ESPN Gregg Williams to Join Rams

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just saw a report on ESPN that Saints DC Gregg Wiiliams expected to join Jeff Fisher in St Louis. Not a surprise. Rams getting better already.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite the crap they gave up on sunday, I think Williams is a good coordinator.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a surprise. Rams getting better already.

Meh! Saints were 23rd total D in 2008 25th in total D the year they won the SB and 26th this year. They were 4th in 2010 but that's three out of four years in the bottom 3rd in the league and 2 of those bottom 1/5. Doesn't seem like anything to cringe about as a D Coordinator is concerned.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just a bunch of names filling the coaching staff. Rams have holes virtually everywhere. It'll take a couple of seasons and good drafts for them to become relevant again.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a bunch of names filling the coaching staff. Rams have holes virtually everywhere. It'll take a couple of seasons and good drafts for them to become relevant again.

Based on above I would say not even BIG names.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Those guys may have some name recognition but that deosn't make it a good staff. I don't know if they've coached together before but the main thing about a good staff is that they are cohesive and work well together. Would any of us know who Brian Schotenheimer is, or was even a coach, if he hadn't been in NY? His offenses have done nothing to merit any concern to me.

One thing I like about Whiz is he picks a staff he knows that can work well together. We may not like Grimm but I'm sure Whiz knows what he's getting and Grimm will coach the same philosophy. The big problem with firing coaches all the time, like the Raiders, is not only the new HC but the new staff members all have their way of doing things. Whiz is getting to, or is at the point where his style philosophy should be entrenched within the team and the staff/ players now know exactly what to expect. In other words, the system works :D.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agreed, good names, but it will take a while to get it turned around. Also, no matter who coaches, the players are the ones that have to make the plays.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Meh. Gregg Williams' defense thrives completely on turnovers, and the Rams defense are below average at forcing turnovers (23rd in picks, 28th in fumble recoveries). Could be a bad fit if that doesn't improve.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. Gregg Williams' defense thrives completely on turnovers, and the Rams defense are below average at forcing turnovers (23rd in picks, 28th in fumble recoveries). Could be a bad fit if that doesn't improve.

3 out of 4 years his defenses have blown. so who really cares?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see a lot of redundancy - both the move from Spags to Fisher and also Fisher hiring a defensive guru.

Spags was a perfectly good defensive-minded HC who fell victim to an incredibly deep rash of injuries at 2 or 3 key positions (Blame the medics, blame the trainers, blame the front office, blame the Football Gods; but I thought Spagnuola was a perfectly fine HC and am relieved he's out of our division).

So now the Rams have Fisher (a smart guy and a defensive-strategy icon with Buddy as part of his resume). And he brings in Williams? Who'll set defensive strategy? Who'll call the defensive plays?

But like I said , Fisher's considered a smart guy - maybe smart enough to avoid micromanaging because he'd know the value of delegating to a strong group of knowledgeable assistants.

Nevertheless, when a defensive or offensive-minded HC is brought in, his first major hire is usually a guy involved on the other side of the ball. So I'm surprised.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you gotta be kidding yourself with knocking Williams....

Fisher is going to assemble on heck of a staff to compete.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice job, Lambs. It looks like you hired the NFL's biggest pariah to run your defense. Good luck finding a replacement for him while he's suspended for the beginning of the season.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice job, Lambs. It looks like you hired the NFL's biggest pariah to run your defense. Good luck finding a replacement for him while he's suspended for the beginning of the season.

He (Greg Williams) also did it with the Redskins. He should be banned permanently.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Meh. Gregg Williams defense thrives on paying players to take cheap shots at opposing teams' QBs and star players.

The Rams will be in the market for a new DC, I think Gregg Williams is going to be tossed out of the NFL for good.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Meh. Gregg Williams defense thrives on paying players to take cheap shots at opposing teams' QBs and star players.

The Rams will be in the market for a new DC, I think Gregg Williams is going to be tossed out of the NFL for good.

.... and you will be proven wrong.

(and I'll be the first to acknowlege if you are right.)

P.S. Do you actually think that players and coaches would throw enough money into a pot to cover the league fines for illegal hits?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0304-bowen-nfl--20120304,0,4015992.column

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard