Durant to Suns

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Surprised no shared this, figured it works here. Book is already recruiting for when CP3 and KD are done...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It’s extremely rare and underestimated how having a star player who’s not an attention ***** is especially if you play in a destination market.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I just love Book. He actually said what we are all thinking about 2026.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It could be worse.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought for sure it would be a Bickley article I almost said as much without clicking. I still didn't read it though. Guess AZCentral has a new doomsayer employed.
You don't need to read it, it sounded an awful lot like what I've said about the trade - I've just tried to keep the negativity out of my comments. I disagree that it's already the worst in Arizona sports history but I do believe it was an overpay that could turn out to be the worst trade in Arizona sports history.

I'm going to miss Bridges and Johnson but for me, not protecting those picks is the real killer. We don't need them protected if KD beats the odds and actually helps us win a title but if he doesn't those picks are gold. We should have top 3 protected them or at least got creative where the Nets could take our top 3 protected pick but only via pick swap. Driving without insurance makes no sense, driving with your eyes closed without insurance is suicidal.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone know if KD is in town and when Warren will play?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You don't need to read it, it sounded an awful lot like what I've said about the trade - I've just tried to keep the negativity out of my comments. I disagree that it's already the worst in Arizona sports history but I do believe it was an overpay that could turn out to be the worst trade in Arizona sports history.

I'm going to miss Bridges and Johnson but for me, not protecting those picks is the real killer. We don't need them protected if KD beats the odds and actually helps us win a title but if he doesn't those picks are gold. We should have top 3 protected them or at least got creative where the Nets could take our top 3 protected pick but only via pick swap. Driving without insurance makes no sense, driving with your eyes closed without insurance is suicidal.
“Gold?” Cmon. The first two are going to be in the 20’s. The last two will likely never be better than late teens, if that high. Many of you worrying about “mortgaging the future” seem to forget that Booker and Ayton will be in their prime. We will have a ton of cap room as KD and Paul roll off the cap and it continues to rise. And Booker has proven to be a good recruiter (nabbed two hall of famers). And we will still have 3 first round picks before that 2029 pick is due.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The more time that has passed since this trade the more I am liking it. Getting a player of this caliber (ATG still playing at or near their peak) is almost unheard of. Bill Simmons has Durant in his 16 greatest players of all time and said that of the other 15, 6 got traded in season (while still near their peak level) and their new team won the title 5 out of 6 times.

We just got KD at near the peak of his powers and could potentially get 3.5 good years out of him. Normally a trade like this would be swapping stars and us trading someone like Booker out. To get it done for a couple good role players and some picks is pretty crazy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more time that has passed since this trade the more I am liking it. Getting a player of this caliber (ATG still playing at or near their peak) is almost unheard of. Bill Simmons has Durant in his 16 greatest players of all time and said that of the other 15, 6 got traded in season (playing near their peak level) and their new team won the title 5 out of 6 times.

We just got KD at near the peak of his powers and could potentially get 3.5 good years out of him. Normally a trade like this would be swapping stars and us trading someone like Booker out. To get it done for a couple good role players and some picks is pretty crazy.
You just can’t win a title without a unicorn. And title windows are so rare that it’s worth the risk to go get one with the league so wide open.

And KD is one of freakiest unicorns of all time. Had to do it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more time that has passed since this trade the more I am liking it. Getting a player of this caliber (ATG still playing at or near their peak) is almost unheard of. Bill Simmons has Durant in his 16 greatest players of all time and said that of the other 15, 6 got traded in season (while still near their peak level) and their new team won the title 5 out of 6 times.

I don't read Simmons anymore, has been years since I have. It was around when he left ESPN that he seemed to get too full of himself for my liking. Anyways, I image the 1 time that didn't result in a championship was Shaq to Phoenix, right? That worries me some. I've come around a lot on this deal but I still have my reservations. Book eased those by basically saying he'd try to bring the Twins back. Cam J is restricted. Maybe he tells Brooklyn not to match and signs here this summer? We could do a sign and trade for Shamet and 5 second round picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Gold?” Cmon. The first two are going to be in the 20’s. The last two will likely never be better than late teens, if that high. Many of you worrying about “mortgaging the future” seem to forget that Booker and Ayton will be in their prime. We will have a ton of cap room as KD and Paul roll off the cap and it continues to rise. And Booker has proven to be a good recruiter (nabbed two hall of famers). And we will still have 3 first round picks before that 2029 pick is due.
Sure, that's possible, I just don't believe it's a given. I'm an optimist that's why I'm so surprised to see almost everyone else here just assuming the best will happen. I don't expect my car to break down but I have AAA for a reason.

And not to play word games but it's not "worry about mortgaging the future" as much as it is about being disappointed that we failed to protect our future. Worrying about mortgaging the future would be focused on giving up young players and a bunch of picks, I'm talking solely about protecting those picks if worst comes to worst. And if there was no chance those picks would become lottery picks then it should have been easy to get Brooklyn to agree with it.

Durant had an injury that tends to shorten the career and increase the games missed along the way and he's already 34. Booker now has an established pattern of groin and hamstring problems, what if this is just the beginning of a KJ-like career path? CP3 looks to have little left, what if it's not just "looks to have little left" but the actual last gasps of a HOFer career? Are we really so lottery resistant if Ayton has to be our main star every night?

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Durant but man this feels like one we will regret if we don’t win a championship this year or next. I just feel like Mikal was well on his way to the next level(all star level imo).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the trade is growing on me. I would have loved to have top 1 protection on the picks though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't read Simmons anymore, has been years since I have. It was around when he left ESPN that he seemed to get too full of himself for my liking. Anyways, I image the 1 time that didn't result in a championship was Shaq to Phoenix, right? That worries me some. I've come around a lot on this deal but I still have my reservations. Book eased those by basically saying he'd try to bring the Twins back. Cam J is restricted. Maybe he tells Brooklyn not to match and signs here this summer? We could do a sign and trade for Shamet and 5 second round picks.
Shaq wasn’t one of them. By the time he was traded to us, he wasn’t at peak level of play that Simmons stipulated.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq wasn’t one of them. By the time he was traded to us, he wasn’t at peak level of play that Simmons stipulated.
Yeah, Durant when he's played has played like a superstar. Shaq was well on his way down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest hope for this trade is it’s the rich man’s version of the Drexler to Houston trade.

except Durant is just so much better than Drexler ever was and was at the time… if healthy.

Also, Durant can so easily fit into our system that relies on the mid-range and pick and roll.

But it all comes down to health. If they have 20 games together to tell and are healthy going into the playoffs, I think we are gonna be scary good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Durant when he's played has played like a superstar. Shaq was well on his way down.
As I just mentioned… it’s a little closer to Drexler to Houston mid season. Took a while for that team to gel… and they often dig themselves holes in playoff series, but they’re the best example of a trade this mammoth working out in season where major pieces are swapped.

Same with Mark Aguirre for Adrian Dantley for the Pistons.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Mat Ishbia heavily influenced James Jones to make the Kevin Durant trade. Without it, I don't think it happens.

IMO, the new owner wanted to put his mark on the team.

A lingering question for me, is would James Jones have made a significant move to improve the team otherwise?

This was clearly the Suns front office betting they have the winning hand, win or lose.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Nets fans are loving solid D excellent shooting and ball movement. That kind of basketball is fun to watch for people who know basketball.

This trade is going to make Mikal a star. He is the lead player on that team and is going to be scoring in the mid 20's every night.

They will be comparing him to Kahwi soon. You watch. East coast exposure.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Mat Ishbia heavily influenced James Jones to make the Kevin Durant trade. Without it, I don't think it happens.

IMO, the new owner wanted to put his mark on the team.

A lingering question for me, is would James Jones have made a significant move to improve the team otherwise?

This was clearly the Suns front office betting they have the winning hand, win or lose.

From what I've read, I think had Mat not intervened JJ would have made the Collins deal instead.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Nets fans are living solid D excellent shooting and ball movement. That kind of basketball is fun to watch for people who know basketball.

I love it and they will get better as they play together more but they have had a hard time getting any offense going down the stretch. It's why you have to pay such a premium for guys who can just get a bucket.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson