreciate seeing their holy text updated to accommodate American tastes. :rolleyes:

Shadyac is a very out-spoken Catholic, and I'm sure he'll be a fine promoter wherever Catholicism is strong in Europe.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boring movie, not horrible but started slow and not enough funny stuff.

We took my girlfriend's parents, and 3 nieces and one nephew. The 6 and 10 year old niece liked it, 12 year old was on the fence, 16 year old was bored wanted me to take him to Fantastic Four instead.

Parents liked it, myself and my girlfriend did not like it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when all is said and done, with marketing costs and budget over-runs, everyone out here is saying this sucker was a 250 million dollar deal. And it's gonna be a BOMB. Whatever legs it has are gonna be completely undercut by Pixar's Ratatoullie this Friday and then it's finished, falling by the wayside as Transformers blasts into theaters, followed up by Potter, not to mention it won't make bank internationally considering that it's a HEAVILY PRO-CHRISTIAN message movie which historically doesn't play nearly as well overseas as they do here, if they do well at all (Passion being the exception to the rule).

It's not really pro Christian as much as pro environment. There's obviously religious elements in it, he's the New Noah, but it's much more about environmentalism than religion.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it a couple weeks ago and was blah. It wasn't as bad as people say it was.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you own these? Do you have my address still? I will pay ASFN dollars for any spare movies you have lying about. :)

I have it on HDDVD. I do have some extra movies. Maybe we will send them to you if they don't sell.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it a couple weeks ago and was blah. It wasn't as bad as people say it was.
I agree; it was okay. Nowhere near as good as Bruce Almighty, but it wasn't horrible.

I was glad they didn't go with the "giving him God powers" again.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Only send ones you would otherwise have thrown away. :)

I have a ton that we are thinking of throwing away, ones that are pretty badly scratched (not mine.. :). I'll talked to Linda about these.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a ton that we are thinking of throwing away, ones that are pretty badly scratched (not mine.. :). I'll talked to Linda about these.
We do have a bunch of duplicates that you're welcome, too, Mulli. By "scratched pretty bad" he means any scratching of any kind, because he is an elitist of the highest degree when it comes to movies. I do have some movies that are REALLY bad, but some play just fine & have what I would call minor scratches.

I'd only send you ones that play without any issues.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Wow. I thought it was painfully bad.

And no, I didn't make it in. They weren't casting anyone else with beards! I only saw it because my friend was in it, but I couldn't find him.

Yeah, really. :)

Perhaps it was just the mind frame I was in or something. I found it very enjoyable.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

This film would be lucky to gross $100 Million IMO.

:biglaugh:

Nice call, it looks like it barely broke 100.

I recently watched this and was really disappointed. I find Steve Carell hilarious, but he just couldn't make up for how bad this movie was. It had several funny lines, but every scene was completely predictable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort