Draft Tuesday: Cardinals Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. The major stumbling block, IMO, on the Q trade front, is whether teams are willing to pay Q the $9M a year he wants. This puts Q in a pickle...because if no team makes a serious offer for him, the Cardinals can feel exonerated by not being able or willing to offer Q the money he wants.

What Q may have to do if he is so determined to leave Arizona is have Drew Rosenhaus say to teams that Q is willing to revisit his contract demands after next season. If Q does that, the offers might come his and the Cardinals' way in droves.

Too bad that, because of his indignance toward the Cardinals' front office, Q doesn't seem to get the bigger picture here. In Arizona he is playing in what is the perfect offense for him with a QB who probably better than any QB in the NFL knows how to get him the ball. In this system, Q is likely headed toward Canton and pro football immortality. And now that the Cardinals are legitimate Super Bowl contenders for the next two years and possibly beyond, Q might even further his pro football legend by winning a ring. Let's face it, Hall of Fame football players are set financially for the rest of their lives...they are icons who can land sinecures as TV commentators...can land advertising gigs...and can collect royalties on memorabilia. The point is, if Q would just focus on his football goals and not get so wrapped up in the money end of the business, everything would likely take care of itself. And, seeing as Tory Holt, at his age, just signed a 3 year contract worth a potential $20M, Q must be encouraged to think that he would likely do better than that in two years when his contract is up.

In the novel Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse, the protagonist goes on a life journey to find his "ohm." He endures all kinds of travels and life lessons along the way including a costly bout with greed and materialism, only to find that his "ohm" was right in his own backyard the whole time. Q, if you ever read this board, please do yourself a favor and read this book. The stars are aligned for you in Arizona and have been from the start.

2. The person who might have the biggest impact on the Cardinals' draft could well be the new WR Coach John McNulty. McNulty was the OC at Rutgers the past few years and would have first hand knowledge of some of the key players the Cardinals may be studying in this draft.

First of all, if the Cardinals do trade Q and would have the opportunity to draft WR Kenny Britt, McNulty's influence could be pivotal. McNulty helpe to turn Britt into the Big East's all time leading WR in yards in just three seasons.

You might ask why the Cardinals would take a WR at #31 when they already have the quartet of Fitzgerald, Breaston, Doucet and Urban and they have other more glaring needs? The answer to me is two-fold: (1) Britt is a special talent and as Ron Wolfley said recently in the Cardinals Underground Podcast "the Cardinals' identity is passing the football"; (2) psychologically by adding Britt the team can still boast an awesome WR unit and worry less about injuries affecting the group.

Now all this might be a moot point if the Giants take Britt at #29 as I expect them to...unless the Cardinals add an earlier first in a Boldin trade.

However...how about McNulty's thoughts on the following Big East players he saw and in some cases prepped against?

OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
RB Donald Brown, Connecticut
LB Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
LB Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida
RB LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh
OLB Cody Brown, Connecticut
C Eric Wood, Louisville
OLB Corey Smith, Cincinnati
QB Pat White, West Virginia
WR Tiquan Underwood, TE Mike Brock, QB Mike Teel, Rutgers
DBs Mike Mickens, Deangelo Smith and Brandon Underwood, Cincinnati
OL Ryan Stanchek, Greg Isander, Mike Dent, West Virginia
G Trevor Canfield, Cincinnati
CB Ellis Lankster, West Virginia
DBs Courtney Greene, Jason McCourty, DL Jamaal Westerman Rutgers
CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
P Kevin Huber, Cincinnati
DE Jon Monga, TE Bear Pascoe, Fresno St. (played versus in first game)
RB Andre Brown, TE Anthony Hill, North Carolina St. (played in Bowl game)

The questions I wonder about with McNulty:

A. Has he campaigned for WR Kenny Britt at #31?

B. Which RB does he like best: Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy or Andre Brown?

C. Would he be lobbying for RB Ray Rice as a player in a trade for Q?

D. What does he think of QB Pat White?

E. What does he think of OLB/TE Connor Barwin?

I think that of any offensive coach on the staff, McNulty may have the best chance to become the next OC, especially in light of the success Rutgers had passing the football in his tenure there.

3. The Steelers' LB mold...strong and sturdy on the outside, quick, tough and rangy on the inside...what draft prospects fit those molds?

OLB34:

Robert Ayers, Tennessee
Brian Orakpo, Texas
Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
Larry English, Northern Illinois
David Veikune, Hawaii
Paul Kruger, Utah
Phillip Hunt, Houston
Maurice Evans, Penn. St.
Tim Jamieson, Michigan
Kyle Moore, USC

ILB34:

Clint Sintim, Virginia
Clay Matthews, USC
Dannell Ellerbe, Georgia
Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
Jason Phillips, TCU
Kaluka Maiava, USC
Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida
Marcus Freeman, Ohio St.
Marty Ivy, West Virginia
Gerald McRath, Sothern Mississippi
Nic Harris, Oklahoma
Antonio Appleby, Virginia
Franz Joseph, Florida International
Kevin Akins, Boston College
Jonathan Casillas, Wisconsin
DeAndre Levy, Wisconsin
Corey Smith, Cincinnati
Ashlee Palmer, Mississippi

Let me put in a plug for Kevin Akins of Boston College. This kid played all over the defense at BC...played LB, CB, rush end...he's a fast and tough athlete...and with some added strength could be a good WILB for the Cardinals down the road, because he has the range, blitzing ability and cover skills. This is a kid who was always around the ball wherever he lined up.

The Cardinals can really bolster their defensive depth deep into this draft, which may allow for a couple of early picks on offense.

4. Which leads me into today's mock...with the trade of Q for RB Felix Jones and the #69 and #117 picks (which makes the most sense to me for both sides):

#31: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers. Too good to pass up. Keeps the Cardinals' WR unit the best in the NFL. If the Giants take him at #29, we go with Connor Barwin, OLB34, Cincinnati or Larry English, OLB34, Northern Illinois.

#63: David Veikune, OLB34, Hawaii. The perfect player, IMO, to take over for Chike. Bench presses 455 pounds and has a non-stop motor.

#69: James Casey, TE, Rice. Whiz gets his TE here, and what a gifted receiver this kid is.

#95: Scott McKillop, ILB34, Pittsburgh. Maybe the surest tackler in the draft.

#117: Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech. Rangy playmaker to fill the FS need in the nickel and dime packages.

#131: Tyronne Green, G, Auburn. Pounder who needs technique work.

#167: Phillip Hunt, OLB34, Houston. Same size as James Harrison, Strong lower body and has a very quick forst step on the edge.

#204: Captain Munnerlyn, CB, South Carolina. A diminutive CB with 4.39 speed who should have stayed in school. Adds ST value as a returner.

#240: Kevin Akins, WILB34, Boston College. Good project with very good athletic ability and a nose for the football.

#254: Camerson Goldberg, T, Duke. Brings aggressiveness, needs to fill out and polish his techniques.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The Cards aren't drafting a WR unless he returns kicks and/or punts and it won't be until later in the draft.

Just because we're trading Boldin doesn't mean our passing offense is going in the crapper. Sheesh.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I see our primary needs at LB, both inside and out, RB, and O-Line.

Based on what I have heard/read from our Organization, if there is a BPA outside of these positions, they may take them. I agree with that approach but based on this year's crop I believe the above positions will be taken in the first 3 rounds. The scouts also are paying attention to what The Coach wants in terms of character and abilities. Coach has also mentioned the need for youth at OLB, so I pay attention to that.

I did not include TE in the list. I believe that with the addition of the veteran blocker Becht, we have plenty of competition for the roster at that spot.

O-Line includes C, OT, and OG. I do not project these positions as area's of "need", but if a player falls to us, he might be hard not to take. Here are the concensus rankings for each of these positions (I did not impose my personal opinion, I consolidated other "expert's rankings)

C: 1. Alex Mack (everybody's #1) 2. Max Unger 3. Eric Wood
OT: 1-4 are virtual toss-ups. Jason Smith, Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith.
OG: 1. Duke Robinson is concensus the #1. #2-4 would include Andy Levitre, Herman Johnson and Kraig Urbik. Trevor Canfield and Herman Johnson could crack the top 5.

RBs: First round candidates include Wells, Moreno, and possibly Donald Brown. If the Cardinals wait until the 2nd round or later to select a RB, I expect LeSean McCoy, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, Javon Ringer and Andre Brown to be possibilties.

ILB: 1. Rey Maualuga 2. James Laurinaitis 3. Gerald McRath 4. Jason Phillips

* Clint Sintim makes the top 3 on some lists at ILB and some at OLB.

OLB/3-4: 1. Aaron Curry 2. Aaron Maybin 3. Brian Cushing 4. Clay Mathews 5. Larry English. Others that could crack the top 5 here are Marcus Freeman and Cody Brown

Picking 31st I do not expect we will get any of the #1s on these lists with the possible exception of Alex Mack at C. Without a trade, my prediction is that two of the players I have mentioned above will be Arizona Cardinals this year. I am stoked about that. If we trade for an additional 1st rd pick I think we will have three of them. The Coaches and scouts will consider information we do not have. I trust them to do their jobs.

Are there any other players at a position of need that you think we might take in the first 2, maybe 3, rounds?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1. The major stumbling block, IMO, on the Q trade front, is whether teams are willing to pay Q the $9M a year he wants. This puts Q in a pickle...because if no team makes a serious offer for him, the Cardinals can feel exonerated by not being able or willing to offer Q the money he wants.

What Q may have to do if he is so determined to leave Arizona is have Drew Rosenhaus say to teams that Q is willing to revisit his contract demands after next season. If Q does that, the offers might come his and the Cardinals' way in droves.

Too bad that, because of his indignance toward the Cardinals' front office, Q doesn't seem to get the bigger picture here. In Arizona he is playing in what is the perfect offense for him with a QB who probably better than any QB in the NFL knows how to get him the ball. In this system, Q is likely headed toward Canton and pro football immortality. And now that the Cardinals are legitimate Super Bowl contenders for the next two years and possibly beyond, Q might even further his pro football legend by winning a ring. Let's face it, Hall of Fame football players are set financially for the rest of their lives...they are icons who can land sinecures as TV commentators...can land advertising gigs...and can collect royalties on memorabilia. The point is, if Q would just focus on his football goals and not get so wrapped up in the money end of the business, everything would likely take care of itself. And, seeing as Tory Holt, at his age, just signed a 3 year contract worth a potential $20M, Q must be encouraged to think that he would likely do better than that in two years when his contract is up.

In the novel Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse, the protagonist goes on a life journey to find his "ohm." He endures all kinds of travels and life lessons along the way including a costly bout with greed and materialism, only to find that his "ohm" was right in his own backyard the whole time. Q, if you ever read this board, please do yourself a favor and read this book. The stars are aligned for you in Arizona and have been from the start.

2. The person who might have the biggest impact on the Cardinals' draft could well be the new WR Coach Mike McNulty. McNulty was the OC at Rutgers the past few years and would have first hand knowledge of some of the key players the Cardinals may be studying in this draft.

First of all, if the Cardinals do trade Q and would have the opportunity to draft WR Kenny Britt, McNulty's influence could be pivotal. McNulty helpe to turn Britt into the Big East's all time leading WR in yards in just three seasons.

You might ask why the Cardinals would take a WR at #31 when they already have the quartet of Fitzgerald, Breaston, Doucet and Urban and they have other more glaring needs? The answer to me is two-fold: (1) Britt is a special talent and as Ron Wolfley said recently in the Cardinals Underground Podcast "the Cardinals' identity is passing the football"; (2) psychologically by adding Britt the team can still boast an awesome WR unit and worry less about injuries affecting the group.

Now all this might be a moot point if the Giants take Britt at #29 as I expect them to...unless the Cardinals add an earlier first in a Boldin trade.

However...how about McNulty's thoughts on the following Big East players he saw and in some cases prepped against?

OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
RB Donald Brown, Connecticut
LB Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
LB Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida
RB LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh
OLB Cody Brown, Connecticut
C Eric Wood, Louisville
OLB Corey Smith, Cincinnati
QB Pat White, West Virginia
WR Tiquan Underwood, TE Mike Brock, QB Mike Teel, Rutgers
DBs Mike Mickens, Deangelo Smith and Brandon Underwood, Cincinnati
OL Ryan Stanchek, Greg Isander, Mike Dent, West Virginia
G Trevor Canfield, Cincinnati
CB Ellis Lankster, West Virginia
DBs Courtney Greene, Jason McCourty, DL Jamaal Westerman Rutgers
CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
P Kevin Huber, Cincinnati
DE Jon Monga, TE Bear Pascoe, Fresno St. (played versus in first game)
RB Andre Brown, TE Anthony Hill, North Carolina St. (played in Bowl game)

The questions I wonder about with McNulty:

A. Has he campaigned for WR Kenny Britt at #31?

B. Which RB does he like best: Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy or Andre Brown?

C. Would he be lobbying for RB Ray Rice as a player in a trade for Q?

D. What does he think of QB Pat White?

E. What does he think of OLB/TE Connor Barwin?

I think that of any offensive coach on the staff, McNulty may have the best chance to become the next OC, especially in light of the success Rutgers had passing the football in his tenure there.

3. The Steelers' LB mold...strong and sturdy on the outside, quick, tough and rangy on the inside...what draft prospects fit those molds?

OLB34:

Robert Ayers, Tennessee
Brian Orakpo, Texas
Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
Larry English, Northern Illinois
David Veikune, Hawaii
Paul Kruger, Utah
Phillip Hunt, Houston
Maurice Evans, Penn. St.
Tim Jamieson, Michigan
Kyle Moore, USC

ILB34:

Clint Sintim, Virginia
Clay Matthews, USC
Dannell Ellerbe, Georgia
Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
Jason Phillips, TCU
Kaluka Maiava, USC
Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida
Marcus Freeman, Ohio St.
Marty Ivy, West Virginia
Gerald McRath, Sothern Mississippi
Nic Harris, Oklahoma
Antonio Appleby, Virginia
Franz Joseph, Florida International
Kevin Akins, Boston College
Jonathan Casillas, Wisconsin
DeAndre Levy, Wisconsin
Corey Smith, Cincinnati
Ashlee Palmer, Mississippi

Let me put in a plug for Kevin Akins of Boston College. This kid played all over the defense at BC...played LB, CB, rush end...he's a fast and tough athlete...and with some added strength could be a good WILB for the Cardinals down the road, because he has the range, blitzing ability and cover skills. This is a kid who was always around the ball wherever he lined up.

The Cardinals can really bolster their defensive depth deep into this draft, which may allow for a couple of early picks on offense.

4. Which leads me into today's mock...with the trade of Q for RB Felix Jones and the #69 and #117 picks (which makes the most sense to me for both sides):

#31: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers. Too good to pass up. Keeps the Cardinals' WR unit the best in the NFL. If the Giants take him at #29, we go with Connor Barwin, OLB34, Cincinnati or Larry English, OLB34, Northern Illinois.

#63: David Veikune, OLB34, Hawaii. The perfect player, IMO, to take over for Chike. Bench presses 455 pounds and has a non-stop motor.

#69: James Casey, TE, Rice. Whiz gets his TE here, and what a gifted receiver this kid is.

#95: Scott McKillop, ILB34, Pittsburgh. Maybe the surest tackler in the draft.

#117: Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech. Rangy playmaker to fill the FS need in the nickel and dime packages.

#131: Tyronne Green, G, Auburn. Pounder who needs technique work.

#167: Phillip Hunt, OLB34, Houston. Same size as James Harrison, Strong lower body and has a very quick forst step on the edge.

#204: Captain Munnerlyn, CB, South Carolina. A diminutive CB with 4.39 speed who should have stayed in school. Adds ST value as a returner.

#240: Kevin Akins, WILB34, Boston College. Good project with very good athletic ability and a nose for the football.

#254: Camerson Goldberg, T, Duke. Brings aggressiveness, needs to fill out and polish his techniques.

Felix Jones and Jerry Jones are all about Arkansas. Arkansas is a Cowboy state and Felix is more than just a good player he is a draw of fans from Arkansas. He has been in Arkansas for the past few days with Darren McFadden help raise money for some cause. I do not see Jerry Jones letting one of the states favorite sons traded to anyone. I see Jones running wild for the Cowboys next year. Could we ever use Jones. You bet we could as a RB and a kick returner. He has excess speed and then some.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Q end up with the Cowboys, but the thought of Felix Jones and a couple of extra picks sounds exciting. I for one am not worried about who we would trade Boldin to, except within our division.

I don't agree with taking any wr with our first pick. Lance Long is another guy who could step in and get some playing time. That being said, we need Doucet to step up big time and that means starting today.

I think ( without a trade ) the Cards will take an OLB with the first pick unless one of the top 3 fall to us which I don't think will happen. We are very long in the tooth at that position and that is what the draft is all about....NEXT year.

If we do deal Q, the next few weeks will get real interesting especially if we come away with a top notch RB. The Cards would then release Edge freeing up 6m and Q's salary. We should see a deal get done with Wilson and perhaps Dansby (if he REALLY wants to stay a Cardinal).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Kenny Britt at #31? Cool. And we could take a DE from Wake Forest with our next pick.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kenny Britt at #31? Cool. And we could take a DE from Wake Forest with our next pick.

:D

I would actually be okay with the DE from Wake Forest. The issue wasn't Calvins ability so much as the pitiful coaching staff and throwing him into the fire immediately. CP has justified his draft status at this point IMHO.

BJ.....yeah he was a bust for a 1st rd pick.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
The Cards aren't drafting a WR unless he returns kicks and/or punts and it won't be until later in the draft.

Just because we're trading Boldin doesn't mean our passing offense is going in the crapper. Sheesh.

For Britt and no other WR save perhaps Percy Harvin who could double a the speed back, the Cardinals won't take a WR. I agree. But, not only would Britt be the BPA at #31...remember that the Cardinals already had Q when they drafted Larry Fitzgerald? Britt is special enough to take there.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On the NFL Network, Path to the Draft, Mayock and Casserly said that the next player that Casey blocks, will be his first. They added that that is true of a lot of the TE's in the Draft.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
On the NFL Network, Path to the Draft, Mayock and Casserly said that the next player that Casey blocks, will be his first. They added that that is true of a lot of the TE's in the Draft.

WE have the blocking TE now in Anthony Becht. What Whiz wants is a Heath Miller pass catching threat over the middle and in the seams.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
WE have the blocking TE now in Anthony Becht.

We dont know that yet. Dude is on his 3rd team in 3 years. Not really a confidence booster in his abilities. I dont currently have high expectations of the soon to be 32 year old.

Casey is not a TE and should never be called a TE IMO. He is a WR and he would play as such, just like he did at Rice. If we traded Boldin I wouldnt mind taking him in the 3rd.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
We dont know that yet. Dude is on his 3rd team in 3 years. Not really a confidence booster in his abilities. I dont currently have high expectations of the soon to be 32 year old.

Casey is not a TE and should never be called a TE IMO. He is a WR and he would play as such, just like he did at Rice. If we traded Boldin I wouldnt mind taking him in the 3rd.

Casey is a receiver TE (some call it an H-back)...so is Travis Beckham and Chase Coffman...those dudes don't block they just pass catches over the middle, in the flats or up the seams.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Mitch, good work once again!! You lost me when mentioning the book, but i will recover by Saturday. Teams kn ow going in they will have to reup with Boldin, that's the whole and sole reason he's on the block.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought we needed a TE who does both (catch and block) like Heath Miller. Becht is far from a sure thing to make the team if Spach is healthy, and Patrick, to me, is a good pass catcher who is injury prone. With all our receivers, it doesn't seem a pass catching TE is a big need unless we trade Q. And even then, an improved running game might be a higher priority.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt if he falls that far but Shawn Nelson would be a steal in the 3rd. He's not much of a blocker either but he's tough and fast. He at least gives a decent effort in blocking.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Haha I think Mitch has predicted us to take about 50 players at 31 with all the mocks he has made. I would be SHOCKED if we took Britt.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
:yeahthat:

This stuff is really getting ridiculous.

Sure, but its still fun. Nothing else to do really. Thankfully we don't have another 5-11 season and the loss of one or more key players to FA to gnash our teeth about.

As for drafting Fitz when we had Boldin and BJohnson. I still say that was just blind luck. LF imo was simply part of the Denny Green package. If Green hadn't been coach and had close ties to the Fitzgerald's we wouldn't have Larry.

Edit: just looked at the 2004 draft. Wow what a class that was. You could have nothing but 4th round picks and done well.

Last edited: