End Zone Interception?

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Who the hell was he throwing to? Was it just a wobbler that the LB step-in front of. Couldn't see a receiver in the frame. The ball just took this funny trajectory right to the defender. One of the worst passes I've ever seen.

BTW, with perfect 20-20 hindsight. Why not run the ball on 3rd and again on 4th. No way they stop Edge 4-times inside the 2 yard line. If they do then he's got no complaints about not getting the ball enough and we leave Rams at the 1 yard-line.

Another example of some pretty poor play-calling and decision making by coaching staff. We want to establish a running game and identity with a $30 million Pro Bowl running back and just turn the ball over on a stupid play!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IIRC we was throwing to either a TE or Femi. I can't remember who through the blur of frustration. It was a goal line set. No receivers in the game. I will have to watch the replay but it was set to look line a run and the TE (i believe) released to the back line but kurt fluffed it out there right in the gut of the middle linebacker.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was supposed to go to Pope in the back middle of the end zone. Had he lofted it up high, the play actually had a chance. To me, it looked like one of those throws where, at the last instant, the QB is trying to pull the ball back in but it's too late into the motion. That's what I think Warner meant by "It just got away from me".

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
It was supposed to go to Pope in the back middle of the end zone. Had he lofted it up high, the play actually had a chance. To me, it looked like one of those throws where, at the last instant, the QB is trying to pull the ball back in but it's too late into the motion. That's what I think Warner meant by "It just got away from me".
I was sitting in that corner of the end zone when that play happened. Pope was wide open in the back of the middle portion of the end zone. Warners ball wasn't even close to Pope. He threw it right to the LB's numbers. He would have had to throw the ball a good 5-8ft higher then he did, a huge difference. With Pope being 6'8, I have to question whether Pope ran the wrong route or another player did. That throw, if intended for Pope, was awful

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, it was gawdawful.

I think he was trying to NOT throw the ball.

I agree. It just nose dived on him. Watching the replay Pope was open but Kurt didn't start his arm motion until The LB had recovered... so he kinda tried to retract his arm but the ball just tanked on him. Seemed to me to be a lack of trust. He didn't trust that Pope would be there and threw the ball late.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple callers into the radio this AM said replaying it that Leonard Little hit Warners arm a little bit. Don't know if that is true or not but it could explain the absolute ugliness of that throw.

And I think it was Pope in the back of the end zone.

GreenCard

Reaction score
Jude Lacava showed it in slow-mo and Little hit Warner's arm at the elbow in a down motion as he released the ball.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Some Consolation

Jude Lacava showed it in slow-mo and Little hit Warner's arm at the elbow in a down motion as he released the ball.

Thanks!

Any one recall if this was off play-action? If so, it wasn't such a bad call, afterall and had a chance. Pope was ignored the whole game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Any one recall if this was off play-action? If so, it wasn't such a bad call, afterall and had a chance. Pope was ignored the whole game.

I dont remember if this play was on playaction or not. If it was though, playaction to the middle of the field on the goalline is not a good play. You have to either bootleg or throw away from the group of defenders in the middle of the field.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Thanks!

Well that seems like a great idea doesn't it? 6'8" with a huge vertical leap and we have not tried to loft one to him since preseason WHEN IT WORKED!

Hmmm... sounds the play-calling and the game strategy is just fine!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont remember if this play was on playaction or not. If it was though, playaction to the middle of the field on the goalline is not a good play. You have to either bootleg or throw away from the group of defenders in the middle of the field.

It was a good call. Pope was wide open (for a split second) in the back of the endzone. Kurt brain farted for a minute and threw a duck.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a good call. Pope was wide open (for a split second) in the back of the endzone. Kurt brain farted for a minute and threw a duck.

I dont think that a play-action pass to the middle/back of the endzone is a good call. You always have a linebacker in the middle of the endzone basically spying. If Pope could have ran to one side or the other, it makes it a good play. I would have to see the replay again, but generally speaking, I do not like the call.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think that a play-action pass to the middle/back of the endzone is a good call. You always have a linebacker in the middle of the endzone basically spying. If Pope could have ran to one side or the other, it makes it a good play. I would have to see the replay again, but generally speaking, I do not like the call.

The guy is 6'8" and Dexter Coakley is 5'10" when he wears high heel shoes. It is a good call when you have a guy like Pope to throw it to. That's what supposedly was going to be his forte for this offense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy is 6'8" and Dexter Coakley is 5'10" when he wears high heel shoes. It is a good call when you have a guy like Pope to throw it to. That's what supposedly was going to be his forte for this offense.

Was Coakley the one responsible for Pope? Again, I still have to see the replay again.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was Coakley the one responsible for Pope? Again, I still have to see the replay again.

He was the one in the middle of the end zone spying, as you put it. If Kurt throws over his head Pope has a great shot to go up and get the ball.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember Plummer throwing an INT to Dexter Coakley in the endzone back when he was a Cowboy. Plummer was about 10 yards more out than Warner was, but that play yesterday brought back another in a long line of painful Cardinal memories.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Plummer throwing an INT to Dexter Coakley in the endzone back when he was a Cowboy. Plummer was about 10 yards more out than Warner was, but that play yesterday brought back another in a long line of painful Cardinal memories.

I brought that play up yesterday. Except Plummer was throwing from our endzone and Coakley was even more wide open than he was yesterday. Coakley scored a TD on that one, a game we lost 17-3.

I fully expect, at some point, Leinart will also drill a killer INT right into Coakley's numbers.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
NFL.com/video

For those without a tape, dvd, dvr, tivo, etc., etc., the whole sorry play is captured in the highlight summary .... now I know who was responsible ...
RT Oliver Ross!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard