ESPN Projects 26 Wins, 2nd Worst in West

Errntknght

Reaction score
It should but if Sarver were your boss would you feel under pressure to deliver? I would and I don't think its a bad thing for us, for the team, for Watson to feel a good bit of pressure right out of the gate. We might as well see how well he deals with it post haste.

I'm very interested to see how he deals with trying win and also trying to develop the young guys for the future. Can he get Len to move his game forward; can he get Knight to play team first bball; can he sort out the best lineup combinations? There are a raft of choices as we are about three deep at every position with few real locks - Booker at SG is probably the closest to that and yet there will be pressure to play him at SF.

I generally accord HCs in the NBA more importance than most people and I particularly think its true with a team like the Suns - lots of depth but few players that are ideal fits for the classic NBA positions. Every change in the lineup is going to mean a new set of compromises. On top of that he has to get everyone on the same page as far as playing team ball not to mention playing hard all the time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the over is a safe bet if only because I can't see this team losing 55 or more games. I don't think the playoffs are realistic without a trade of some sort to even the team out but you can't count on that. They should have better chemistry and everyone should be playing better than they did last year. Chandler and Tucker are the only 2 players who are past their primes and neither contributes much offensively anyways. Hopefully neither one of those 2 is relied on heavily for their on court contributions with the depth available.

If either Bledsoe or Knight misses significant time due to injury, just one of them alone, or one gets traded I believe the team will be better for it. That's if they get nothing but picks in return, no players that would move the needle right now. It would probably be addition by subtraction. It'll take Watson time to figure out how to best use the combination of Bledsoe, Booker, and Knight plus getting them all to buy into whatever roles they end up assigned. I think it will take all of November and December to get that straightened out though. Chances are they will start the season really rocky and find their footing in the 2nd half and rattle off wins when it's meaningless and people will complain about not getting a high lotto pick, even though we don't need a high lotto pick with the young talent the team has already.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't think that the Suns will be much good, but that over sure is tempting. You have to really suck not to win 27 games.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Given that we won close to 26 games last season despite the turmoil with Morris, the massive injuries the team suffered and being lead by a rookie the over bet seems like free money almost.

Even if we have that much injuries again it seems like the fan base has momentum, the team has momentum, there is plenty of growth to be expected from young players and Earl Watson seems to have righted the ship in every way needed.

I can't see us winning less than 32 games.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
^ Even though I dislike Watson and his kumbaya ways and the fact every word in todays society is being abbreviated like PHX, its still a decent video.
I think the suns improve to atleast 30 wins this season with a healthy Bled, Knight, and the additions of hustlers Barbosa and Duds.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I like the video. Nothing in there about "win first" or "make the playoffs." Lots of talk about promise, potential, hustle, etc.. They're selling the product without making any ridiculous claims or promises.

IMO, in sports, there's nothing worse than watching a team that is "supposed" to succeed fail. (dbacks)

Errntknght

Reaction score
my version of Firefox (up to date, AFK) does nothing when I click on the 'Loading Tweet' that many of you put in your messages now days. Do you have to have a Twitter account? Heck, you probably don't know what I'm talking about because your computers don't insert the link 'Loading Tweet...', it just inserts the data the link leads to - should lead to in my case.

If anyone knows a simple fix to this I'd be happy to hear it...

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I have Firefox on an android phone and on the Linux computer. Works for me.

Do you have any plugins installed that might stop this? How about Flash? I don't know. Try goggle.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the character of this team once the season actually starts. Watson has been preaching defense. I have heard that before. They usually start working hard on D, but as the season progresses they regress to their old practices.

I think the greatest needs will be defense on the perimeter, defense on the interior, and rebounding.

Bledsoe has offensive help now. He can be more of a distributor and defend. He has great defensive abilities and instincts. Bender is the best wing defender the Suns have right now (yes, I said that PJ). But he is not likely going to get minutes ahead of PJ and Warren.

Chandler is a decent interior defender and rim protector, but as his game declines Len's must improve. Len's production is spotty. He has the length and body to defend, but nothing comes instinctively to him. He seems to flip between over-thinking or not thinking. His rebounding can be good, but his mistakes in defensive positioning often leave him out of position for rebounds. Chriss is not a good rebounder either. Alan Williams is the best rebounder on the roster (not named Tyson) but he is hardly starting material.

So. For the future, Bender has to step up. I think he is the future at the 3 over Warren because of his D. Len has to step up or we have to trade him (and other assets) for a premier rim protector rebounder. I would love to see Len forget about scoring and just rebound and defend. An 8 pt, 13 rb, 3 blk stat line would be a thing of beauty.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
 . . . Alex Len still hasn’t shown much progress. He’s 7'1" and shoots 42%. Come on. I don’t know what he does that’s helpful at all.

^Exactly! Time to package him and others before the FO makes a huge mistake...again.
That's because they were experimenting with him playing pf. He still needs to improve his shooting percentage though.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i know its early in the year but hope the suns win this gm to be 1-1. By the way missed the first gm I am sure not much but how did bender do in gm one?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i know its early in the year but hope the suns win this gm to be 1-1. By the way missed the first gm I am sure not much but how did bender do in gm one?

Better than Tucker.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In our first two games, our Starting Power Forward, Dudley, is averaging 5.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in 25.5 minutes. Our veteran backup Center, Len, is averaging 5.5 points and 3.5 rebounds in 19.0 minutes.

And, as I feared, our closing unit has three Guards on the wing and a Small Forward playing Power Forward. SOS! (and I don't mean save our ship -- or maybe I do. :) )

It looks like the Coach has gotten the message from above to stick to the status quo that has kept us out of the playoffs for half a decade. Has any team in history in any sport tanked for 6 straight years?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think the Clips had a good run in the 90's. Also Philly. Let's be patient and see if Chriss can increase his playing time and maybe coach or GM moves Knight. He's been sub par but our roster is thin.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think the Clips had a good run in the 90's. Also Philly. Let's be patient and see if Chriss can increase his playing time and maybe coach or GM moves Knight. He's been sub par but our roster is thin.

I haven't watched the Clips game yet but from the boxscore it looks like Watson put Ulis in whenever Bled was out so Knight didn't have to ever be the primary PG. If that's true and continues, it would a nice step forward. I'm not sure but I might be able to tolerate Brandon as a pure SG.