ESPN Gregg Williams to Join Rams

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... and you will be proven wrong.

(and I'll be the first to acknowlege if you are right.)

P.S. There no way players and coaches can throw in enough money into a pot to cover the league fines for illegal hits.

I'd be surprised by a lifetime ban also but if he really did continue it after the league instructed him not to, I wouldn't completely rule it out. It's the one thing that separates his actions from all the others that have instituted or countenanced bounties. Still, I'd be surprised by anything more than a one season ban.

Steve

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd be surprised by a lifetime ban also but if he really did continue it after the league instructed him not to, I wouldn't completely rule it out. It's the one thing that separates his actions from all the others that have instituted or countenanced bounties. Still, I'd be surprised by anything more than a one season ban.

Steve

I certainly believe he should be fined and suspended, but highly doubt that it'll be for a season.

P.S. Bounties amongst players with something added by a coach are pretty common in sport. In my hockey days, we had a pot for what we called a "Gordie Howe". Whoever had a goal, an assist and a fight in a game picked up the cash.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should be banned for a year.

Imagine this scenario...

Bounty on a player. A grand for a player being carried off the field. Player carried off the field because he was knocked unconcious suffers a severe brain injury goes into a coma and dies.

Manslaughter? Involuntary manslaughter? Can you imagine the legal aspects of this situation?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He should be banned for a year.

Imagine this scenario...

Bounty on a player. A grand for a player being carried off the field. Player carried off the field because he was knocked unconcious suffers a severe brain injury goes into a coma and dies.

Manslaughter? Involuntary manslaughter? Can you imagine the legal aspects of this situation?

The possibility of complications following a hit, as you described, is inherent to the violence of the sport irrespective of any "bounty".

In the end, I believe it would play itself out in Civil Court as a suit for damages.

In hockey, for example, we had the Burtuzzi / Moore incident, which ended Moore's career. There is little doubt that Burtuzzi was out to avenge a hit on one of his teammates in a previous game. This was clearly stated prior to the game. The case was not prosecuted under your Criminal Code and Moore continues to seek remedy before the Civil Courts.