Duel in the Desert

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Mao, where do you think Tui is going? I dont follow the UA, do they think he is going to transfer or something?
He's finished. Even if he somehow gets medical clearance to play again, there's little chance Stoops hands the reigns of the program to a kid who is 50/50 at best to finish a game he started. I'm guessing one of the highly-regarded frosh gets a serious look over the summer and will take over once Tui gets injured if not sooner.

It's too bad, he has all the tools but now he's 19 and all he's got is a brief football career and a long life full of neurological issues to look forward to.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
And a stellar U of A education!
I only have a UofA education but I can't seem to find Arizona State University on this list yet I do see the University of Arizona. Maybe they just didn't teach me well enough to find ASU on the list?

1. Princeton University(NJ)
100 4.9 2 98% 94% 97% +3 2 74% 10% 5/1 91% 4 1380-1560 94% 5 11% 13 1 61%
2. Harvard University(MA)
99 4.9 1 97% 94% 98% +4 3 69% 13% 7/1 92% 1 1400-1580 96% 9% 8 6 44%
3. Yale University(CT)

4. California Institute of Technology

4. Stanford University(CA)

4. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology

7. University of Pennsylvania

8. Duke University(NC)

9. Dartmouth College(NH)

9. Columbia University(NY)

9. University of Chicago

12. Cornell University(NY)

12. Washington University in St. Louis

14. Northwestern University(IL)

15. Brown University(RI)

16. Johns Hopkins University(MD)

17. Rice University(TX)

18. Vanderbilt University(TN)

18. Emory University(GA)

20. University of Notre Dame(IN)

21. Carnegie Mellon University(PA)

21. University of California—Berkeley *

23. Georgetown University(DC)

24. University of Virginia *

24. University of Michigan—Ann Arbor *

26. Univ. of California—Los Angeles *

27. U. of North Carolina—Chapel Hill *

27. Univ. of Southern California

27. Tufts University(MA)

30. Wake Forest University(NC)

31. College of William and Mary(VA) *

31. Brandeis University(MA)

33. Lehigh University(PA)

34. Univ. of Wisconsin—Madison *

34. Boston College

34. New York University

34. University of Rochester(NY)

38. Case Western Reserve Univ.(OH)

38. Univ. of California—San Diego *

38. Georgia Institute of Technology *

41. U. of Illinois—Urbana - Champaign *

42. University of Washington *

42. Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.(NY)

44. University of California—Irvine *

44. Tulane University(LA) 11

44. Yeshiva University(NY)

47. Pennsylvania State U.—University Park *

47. University of Texas—Austin *

47. University of California—Davis *

47. Univ. of California—Santa Barbara *

47. University of Florida *

52. George Washington University(DC)

52. Syracuse University(NY)

54. Pepperdine University(CA)

54. University of Miami(FL)

54. Univ. of Maryland—College Park *

57. Ohio State University—Columbus *

57. University of Pittsburgh *

57. Boston University

60. Miami University—Oxford(OH) *

60. Texas A&M Univ.—College Station *

60. University of Georgia *

60. Rutgers—New Brunswick(NJ) *

64. Purdue Univ.—West Lafayette(IN) *

64. University of Iowa *

64. Worcester Polytechnic Inst.(MA)

67. University of Connecticut *

67. University of Delaware *

67. Univ. of Minnesota—Twin Cities *

70. Clemson University(SC) *

70. Southern Methodist University(TX)

70. Brigham Young Univ.—Provo(UT)

70. Indiana University—Bloomington *

70. Michigan State University *

70. Fordham University(NY)

76. Univ. of California—Santa Cruz *

77. Virginia Tech *

77. University of Colorado—Boulder *

77. St. Louis University

77. Stevens Institute of Technology(NJ)

81. North Carolina State U.—Raleigh *

81. Baylor University(TX)

81. Marquette University(WI)

81. Iowa State University *

81. Clark University(MA)

86. American University(DC)

86. SUNY—Binghamton *

88. University of Tulsa(OK)

88. University of Tennessee *

88. University of Vermont *

88. University of Alabama *

88. Auburn University(AL) *

88. Univ. of California—Riverside *

88. University of Denver

88. Howard University(DC)

88. University of Kansas *

88. Univ. of Missouri—Columbia *

98. University of Arizona *

98. University of the Pacific(CA)

98. Northeastern University(MA)

98. Univ. of Massachusetts—Amherst *

98. Univ. of Nebraska—Lincoln *

98. SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry *

98. SUNY—Stony Brook *

105. University of New Hampshire *

105. Texas Christian University

105. University of Dayton(OH)

105. University of San Diego

105. Illinois Institute of Technology

110. Ohio University *

110. Florida State University *

112. University of Missouri—Rolla *

112. University of Kentucky *

112. Loyola University Chicago

112. Washington State University *

112. University of San Francisco

112. Univ. of South Carolina—Columbia *

112. Drexel University(PA)

112. University of Oklahoma *

120. University of Utah *

120. University of Oregon *

120. Catholic University of America(DC)

120. University at Buffalo—SUNY *

124. Colorado State University *

124. Kansas State University *

124. New Jersey Inst. of Technology *

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
ASU is listed as a third tier school, they don't rank the schools that far down the list.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
98th. That's tremendous.

You see, no one touts ASU's educational prowess, but you Kitten fans seem to think UofA is a "top notch" education. It's not. It's marginally better than ASU, if that.

I hope that helps you sleep at night though. Maybe it will comfort you since your football team sucks ass....

I'll promise you that no one will look at a resume and think you were better educated because you went to Tucson instead of Tempe. Take that to the bank.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
98th. That's tremendous.

You see, no one touts ASU's educational prowess, but you Kitten fans seem to think UofA is a "top notch" education. It's not. It's marginally better than ASU, if that.

I hope that helps you sleep at night though. Maybe it will comfort you since your football team sucks ass....

I'll promise you that no one will look at a resume and think you were better educated because you went to Tucson instead of Tempe. Take that to the bank.
All my point was is that an ASU guy talking trash about someones education was a pretty weak argument. I don't think an UofA education is the greatest thing in the world. Believe me it isn't I experienced it but the argument that a UofA education is bad by an ASU guy just proves how bad the ASU education truly is.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Well you can't deny that we DID dominate you guys.....you guys looked like you didn't belong on that field. We underperformed this year at 7-5, you guys played WAY over your heads in a few games and finished 6-6.....neither are impressive, but one is FAR more impressive than the other.

ASU is so good they got their coach fired. :biglaugh:

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
98th. That's tremendous.

Hey do us all a favor and think before you type. Your posts are some of the most idiotic things I've ever read.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I gotta say, we got our asses handed to us last night. I was at the game and ASU came out ready to play. Gotta give them props, they took care of business. As for UA, despite the loss, it was a good season as progress was made towards getting this program back to respectability. A bowl game was a good goal this year (and although a longshot, still a possibility) but all in all, I truly believe we're headed in the right direction. With a good defense in place and a very young offense (especially the offensive line) still being tweaked, I think everything is starting to take shape. Although the QB position is a definite question mark now. I don't believe Willie is ever going to be the player he once was much less reach the potential he had. It's a very sad situation as this kid had a great career ahead of him. I think it's classless that some ASU fans would call him soft. Concussions are no joke and it doesn't take much of a hit to suffer another once you've had one already. All the great players who have retired because of concussions (Aikman, Young, etc.) will tell you. As for the shot on Willie last night... I don't believe it was cheap. Football is a bang bang sport and stuff happens. But some of you ASU fans need to really think about what you're saying because some of the stuff coming out of your mouths is uncalled for when it comes to Willie. He's a 19 year old kid with a questionable future now. Anyways, I think Willie will come back next year but I really, REALLY think they need to have him and Tyler Lyon split reps over the offseason. Adam Austin was horrible and his play really hampered any kind of comeback last night. If a healthy Willie is in the game, I believe the game has a different outcome. Maybe not necessarily a victory for us, but less of a dominating outing by ASU.

Both teams were mediocre this year. Arizona making progress from the crap we became in the Mackovic years and ASU taking a big step back from last season. I believe Rudy was the wrong choice at the QB position and that became evident as the season went on. The offense is good, the defense is still not. With our records being similar, I think that the idea that ASU didn't play up to their potential is wrong. They were over rated from the beginning. Now with a new coach coming in, I think another step back is possible.

All in all, I think both programs are about even at this point. And to be honest, that's a step up for UA looking at where we were recently as a program. We'll make more improvements next year, go to a bowl game and continue to get better. We'll see how the coaching hunt goes for ASU and how it effects their season next year.

Congrats to ASU for the win last night... Those kids played well while ours didn't.

As for me... The best part of the game were ASU's cheerleaders. Those black spandex pants and tiny tops were top notch. :D Made watching that game a little easier.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Well, I gotta say, we got our asses handed to us last night. I was at the game and ASU came out ready to play. Gotta give them props, they took care of business. As for UA, despite the loss, it was a good season as progress was made towards getting this program back to respectability. A bowl game was a good goal this year (and although a longshot, still a possibility) but all in all, I truly believe we're headed in the right direction. With a good defense in place and a very young offense (especially the offensive line) still being tweaked, I think everything is starting to take shape. Although the QB position is a definite question mark now. I don't believe Willie is ever going to be the player he once was much less reach the potential he had. It's a very sad situation as this kid had a great career ahead of him. I think it's classless that some ASU fans would call him soft. Concussions are no joke and it doesn't take much of a hit to suffer another once you've had one already. All the great players who have retired because of concussions (Aikman, Young, etc.) will tell you. As for the shot on Willie last night... I don't believe it was cheap. Football is a bang bang sport and stuff happens. But some of you ASU fans need to really think about what you're saying because some of the stuff coming out of your mouths is uncalled for when it comes to Willie. He's a 19 year old kid with a questionable future now. Anyways, I think Willie will come back next year but I really, REALLY think they need to have him and Tyler Lyon split reps over the offseason. Adam Austin was horrible and his play really hampered any kind of comeback last night. If a healthy Willie is in the game, I believe the game has a different outcome. Maybe not necessarily a victory for us, but less of a dominating outing by ASU.

Both teams were mediocre this year. Arizona making progress from crap we became in the Mackovic years and ASU taking a big step back from last season. I believe Rudy was the wrong choice at the QB position and that became evident as the season went on. The offense is good, the defense is still not. With our records being similar, I think that the idea that ASU didn't play up to their potential is wrong. They were over rated from the beginning. Now with a new coach coming in, I think another step back is possible.

All in all, I think both programs are about even at this point. And to be honest, that's a step up for UA looking at where we were recently as a program. We'll make more improvements next year, go to a bowl game and continue to get better. We'll see how the coaching hunt goes for ASU and how it effects their season next year.

Congrats to ASU for the win last night... Those kids played well while ours didn't.

As for me... The best part of the game were ASU's cheerleaders. Those black spandex pants and tiny tops were top notch. :D Made watching that game a little easier.
Well put. Agree 100%.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
It's all about strength of schedule and if you beat ranked teams and UofA had both.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It's all about strength of schedule and if you beat ranked teams and UofA had both.

Yeah, the overall records of the two teams is a bit misleading. The Cats did have a tougher out of conference schedule. Oh well, that's the breaks.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU is so good they got their coach fired. :biglaugh:

Well, we were getting ragged on by some UofA guys for accepting mediocrity when Koetter signed an extension. Personally, I'm thrilled that a mauling of UofA was not enough to save his job. Beating an average football program shouldn't be a measuring stick, even if it is the big rival.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where did Card Trader go? I'd love to hear the logic on this one... maybe it was the fact we beat Cal and BYU this year

How many top 25's did they beat?

Does NAU count?

Logic? Who cares, we ARE a better team than you, it was proven on the field. To deny that and rest on your 2 big wins this year is a joke. You guys are 6-6. Terrible. We took you guys to the woodshed and proved that your wins against Cal and BYU were nothing more than flukes and that the best college football team in Arizona, just like it has been for the past umpteen years, resides in Tempe.

Thanks for playing. Enjoy your BCS ranking!??! Like I said. We'll let you know how a bowl game is.....yeah, it'll be the crappy Emerald bowl or something, but Stoopids and the rest of the UofA would give their left testicle to be good enough to be in a crappy bowl like that.

Kudos.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BTW Zeno, take your tampon out. Me saying "I love dominating UofA. What is it, 4 of the last 5 and our only loss we outgained you by 300 yards??? Nice program" is far from classless. If you can't say that what can you say??

Rather than quoting your entire classless post I quoted the last part. You are obviously a child...but as I've seen demonstrated by fans of both school you aren't alone.

OP
OP
N

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Went down to Tucson for this one. If I would have known Sendek was gonna pull what he pulled, I would have stayed home. Oh well, all in all good times.

Got there about noon. Tail gated until 3:15. Went into the stadium. Enjoyed victory and eventually found a cool bar to watch USC dominate. 25 cent canned beer....they don't have anything like that up here....rock on.

As for the game. Not impressive. I don't think we win with a healthy Tuitama. As for the bowl....Emerald is alright with me....I've never been to the Bay Area. (is that where it is?? it sounds like it should be in Seattle)

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Hey, I'd let them have Tuitama back if we could get 8 of our good players back who were injured, most starters and all of them would've been used a lot. It was 21-7 with Tuitama playing. I bet ASU would've played better with all their starters healthy. UA is the worse team. Where was their great D? How did Torain run over you guys and how did Carpenter get so much time to throw when we didn't have our top 3 offensive lineman?

HooverDam

Reaction score
As for the game. Not impressive. I don't think we win with a healthy Tuitama. As for the bowl....Emerald is alright with me....I've never been to the Bay Area. (is that where it is?? it sounds like it should be in Seattle)

Why would ASU lose w/ Tui in the game? UA looked awful even with him in. Perhaps he would've turned it around, but its doubtful, UAs offense looked confused and sloppy the entire game.

EDIT: Also, since the refs mic wasn't working, I never heard- what was the official violation when the UA punter sort of kicked the ball along the ground? I had never seen such a thing, and wanted to know what rule exactly was broken.

OP
OP
N

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
EDIT: Also, since the refs mic wasn't working, I never heard- what was the official violation when the UA punter sort of kicked the ball along the ground? I had never seen such a thing, and wanted to know what rule exactly was broken.

It was a double kick

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
You can't kick the ball when it's on the ground. I don't know what the rules called however. Had nothing to do with a double kick

That play was hilarious. First, the punter lets the perfect snap go between is hands and hit him in the beak, then he pulls a pele and kicks it around a couple times, then gets laid the f out by one of the smallest guys in college football (Herring). Hilarious, what a ******!

OP
OP
N

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You can't kick the ball when it's on the ground. I don't know what the rules called however. Had nothing to do with a double kick

That play was hilarious. First, the punter lets the perfect snap go between is hands and hit him in the beak, then he pulls a pele and kicks it around a couple times, then gets laid the f out by one of the smallest guys in college football (Herring). Hilarious, what a ******!
It was a double kick, read the game log.

Why wouldn't you be allowed to kick a ball on the ground....did they outlaw PATs, FGs and drop kicks??

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
It was a double kick, read the game log.

Why wouldn't you be allowed to kick a ball on the ground....did they outlaw PATs, FGs and drop kicks??

Wrong.

NCAA College Football Rules and Regulations (A.R. 6-1-2-I): "A legal kick is a punt, drop kick, or place kick made according to the rules by a player of Team A before a change of team possession. Kicking the ball in any other manner is illegal."

I checked the ESPN game log which said "Arizona penalty 15 yard illegal kicking accepted." There is no rule named a "double kick," it falls under the above rule- a legal or illegal kick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard