Dragic out for rest of homestand.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Zabian time?

Paul Coro
Dragic is out for tonight & probably the rest of the homestand after needing 9 stitches in his left foot for stepping on glass.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Carter can run the second unit, but it will never happen. What a dork, don't walk on broken glass unless you are in the circus or performing on some beach.

dziki

Rookie
Reaction score
Naah man, he`s like Santiago Canizares (spanish soccer goalkeeper) before World Cup in 2002 (I guess) ... He missed this tournament because of that situation;-)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dowdell was signed as practice player to rest Nash. The Suns have always ignored the need to sign a proven third PG. I hope Dowdell is able to give Nash some rest. However, it's not like Dragic was playing well. If Dowdell does not turn the ball over the Suns may be alright.

Here is a link:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/117474

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic may not be playing well, but we are worse in games when Nash had to sit and Dragic was not playing. I guess we will find out if Dowdell can be productive outside of practices

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Dragic may not be playing well, but we are worse in games when Nash had to sit and Dragic was not playing. I guess we will find out if Dowdell can be productive outside of practices
I was visiting friends and couldn't watch the game. But the box score shows that Dowdell put up 4 points, 4 assists and 1 turnover in 13 minutes.

'Sounds pretty good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was visiting friends and couldn't watch the game. But the box score shows that Dowdell put up 4 points, 4 assists and 1 turnover in 13 minutes.

'Sounds pretty good.

He surprised me with how composed he was. Except for an errant airball, I thought he did fine. I think some people don't appreciate that he was out there until under 6 minutes remaining in the game. That's a nice rest for Nash--a good 6 minutes.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'Sounds pretty good.

i was pleasantly surprised he played well, which is good, because he will be needed on nights when Dragic is playing like crap.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i was pleasantly surprised he played well, which is good, because he will be needed on nights when Dragic is playing like crap.
I think this might end up being a great thing for Dragic, nothing slaps you in the head and screams "Wake Up" like watching some newbie come in and play your spot.

I don't think Dowdell was overly impressive but he did a decent job, Dragic saw it. When Dragic gets aggressive and stays in control he can play lights out. Maybe this is just what the doctor ordered.

If we can get some of the quality play from Dragic we know is in there...somewhere, our bench would be the bomb again. With Gortat and Lopez playing better, it sure would nice to get consistancy from Dragic when he comes back in.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He surprised me with how composed he was. Except for an errant airball, I thought he did fine. I think some people don't appreciate that he was out there until under 6 minutes remaining in the game. That's a nice rest for Nash--a good 6 minutes.

Dowdell can play in the NBA if he plays with composure. His lack of composure has kept him out of the NBA. If he just remains focused on running the team, making the basic passes and not turning the ball over he can have an NBA career. His not doing the above has kept him out of the NBA. He can score but this often gets him out of the PG mindset. This is Dowdell's big opportunity.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this might end up being a great thing for Dragic, nothing slaps you in the head and screams "Wake Up" like watching some newbie come in and play your spot.

I don't think Dowdell was overly impressive but he did a decent job, Dragic saw it. When Dragic gets aggressive and stays in control he can play lights out. Maybe this is just what the doctor ordered.

If we can get some of the quality play from Dragic we know is in there...somewhere, our bench would be the bomb again. With Gortat and Lopez playing better, it sure would nice to get consistancy from Dragic when he comes back in.

Dragic is still a very good perimeter defender, even when he is struggling offensively.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Dowdell had a couple 'ohmygodI'minanNBAgame' type moments but overall he played well. I think the biggest knock on Dragic right now is that he holds on to the ball just a little bit too much and Dowdell did a fairly good job of just moving the ball.

A little competition for the spot is a good thing right now.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea Dowdell wasn't put up big numbers but the opponents didn't start blowing us out when Nash sat. He had good control of the game and had a good pass to Warrick for the slam too.

Normally with Dragic, if we had a 10 pt lead before Nash goes to the bench, that turns into a 12 pt deficit by the time Nash comes back in.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dragic is still a very good perimeter defender, even when he is struggling offensively.
Agree, when he can fine tune that offensive push I will do cartwills. Him and Barbosa were hilarious because they were unpredictable. That was fun.:)

Errntknght

Reaction score
Yea Dowdell wasn't put up big numbers but the opponents didn't start blowing us out when Nash sat. He had good control of the game and had a good pass to Warrick for the slam too.

Normally with Dragic, if we had a 10 pt lead before Nash goes to the bench, that turns into a 12 pt deficit by the time Nash comes back in.

I thought Dowdell looked better than Dragic has for the most part this year - and it was a challenging situation for him in the second half. The other bits of Zabian I've seen didn't give me much hope for him but Goran has left the door wide open for someone else to take his slot away from him. Hopefully, Dowdell will make good use of the opportunity and Dragic will respond to the challenge.

Interestingly, this is one place the individual +/- stat is useful because the overall performance of the team while a PG is on the floor is precisely what one is most concerned about.

(82games.com hasn't updated their stats since January 19th, which might mean they are shutting down their site. You can find individual +/- (but not much else) at
http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=1&season=42009&split=9&team=Suns
)

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dowdell looked decent for a while there, except for an ugly turnover and an airball. But there are other options available. Scottie Reynolds is playing in the D-League (13.7 points, 5.8 assists). He looked better in the summer league than Dowdell.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Reynolds was my choice last summer and I'd still like the team to give him a shot.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Didn't we have a guy ppl compared to Hornacek for a while earlier this season? Whatever happened to him?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Didn't we have a guy ppl compared to Hornacek for a while earlier this season? Whatever happened to him?

Can't think of his name, but I know who you mean... he was our third guard in the summer league along with Dowdell and Reynolds. He was much more of SG than they were. The Hornacek comparison seemed fairly apt in the summer league as he kept his wits about him and shot well but he seemed to wilt on the larger stage. Its possible he's out with an injury but I seem to recall he was waived.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This would be Matt Janning. I believe he was waived or released. I'm not sure where is is now.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
who is this dragic person you guys speak of?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard