Draft - one week out - what do the Cardinals do with #4?

What do the Cards do with #4

• Keep - select other (specify in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The new coach and new GM do not have the option of showing KM the door so they might as well pronounce that they ‘like him.’ They have already got rid of KM’s moves as GM (Moore, Hollywood, Hopkins) while other players left via retirement or requested trade (Fitz, Green, Errz).

KM is very lucky that Sean Payton did not take the Card’s job—it would be KM looking for a new team instead of Russell Wilson, dead cap money be damned. As soon as it is economically feasible to move on from KM, best believe the Cards will do it. The new FO will want their QB under center and using play-action instead of dancing around from the shotgun. Their careers depend upon their choice of the most important position. The occasional scampers and playground splash plays KM offers are not a sustainable playbook to march to the playoffs and beyond. For KM’s survival, the designed runs have to be toned down. Too risky to send an undersized QB on runs given he went down already with a non-contact knee.

KM is currently rated as a ‘middle-of-the-pack’ starting QB. A lot of QBs have already surpassed what KM offers. There are a dozen+ QBs who are already better than KM and several others with a more promising future. One rating of all the 66 QB who started a game in 2023 had KM at #23. 14 teams make the playoffs—how far will the Cards go with a QB who is not even in the top 14?

KM had his ‘fifteen minutes of fame’ under KK and is destined to be a backup (at best) once this huge contract runs its course. KM is a second-tier QB and the Cards will be lucky to approach .500—which is on track for a QB who has a career mark under .500.

I realize this forum is pretty much a closed system with a dozen or so old-timers controlling the opinions. Personal affection from the fan base for KM is not going to change what KM can do on the field. The flaws in his game are baked-in and hard-wired going forward. His flaws are also in the game plan for all the D-coordinators and will keep the Cards from the playoffs next year—and beyond. Maybe KM will get to .500 for his career and pass for 4,000 yards in a season? Don't bet on it.

This is a well-written summary from someone who clearly did not closely watch KM adapt to the new offence and, with a substandard set of weapons, create a top-ten offence during his return.

So sad.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Marvin Harrison Jr is the top ranked prospect on their draft board and they have the option to draft him at four and trade out for an added 1st rounder who will then be less of a qualified selection just to add to the crap shoot which is the draft... then Monti need not be the GM
Totally disagree

If he can get Odunze who is like a 97 compared to MHJ being 100 and pick up a future first that could be a top 10 pick, he would be an idiot not to make the trade IMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If Marvin Harrison Jr is the top ranked prospect on their draft board and they have the option to draft him at four and trade out for an added 1st rounder who will then be less of a qualified selection just to add to the crap shoot which is the draft... then Monti need not be the GM
If you could guarantee me Odunze AND an additional 1st, I'd absolutely take that deal.

I'm not even fully convinced that Harrison Jr. will be better than Odunze. The numbers tell me that Odunze was better than Harrison Jr. at quite a few things last year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you could guarantee me Odunze AND an additional 1st, I'd absolutely take that deal.

I'm not even fully convinced that Harrison Jr. will be better than Odunze. The numbers tell me that Odunze was better than Harrison Jr. at quite a few things last year.

Sure, sure but there are caveats.

As in, who was QBing for each last season and conveniently ignoring MHJ's 2022 season with a first-rate QB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Totally disagree

If he can get Odunze who is like a 97 compared to MHJ being 100 and pick up a future first that could be a top 10 pick, he would be an idiot not to make the trade IMO.
Magic beans enthusiast

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
General consensus is that this is a very good draft year with depth through 3 rounds

so: collecting additional picks in this years draft is a good strategy. Especially importatnt if you are trying to build a contending team with a QB on a 2nd contract. You need cheap talent.

If i were Monti: trading down from 4 is on the table assuming the right compensation AND being able to get back into the top 10 to get one of the top 3 WRs would be my strategy. Even then -- taking a top flight pass rusher or corner at the traded down spot is hardly the worst outcome.
We have 2 firsts, a second, and 3 thirds. We have 6 picks in the first 90 picks of the draft. We have more than enough picks in the top 3 rounds. Hell, we can afford to use some of them as ammo to trade up. We don't need additional picks. We need the top WR talent in the draft. Need and opportunity have met in a confluence of opportunity for us. Monti would be crazy not to take the opportunity staring him in the face.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I went with stick with 4 and go MHJ. I feel Odunze will be good in the right environment but does KM like to throw it in tight coverage?

Last edited:

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Hail Murray was pretty tight coverage :)
Wasn’t that a prayer? Devine intervention! I was at that game in the endzone of the catch during the COVID game.

Generally, doesn’t he stay away from tight coverage?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like the odds of the pick being top 10, over mhj having super powers which it seems many on here prescribe to him.

the giants have next to nothing going for them, I like the odds of it being top 10 quite a bit.
They were better than us without a QB for much of the season

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like the odds of the pick being top 10, over mhj having super powers which it seems many on here prescribe to him.

the giants have next to nothing going for them, I like the odds of it being top 10 quite a bit.
How did that work out for us this year? Oh, 27th not top 10.

And I think everyone here forgets how quickly things change. “Giants have next to nothing going for them” but were in the playoffs a long long time ago (2022).

This is magic beans doing their hypnotism work.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did that work out for us this year? Oh, 27th not top 10.

And I think everyone here forgets how quickly things change. “Giants have next to nothing going for them” but were in the playoffs a long long time ago (2022).

This is magic beans doing their hypnotism work.
:rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn