Down on the farm

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carlos Gonzalez was named offensive player of the week in the Cal League
“.379 (11-29), 9 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 3 BB, 9 SO, 0 SB, .793 SLG
Gonzalez has been playing in the shadow of Lancaster’s star hitter Chris Rahl all season but refused to be ignored this week. The right fielder leads the JetHawks with 34 RBIs and falls second to Rahl in most offensive categories after his clutch week. In Lancaster’s 13-2 win over San Jose on Saturday, Gonzalez went 3-for-5 with three RBIs and three runs scored.”

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I was going to start a thread like this so we can post updates regarding our prospects whenever we feel fit. We need to start talking about whats going on in our farm system more. We talk about the same 7-10 prospects all the time but don't give any love to the others. Lets make this a popular thread!

PHX 4 LIFE

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
hey im not a big baseball fan but how are the dbacks doing so far??? im more of a suns fan bigtime! haha

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHX 4 LIFE said:
hey im not a big baseball fan but how are the dbacks doing so far??? im more of a suns fan bigtime! haha
First place in the division by half a game, but its still early.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Not one of our prospects unfortunately, but a great article on former ASU stand out Travis Buck, who is now moving to AA.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/news/261448.html

I got to interview Travis last summer. It was when ASU was still in the hunt for the Championship.

Travis is a really nice, down to earth guy and WILL make it to the bigs. He's a true 5 tool player.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sidewinders close to first place. Looks like Enrique Gonzalez could be joining the D'Backs soon.

The Sidewinders broke a 1-1 game open with 9 runs in the 6th and 7th innings to win their 3rd straight over the Albuquerque Isotopes. Enrique Gonzalez was sharp in his 3 scoreless innings of work, allowing just 2 hits and a walk while striking out 6 before he was removed. There wasn’t any signs of injuries or ineffectiveness, so his pitch count was limited for another reason. He could be on standby for a callup to the Diamondbacks after the Orlando Hernandez trade opened up a spot in the rotation. He only threw 54 pitches today.
The Sidewinders got on the board first in the 3rd when a 2-out throwing error allowed Alberto Callaspo to reach and Brian Barden to score from 3rd. That extended Callaspo’s streak of reaching base in every game this month. He would also get 3 walks in the game, including 1 intentional, but he finished 0-2 to snap his hitting streak at 12. Mike Bacsik relieved Gonzalez and struck out the side in the 4th before giving up a run in the 5th after an error by Stephen Drew.
Drew and Carlos Quentin singled to start the 6th and scored on Scott Hairston’s 11th homer of the season. New Isotopes pitcher Chris Young came in and gave up a double and 2 more singles to make it 5-1. After a sac bunt, the Isotopes paid Callaspo and his RISP numbers the ultimate respect by intentionally walking him to load the bases. The move backfired however when Young walked Tucson’s Chris Young to force in the 6th run. With another Chris Young pitching in the Majors for the Padres, it will be very confusing when these 2 join him up in the big leagues. Drew, in his 2nd at bat of the inning, grounded out to bring in run number 7. They tacked on 3 runs in the 7th. With 2 outs and runners at 1st and 2nd, Callaspo walked to load the bases. A wild pitch scored a run and everyone moved up. The other 2 runners scored on Young’s single and a throwing error.
Tucson had more than 10 hits for the 3rd straight day with Barden going 4-5 and Kenny Perez 2-5. Drew’s lone hit extended his hitting streak to 11 games while Quentin was hit by a pitch for 17th and 18th times.
Bacsik got the win and Tony Pena made his first appearance since joining the team from Tennessee. Pena pitched 2 innings, allowing a run on a hit and a walk while striking out 2.
With the win, Tucson has moved within 1/2 a game of their division lead.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sidewinders complete the 4-game sweep of Albuquerque.

Sidewinders scrap Isotopes
May 25, 2006

Edgar Gonzalez allowed two runs in seven innings and fanned 10 as Tucson completed a four-game sweep of Albuquerque with a 9-2 victory Thursday afternoon.
Gonzalez (2-4) scattered six hits and did not walk a batter. The 23-year-old right-hander struck out the side in the fourth and is tied for second in the Pacific Coast League with 57 strikeouts. Greg Aquino and Mike Koplove each tossed a scoreless frame in relief.

The Sidewinders (27-21) provided Gonzalez with plenty of run support. Chris Young and Stephen Drew both hit solo homers, while Carlos Quentin capped the game's scoring with a three-run blast in the eighth. Brian Barden went 3-for-5 with a double, two RBIs and a run scored.

Mike Kinkade accounted for the Isotopes' scoring with a two-run homer in the sixth. Albuquerque (30-18) collected eight hits, but went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.

Nic Ungs (6-3) failed to become the PCL's first seven-game winner. The 26-year-old right-hander allowed five runs on 10 hits -- both season highs -- over 6 2/3 innings. Eddie Gaillard surrendered four runs on three hits and two walks in 1 1/3 frames, while Matt Yourkin worked a scoreless ninth. -- Benjamin Hill/MLB.com

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Who has seen Gonzalez pitch? Some posters on this board have said he's not MLB ready but his season so far has been very impressive. It seems like he deserves a shot but I could be wrong. What's the consensus?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Who has seen Gonzalez pitch? Some posters on this board have said he's not MLB ready but his season so far has been very impressive. It seems like he deserves a shot but I could be wrong. What's the consensus?
Enrique or Edgar?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Greg Smith is whuppin butts in Lancaster -- of all places.

Greg Smith, who has won six straight games and was already one of just two pitchers in the California League this season to throw a complete game shutout, accomplished the feat again, giving up just Lobaton’s double and three walks as the JetHawks beat the Storm 4-0. Smith also set a season high with eight strikeouts.

The one-hitter pitched by Smith is the first thrown by a JetHawks pitcher in a nine-inning game since April 4, 1998. The JetHawks held San Bernardino to one hit in a seven-inning double header game in 2002.

Generally, the Jethawks suck -- which is OK if they're actually using the time to learn fundamentals, but that remains to be seen. Brett Butler has had some health issues, heart-related, but he's not exactly blowing me away as a manager.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talking about managers, since Chip Hale returned to the Sidewinders, they really started to play a lot better. They were in first before last night's game. I know Tucson has a lot of talent but you also have to give some credit to Hale.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Young has really started to get it going..Drew is picking it back up...and Callaspo has looked pretty good too.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to my first Sidewinder's game last night. Based on what I saw, I don't know if Stephen Drew can be an adequate SS. He made two bad throws to first base that resulted in a runner getting to second both times. He also dropped a fly ball hit to shallow LF. Combine those things with being 0/5 and Drew had an awful. Callaspo (who was playing 3B), looked a lot better than Drew defensively. He has an above average arm and pretty good range. I was also impressed by Young who hit the ball very hard (even though he was 1/5 and seems very fast and pretty good in CF. I also saw what the scouts have always said about Chris Carter at 1B. He did not look good out there. Somehow he stole a base during the game though.

I got to see Mr. Finch and Choate blow the lead just like they would've in the big leagues. Tony Pena looked pretty good though. Bill Murphy does seem like a ML pitcher at this point. If I had to guess I'd say he didn't throw a pitch above 90 all night. He went too deep into accounts (couldn't put people away) and walked a few guys.

Other notes:
1) Corey Myers was there playing for the Angels' affiliate and made a couple of useful outs
2) Erick Aybar is going to be a good ML shortstop
3) Howie Kendrick didn't do much but you could really tell how good of a hitter he is.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
All the times I've seen Drew I have really thought he looked good in the field, this must have been just an off game for him. Callaspo has been very good though...

Yeah, that Aybar kid for the Angels has torn up the Sidewinders pretty good this season.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
nm132 said:
I went to my first Sidewinder's game last night. Based on what I saw, I don't know if Stephen Drew can be an adequate SS. He made two bad throws to first base that resulted in a runner getting to second both times. He also dropped a fly ball hit to shallow LF. Combine those things with being 0/5 and Drew had an awful. Callaspo (who was playing 3B), looked a lot better than Drew defensively. He has an above average arm and pretty good range. I was also impressed by Young who hit the ball very hard (even though he was 1/5 and seems very fast and pretty good in CF. I also saw what the scouts have always said about Chris Carter at 1B. He did not look good out there. Somehow he stole a base during the game though.

I got to see Mr. Finch and Choate blow the lead just like they would've in the big leagues. Tony Pena looked pretty good though. Bill Murphy does seem like a ML pitcher at this point. If I had to guess I'd say he didn't throw a pitch above 90 all night. He went too deep into accounts (couldn't put people away) and walked a few guys.
hitter he is.
You caught Stephen Drew in his worst game of the year defensively and possibly his worst game ever from what I hear. I have seen ever home game for the Sidewinders this year and he is flat out solid in the field. He has gotten to balls that no D-back shortstop ever has gotten to and has shown great range with his arm from deep in the hole. He also is usually good at throwing with his momentum carrying him the other way even though he didn't show it last night. At the plate he is good too. He may have been 1-for-5 last night but on Saturday with Josh Byrnes in the stands he went 4-for-5 and looked great. He has a decent eye for the zone and has power when he needs it. Callaspo is good at third but even better at second and overall has been impressive from the plate. He is going to be a good leadoff hitter.
Young has amazing range in center and amazing speed. Batting wise he is good but has a tendency to strike out especially as of late. He has to be in the plans for the Diamondbacks.
Chris Carter struggles defensively at first at times but he has a great bat. He was just named PCL Batter of the week and had a three homerun game during this past week. He also has the ability to hit the ball to the opposite field when the defense gives it to him and he has had some big hits.
Daigle has looked bad since coming back to Tucson from the bigs.
Choate has been unbeieveable this year and last night was one of only a hand full of bad games for him. He is 3-0 with a 2.45 ERA he has only given up 9 earned runs in 32 games and has struck out 29 while walking only 6. If you take out a few bad games against Fresno he has a sub 2 ERA.
Overall this club is playing great baseball and the bats are really starting to catch fire.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hairston, Quentin homer in victory
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.13.2006
Scott Hairston and Carlos Quentin each had a two-run homer, Mike Schultz recorded the final six outs for his first save, and the Sidewinders won their ninth straight game, 4-3 over the host Portland Beavers on Monday night.
The Sidewinders maintained their 3 1/2-game lead over Las Vegas in the Pacific Coast League Southern Division.
Hairston hit a two-run homer to left in the fourth. It was his 16th of the year and gave him 49 RBIs for the season.
Quentin hit his two-run homer in the fifth to push the lead to 4-0.
The Beavers scored a run in the fifth on a two-out double from Justin Leone off Tucson starter Dustin Nippert. Nippert (8-1) worked 5 1/2innings and allowed eight hits and three earned runs. He walked three and struck out a season-high eight batters.
Adam Bass (2-0, 3.09) will start for Tucson tonight against Portland's Jack Cassel (2-3, 6.08).

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Espo said:
You caught Stephen Drew in his worst game of the year defensively and possibly his worst game ever from what I hear. I have seen ever home game for the Sidewinders this year and he is flat out solid in the field. He has gotten to balls that no D-back shortstop ever has gotten to and has shown great range with his arm from deep in the hole.
Drew was definitely having a bad day, but I still don't think he's going to be winning any gold gloves. In fairness, his two throwing errors were bang bang plays and he was throwing to Chris Carter.

-------------------------------------
In other news, with Enrique up in the big leagues, there have been a couple of promotions
Micah Owings to AAA
Greg Smith to AA
Eduardo Baeza to Hi-A

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Carter now has 37 walks compared to 31 strikeouts for AAA Tucson, pretty impressive. Is there anybody in Tucson able to watch this guy, I am wondering if his defense (his biggest knock) is improving?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson