ESPN Projects 26 Wins, 2nd Worst in West

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do people conveniently forget what we were like when we were healthy? Before Bledsoe went down last year, we were at least a team that clearly could compete for the 8th spot. CLEARLY. Now, even with everyone healthy and no huge losses (Teletovic and Leuer are marginal), we're destined to be the 2nd worst? I wouldn't mind another top 5 pick, but there's no way we're the 2nd worst team in the west with everyone healthy.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Do people conveniently forget what we were like when we were healthy? Before Bledsoe went down last year, we were at least a team that clearly could compete for the 8th spot. CLEARLY. Now, even with everyone healthy and no huge losses (Teletovic and Leuer are marginal), we're destined to be the 2nd worst? I wouldn't mind another top 5 pick, but there's no way we're the 2nd worst team in the west with everyone healthy.

I don't know about ESPN but the Vegas guys look at health issues and factor that in. Teams that are perpetually injured stay injured.

What happened to that miracle training staff? We used to be the place everybody came to stay healthy. Now we have the perpetual injury bug.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have one of the Best guards in the business, With Bledsoe the sky's the limit. Warren, Knight and Booker are going to light it up. 120 points a night for this team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wish I could agree with this but we really weren't. We started off the season decently and went 7 - 5. But once opponents figured out that Tucker and Chandler were not a threat offensively and that Markieff wasn't trying to help the team, our opponents realized all they had to do was control Eric and Brandon. From that point on we went into a steep decline. Knight, Teletovic, Len, Leuer and Chandler were all struggling with minor injuries but Bledsoe was still playing up through that loss to Philadephia.

We went 5 - 15 over the last 20 games that Eric played. Had we been healthy, physically and mentally, we probably had enough talent to make the playoffs but we were way outside looking in when Eric went down (the day after Christmas).

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us make the playoffs this season. But in addition to good health it probably entails Len playing the 5 like a top 10 center and someone becoming a real force at one of the forward spots. I could easily see Warren or Booker becoming that force at the 3 and an outside chance that Warren, Bender or Chriss does it at the 4 but it's far from a sure thing.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me to see the Suns actively try and stay mediocre to get a pick in the #12-#14 range rather than tanking and getting a top pick in an actual good draft for once.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
factoring in injuries to guys who seemingly always get nicked up during the season, I see us winning between 30 and 35 games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me to see the Suns actively try and stay mediocre to get a pick in the #12-#14 range rather than tanking and getting a top pick in an actual good draft for once.
Not a chance. They will pursue the best W-L record they can achieve. Fans want tanking, teams that are the worst in the league jockey for the top pick, but teams in the mid-lottery don't usually.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good. I'd love another top 5 draft pick to assimilate with the youngsters. We're a young team. Bring in youthful talent and let it grow. Forget the playoffs. Seriously? Does anyone honestly think we could do damage in the playoffs? Sheesh....
The playoffs would actually be good. It would mean our youngsters are developing faster than expected. Doing damage in the playoffs at this stage is not the point. Playoff competition would be good experience for the development of our young players--all of them--including Knight, Bledsoe, TJ, and especially Booker. You don't stay at the bottom until you are ready to compete for a championship. You develop a core of players, then you develop those players. The 6-8 seed of the playoffs is a stage you must go through.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The playoffs would actually be good. It would mean our youngsters are developing faster than expected. Doing damage in the playoffs at this stage is not the point. Playoff competition would be good experience for the development of our young players--all of them--including Knight, Bledsoe, TJ, and especially Booker. You don't stay at the bottom until you are ready to compete for a championship. You develop a core of players, then you develop those players. The 6-8 seed of the playoffs is a stage you must go through.
We've rehashed this many times. The formula for turning around a franchise is far mare complex than just tanking year after year.

from phone

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we'll win anywhere from 35-45 games. We'll only drop to or below 26 wins if they decide to sell off Knight and/or Bledsoe for rookies or picks, which is unlikely. I think Bledsoe is the player that both Sarver & McD prefer if they had to choose between Knight or Eric, even though Knight is younger. Bledsoe has shown more leadership qualities and is more of a PG than Brandon is. If we keep both though we'll probably finish 9th or 10th in the west with a pick between #10-14 in the lottery. We don't really need more lottery picks though, definitely not bad enough to full on tank. This draft is supposed to be deep but I haven't heard of any superstar like players like Wiggins or Simmons who are projected as #1 picks before the college season starts. We have good young prospects at every position now, Ulis at PG, Booker & Goodwin at SG, Warren at SF, Chriss & Bender at PF, and Len at C. All of them except Goodwin has the potential to be solid starters. Booker, Warren, and Len have shown that they're at least capable rotation players if nothing else. Out of those 7 guys not one of them will turn 24 until next offseason. That is a young core for the future to grow together. Hopefully Sarver shows patience building this team. I think Watson is a good coach who will get the most out of everyone also. I wish we had a solid big man coach for Bender, Chriss, and Len but having Chandler as a mentor is better than nothing. I think he's helped Len already and he's a good locker room guy also. We need someone to help with Chriss & Bender's development as PF's though.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only way I would be ok with making playoffs is if Booker, Warren, Len or the rookies are the ones leading us to it.

If it's the likes of Bledsoe, Knight, Tucker, Chandler, Dudley etc that's doing the work then no thanks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 26 wins is low but not by much. I give them 10 more wins but miss the playoffs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way I would be ok with making playoffs is if Booker, Warren, Len or the rookies are the ones leading us to it.

If it's the likes of Bledsoe, Knight, Tucker, Chandler, Dudley etc that's doing the work then no thanks.
Bledsoe and Knight are part of our young core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And even if they weren't, it still would be a positive for this franchise. Winning raises the profile of the team and tends to increase the value of the players. If we can make the playoffs without selling off any of our future assets, that's a good thing no matter who is taking us there AFAIC. I'd still like to add one more quality piece. But if we already have enough talent to challenge for a playoff spot as is, we're far better off competing than tanking IMO.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am in the "make the playoffs" camp as well. They have plenty of young talent. They need to get into playoffs.

That said, I am not sure that they have enough talent to do so. That PF spot is just awful. Youngsters are very young and probably years away from contributing, and while I am a huge Dudley fan, he's no PF.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Bledsoe's gonna be 27 next season and has recurring injury problems. I don't consider him part of our future until he can show any signs of becoming a reliable player...at this point he's nothing more than a less expensive Derrick Rose.

And Knight shouldn't be the part of any team's "core" ever. Knight's biggest and perhaps only strength is that he has a lot of potential to be a great tank commander.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Bledsoe's gonna be 27 next season and has recurring injury problems. I don't consider him part of our future until he can show any signs of becoming a reliable player...at this point he's nothing more than a less expensive Derrick Rose.

And Knight shouldn't be the part of any team's "core" ever. Knight's biggest and perhaps only strength is that he has a lot of potential to be a great tank commander.

I disagree with this. I think Knight could fill a very valuable role as a 6th man. Sure he isn't going to be a key starter for us in the long term, but he doesn't have to be that to be part of the future core.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I think Knight could fill a very valuable role as a 6th man. Sure he isn't going to be a key starter for us in the long term, but he doesn't have to be that to be part of the future core.

Knight to me looks like a younger Jamal Crawford. People don't realize how important he was as the 6th man on the good Clipper teams.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I don't think we underestimate Crawford but I doubt Knight will be as consistent and effective as Crawford, if he even accepts that role.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight would tear it up if he came off the bench

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight would tear it up if he came off the bench

I agree. I think the role would be liberating for him, especially if teamed with Ulis.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
By all accounts, he doesn't seem interested in coming off the bench and still sees himself as a true PG despite him not possessing any skill that resembles it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the bright side. It should take expectations and pressure off this team.