15 thoughts - Rams game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I am not giving up on the Kyler Murray-Kliff Kingsbury tandem.

2 – I don’t understand why Kylie Fitts get more playing time than Dennis Gardeck on defense. Yes, as I have been a Gardeck-fan from the time he got on the team, I might be a bit subjective, but it is a completely objective point that Gardeck is more productive than Fitts.

3 – Did you see the new edition of Flightplan during the week? What stroke me the most was how quiet it was in the few stadiums that were in the episode. You don’t sense that on the broadcasts with the fake noise and from the announcers always “talking close to you.”

4 – Well, the first time the offensive line held up, Murray threw 40.2 air yards on a throw that ended going 59 yards for a touchdown. The longest touchdown the Rams have given up this season. In a horrible game, that matters to me.

5 – Interesting that you could see a marked improvement with the defensive line with Leki Fotu back (no, I did not confuse him with Domata Peko. I did look at the numbers).

6 – That’s it. Fire Zane Gonzalez. Enough is enough.

7 – It confuses me that I can see that the limited Jared Goff is always beating the Cards with rollouts, yet apparently no defensive coordinator can see it. Yes, I am aware that stopping it is easier said than done, but COME ON, MAN!

8 – Some say the season does not start before Thanksgiving. Oh boy, are the Cards screwed then?

9 – For the second game in a row Kingsbury showed really good clock management at the end of the first half.

10 – Have you noticed any pass rush from Devon Kennard during the season? No, me neither and then suddenly in the first half he looks like Chandler Jones (okay okay okay, but you get the point).

11 – I cringe every time I hear someone (like, for example, the announcers in this game) say “oh, the Cards are only a Hail Mary from having an 0-5 stretch” as if there was something wrong with that victory. I must inform everyone that a Hail Mary is part of a football game. It is an allowed play. You can score on it, just as it can be intercepted, go incomplete or result in a fumble if caught away from the end zone. It is a legal play, in other words, and the six points count equally as much as any other touchdown.

(They are also a few field goals and yards from having a very different record, but nothing can ruin arguments like facts, so no reason to bring it up anymore)

12 – I am not saying that Chris Banjo is suddenly All World, but it was easily his best game as a Cardinal.

13 – Byron Murphy certainly don’t miss many tackles, huh? Of course, having to make the tackle means you have let the receiver catch the ball in the first place, but still…

14 – Man, that was an embarrassing performance by D.J. Humphries. He must feel violated today.

15 – The entire season, the Rams had given up two touchdowns in the second half, and the Cards scored three.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My key beefs are:

Repeating the same mistakes game after game.

Not having answers for other teams' schemes and strategies.

That has everything to do with coaching (or lack thereof)

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Considering how horrible that first half went I thought this was going to be a 45-7 loss. A loss is a loss but at least they actually fought back a little.

Defense wore down in the 4th quarter and Goff didnt really do anything special. IDK what we have to do to get them to properly diagnose a screen.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean it is tougher on tackles when you continue to drop back in the pocket and ruin their blocking angles? Also when you roll right into the defender?

Crazy man.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yup & I’m not gonna blame Hump for looking foolish against one of the greatest defensive players of all time. No point.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You mean it is tougher on tackles when you continue to drop back in the pocket and ruin their blocking angles? Also when you roll right into the defender?

Crazy man.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yup & I’m not gonna blame Hump for looking foolish against one of the greatest defensive players of all time. No point.
Outside of getting destroyed that one play I'm not sure anyone said Hump was bad?

The strip sack fumble happened because the interior got whipped so easily.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not having answers for other teams' schemes and strategies.

Jeff, this point I absolutely agree with. I mean, these coaches are the best in the world, so of course they are more than capable of reading an opponent and trying to adjust, but I am still fully with you in that it just seems strange that they are seemingly having trouble with the same stuff each week.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
4 coverage error. Ramsey failed to switch and can be seen getting lectured by the coach. Any NFL QB could complete that throw.

8 that’s because by then every team has seen your primary sets. The successful coaches are the ones who can keep adjusting on the fly.

15 too little, too late.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler made Hump look bad more than anything.

DVontel, I think that is a good point, but I must say that it doesn’t really matter to me if a player plays very bad or very, very bad. Maybe Kyler Murray made Humphries go from embarrassing to worse than that, but I don’t think it is important.

By the way, I don’t mind when someone gets beat by the best defender on the planet. It is when pass rushers like Justin Hollins and Samson Ebukam (who? Yes, I know) repeatedly wins the matchup that I get worried.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jeff, this point I absolutely agree with. I mean, these coaches are the best in the world, so of course they are more than capable of reading an opponent and trying to adjust, but I am still fully with you in that it just seems strange that they are seemingly having trouble with the same stuff each week.

I think easier said than done. :)