ESPN NFL 2k5

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Espn NFL 2k5 is only $19.99 at ebgames. (www.ebgames.com).

How does this rate against the madden games?
Everybody has opinions, so I'll give you mine. Both 2K4 and Madden 2004 had major flaws. 2k5 looks like the better game this year though. It plays more realistically in the sense that you can't drop back 15-20 yards and bomb it all the time. I would say while Madden is fun too, though it's a bit arcadey. EA has admitted in many interviews that they sacrifice some realism for fun. It caters to the mainstream audience. I'm a football nerd though and love realism and defense. I hate the 40+ points per game. I can score at will in Madden, so it's really losing me (Madden is trying to focus on defense this year, let's see how that works out). 2k5 seems to fix all this by toning down the running game and giving the player more control. For only $20, I'd say everybody should give it a shot. If you don't like it, trade it in and it would be like a long rental. The only reason I used to buy Madden was because it had a better franchise mode, but even that may change this year. 2k5 will have online leagues as well. At $20, I hope we can start one here. I'll still buy both though :)

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
My problem is that I don't have a console, I play strictly on PC. I just realized that they are only selling XBOX and PS2. :(

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
My problem is that I don't have a console, I play strictly on PC. I just realized that they are only selling XBOX and PS2. :(
Oh well, then the only game available to you is Madden. I wouldn't say Madden is bad, but it just seems like they don't even try anymore. They add some features here and there, but they don't make major overhauls like ESPN does. If you liked Madden 2004 though, then you should like 2005. I actually didn't like either football game in 2004. I expect flaws in games but most of them should have been caught by the play-testers... and these flaws were just too big to overcome. Anyway, a lot of people here seem to only have a PC, so that's good for you.

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

Reaction score
Yeah last year I wanted to get an online game going, maybe a league with all the pc's here but it didn't happen.

I really want EA to release their college game for PC but they probably won't do that either. :shrug:

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Madden's far superior, but 20 bucks? Even Madden himself cant beat that!

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
The release date seems to be July 20 now :D The news keeps getting better and better :thumbup:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
WOW! I still don't know if I want ESPN or Madden EEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At $20, Sega/Microsoft/ESPN will make a nice play for some Madden marketshare. Last I heard both games were coming out on the same day, I think EA pushed their date waaaay up to compete.

For Madden fans, behold the Holy Grail;
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244153.asp

Spend the extra $10 and pick this one up and then another $20 for ESPN.

A-Bomb

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
abomb said:
At $20, Sega/Microsoft/ESPN will make a nice play for some Madden marketshare. Last I heard both games were coming out on the same day, I think EA pushed their date waaaay up to compete.

For Madden fans, behold the Holy Grail;
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244153.asp

Spend the extra $10 and pick this one up and then another $20 for ESPN.

A-Bomb

I'm so spending the extra 10 bucks to get the special edition of Madden.

I think Espn will do real well at only 20 bucks, I would have got last years if it was 20.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
wow, sega is throwing a wrench into Maddens sales for sure... you guys think they'll do this next year too?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love 2K5, Just bought it and I think its awesome!

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was going to buy this game today and found out no Game cube.

Lame. :hulk:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The player movement is great. I also like how they really made the players moves so realist to how they really move.

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
ESPN game is buggy as hell. I can't play it on my xbox. wonderful. good thing i traded a couple of old games i haven't played in a year for it. the early release date shows in this rush job. loved the gameplay, while i was able to play it...

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I'm a Die Hard Madden player. I hated 2k3 and 2k4.

I thought I'd give 2k5 a try. I am now honetly thinking of not buying Madden.

2k5 has GREAT gameplay, and a nice franchise system. It all just takes time getting used to. :thumbup:

5 thumbs up from me

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Phill11 said:

2k5 has GREAT gameplay, and a nice franchise system. It all just takes time getting used to. :thumbup:

5 thumbs up from me

I love Madden, and I'm still gonna get it. This is a nice game, but Madden hasn't done anything to warrant me not buying it.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I like 2k5 but i have to get madden. Madden is the standard for football games and until im convinced something beats it i will buy it.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
Yeah and since NFL 2k5's franchise mode is officially broken, Madden remains the champ in my mind.

It's broken? Where did you hear this?

I LOVE this game...played it last night, it's so dang realistic...the Berman highlight shows are awesome!

Mike

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

Reaction score
Phill11 said:

5 thumbs up from me

Maybe if you move some of those payphones you have for sale you can afford both games. :D