Dunkirk

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Really looking forward to this one. Always love Christopher Nolan's films.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm definitely looking forward to this one too. I'm worried they put the most poignant scene in the trailer--the scene where the guy gets all fatalistic, strips off his gear, and just walks into the sea. It reminds me of old cultures where an aged warrior that is becoming a drain on resources goes out for one final 'hunt'. Everyone knows he's just going out to die so as not to be a burden, but nothing is spoken.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Friends from Warner Bros have already seen it. Said it's really, really intense like Private Ryan, but not gory like Private Ryan. One even said he thought he got PTSD just from watching it... :)

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Friends from Warner Bros have already seen it. Said it's really, really intense like Private Ryan, but not gory like Private Ryan. One even said he thought he got PTSD just from watching it... :)
So needless to say...they liked it? Lol

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately the SJW's at USA Today decided to politicize their review by commenting that although it's an excellent film, there weren't enough women and people of color in the cast: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. Still, Nolan’s feat is undeniable: He’s made an immersive war movie that celebrates the good of mankind while also making it clear that no victory is without sacrifice.
No you fleeb, it will only rub jackasses like yourself the wrong way. Normal thinking people will watch it and accept it as the period piece that it is.

So basically the writer wanted Nolan to rewrite history in order to satisfy political correctness. I mean, really? The battle consisted of British, Dutch, Belgian, and German military. My guess there weren't a whole lot of people of color living in the area at that time let alone any serving in the military. Everything doesn't have to be all inclusive and there's nothing wrong with presenting history as it happened and not how you wished it was but that doesn't keep these dipsticks from politicizing everything. Just review the frigging movie as it is and be done with it.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a shame Arizona's only 70mm IMAX theater is at the Grand Canyon :madarms:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the SJW's at USA Today decided to politicize their review by commenting that although it's an excellent film, there weren't enough women and people of color in the cast: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...xplores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

No you fleeb, it will only rub jackasses like yourself the wrong way. Normal thinking people will watch it and accept it as the period piece that it is.

So basically the writer wanted Nolan to rewrite history in order to satisfy political correctness. I mean, really? The battle consisted of British, Dutch, Belgian, and German military. My guess there weren't a whole lot of people of color living in the area at that time let alone any serving in the military. Everything doesn't have to be all inclusive and there's nothing wrong with presenting history as it happened and not how you wished it was but that doesn't keep these dipsticks from politicizing everything. Just review the frigging movie as it is and be done with it.

jeez dude... all he said was it MAY rub SOME the wrong way. And it was simply ONE line in the review. Feel like you're overreacting a little bit on this with this rant.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jeez dude... all he said was it MAY rub SOME the wrong way. And it was simply ONE line in the review. Feel like you're overreacting a little bit on this with this rant.
No, I'm not because this PC garbage is getting out of hand. I mean, why bother saying it at all if it wasn't to make some kind of political point? As I said, normal thinking people will watch the movie and enjoy it for the historical period piece that it is just like I can watch a movie like Barber Shop and not care that the cast is 99% black because *gasp* there might actually be predominantly black neighborhoods. Basically there was no need for the writer, in a prominent newspaper to have to make a sideways political statement like that, specially for a movie like this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not because this PC garbage is getting out of hand. I mean, why bother saying it at all if it wasn't to make some kind of political point?

maybe to let certain people who don't want to watch a movie about all white men know that it might not be their thing?

As I said, normal thinking people will watch the movie and enjoy it for the historical period piece that it is just like I can watch a movie like Barber Shop and not care that the cast is 99% black because *gasp* there might actually be predominantly black neighborhoods. Basically there was no need for the writer, in a prominent newspaper to have to make a sideways political statement like that, specially for a movie like this.

I don't see a lot of normal people going on massive rants like your last two posts over one line. You like to criticize others as precious snowflakes and the like, but one line about it being a pretty homogenous cast and you go nuts? You're visceral reaction just seems... odd.

I mean, he practically gives the movie a blow-job in his review and just notes something about it that some audience members might not be aware of, mostly because people have no clue about history.

hell, I've seen some reviews wonder how much money this movie can make in america because it's primarily about europeans. Is that completely ridiculous too?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

maybe to let certain people who don't want to watch a movie about all white men know that it might not be their thing?

NJ went a little hard in the paint there, but I understand his point. Nobody needs to be told its going to star mostly-white people. Its a WW movie in Europe. It goes without saying.

Not alot of Asians or Hispanics or Indians or Sikhs either. Whys this race conscious reviewer make no mention of them?

We know why. And thats the point.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not because this PC garbage is getting out of hand. I mean, why bother saying it at all if it wasn't to make some kind of political point? As I said, normal thinking people will watch the movie and enjoy it for the historical period piece that it is just like I can watch a movie like Barber Shop and not care that the cast is 99% black because *gasp* there might actually be predominantly black neighborhoods. Basically there was no need for the writer, in a prominent newspaper to have to make a sideways political statement like that, specially for a movie like this.

I am furious that roots didnt have any irish slaves in it

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm a big time WWII history nerd so I'm super excited for this one. Haven't watched any of the previews.

I dont care at all that there are no minority lady leads, does that make me a bad guy? :p

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didnt catch that this is a nolan film, thats good news. Going to avoid the trailers, try to do that for anything I actually want to see.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
didnt catch that this is a nolan film, thats good news. Going to avoid the trailers, try to do that for anything I actually want to see.

Same here, I started doing that a couple years ago and it makes the movies a lot more interesting to me. It just sucks to have all the major events of a film imprinted on your mind before you even see it, especially since most trailers show every freaking plot point nowadays, leaving only the conclusion to the imagination and most times not even that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, I started doing that a couple years ago and it makes the movies a lot more interesting to me. It just sucks to have all the major events of a film imprinted on your mind before you even see it, especially since most trailers show every freaking plot point nowadays, leaving only the conclusion to the imagination and most times not even that.

yeah... I won't even sniff a review of this one. Seeing on the IMAX 70 MM Print on Saturday at the Chinese Theater. can... Not... WAIT!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunkirk

Release date: July 21, 2017
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Christopher Nolan
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense war experience and some language)
Screenwriter: Christopher Nolan
Genre: Drama, Thriller, Action

Starring: Fionn Whitehead, Tom Glynn-Carney, Jack Lowden, Harry Styles, Aneurin Barnard, James D'Arcy, Barry Keoghan, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy

Plot Summary: “Dunkirk” opens as hundreds of thousands of British and Allied troops are surrounded by enemy forces. Trapped on the beach with their backs to the sea they face an impossible situation as the enemy closes in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson