Donald's Red/White Practice Report

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was nice to be back in Flag for camp; we skipped last year because of the newfan crowds. I used to work this camp when I was an NAU student (it's how I became a Cards fan), so it's always a fun time.

We camped out by Mormon Lake, combining a camping trip and training camp visit into a 24 hour period, and it worked awesome. I loved the rain, mostly fell while we were sleeping, and though I enjoy the outside practices more it was nice to sit in the dome.

There were a few players/things I wanted to focus on today, in no particular order:

Leinart
Beanie
The D-Line
LBs
Toler
O-Line
Attitude

I actually thought the practice was more laid back than most - not as physical as I was expecting based on reports and less intense than I've seen before. I think a lot of that was due to the weather, the indoors and having 10K people in the stands after signing autographs for an hour and a half. Felt "off" a bit to me until the very end.

The QB Battle or Operation Flagstaff Storm

I'll say first off, there is no real battle, just like US v. Iraq. However, the rope Matt has is going to be short. The two QBs are very different - Matt has better touch on his throws, while DA has enormous velocity on his. DA looked good today in the first run with the O, and not as good the second time around. He makes quick decisions, but doesn't adapt when the rush is on him. I don't see him making a strong push on Matt this year, but he's damn good enough to win games if Matt goes down and to push Matt to protect his job.

Matt's footwork is good, and he's making the right reads as well. However, he's taking too long (IMO) to make the decision and that is hurting him. He's also off the page thismuch with his WRs. For example, he overthrew Breaston on a sure TD on the sidelines (SB hesitated a bit, but it was still an overthrow). Then he had Fitz open for a TD, and instead of putting it on the outside shoulder, he put it on the inside (which leads Fitz into the coverage instead of away. Fitz was looking outside, turned back to find it inside and wasn't able to make the completion. PERFECT throw to the wrong spot.

I don't doubt the arm right now, I doubt the placement. On the DRC near pick, Matt threw behind instead of in front. Not much, but against DRC that's enough to get burned. His throws look good, his footwork looks good, and when the rush came, he was able to move and create opportunities. He even ran a two yard rollout for a TD called back on a holding call.

Are these the kind of things that camp is for - getting in line with your WRs? Or is this something deeper that won't be fixed?

Skelton is useless...threw balls at WRs feet during simple patterns against no coverage. Looked bad. Hall looked much better.

Grade: concerned, but not worried. Likely case, Matt will do ok. Good but not great...bad games and good ones.

Beanie, Baby

Timmy was fine, solid player and hardnosed. But he's not Beanie. First I was impressed at his physique. He looks lighter and faster...and it shows. He didn't really get many touches, but when he did they were productive. On one, the DL was already in the backfield (more on this later) and he threw a spin move one step after the hand off, upfield and a juke to the outside where he went down the line. Likely a scoring play in a real game with a stiffarm coming on a safety. It was an OOOOH from the crowd. Only downside in the run game was they got STONED 4 straight times at the goalline to finish practice. 3 by TH, one by BW at the end. Unfortunate...I wanted one of them to punch it in.

Howling looked good, hitting holes hard..but I saw the same in preseason last year and it never translated to the field. He's better out of the backfield catching passes and getting in open space, but in practice he hits the holes aggressively. We'll see if he can do it in a regular season game someday.

Grade: Cocky...these two are going to be a holy terror and LSH in the open field is scary good.

The WR corps

Fitz is a stud, no bones about it. He'll make any QB look good. However, Breaston didn't impress me with his play today to my suprise. He held up a bit on an overthrown ball that he should have been able to get to if he went all out, and dropped another pass. But he's done it at full speed in the regular season and I trust him.

The player that REALLY stood out to me today was #14, Williams from Toledo. The guy was smoooth out there today. Caught everything, including a tough TD and another tough catch in traffic, and ran really clean routes. I was impressed, and the second time I looked at my roster to see who number #14 was I realized it was the same guy, and he kept on making plays. I hope he makes the team...there's something special about him, and an UDFA that runs routes already that well, with THAT size and good hands...well, playing with Fitz can only make him better. 4WR might be his.

I didn't even notice Andre Roberts, and that's not a good thing because I was kind of looking for him out there. I did notice Gant, who was having a pretty nice day.

Grade: Confident. This is a good and deep group.

The Elephant(s) in the Room

I understand, it takes a while to gel as an OL. That you get better with time. That Keith hasn't started a game yet. Levi switched. Wells switched. Faneca is new to the mix. I get it. I even know that our DL is easily one of the top 10, maybe top 5 in the NFL, so it makes it that much harder. I expect some growing pains and some issues.

I don't expect you to let the defense in to the QB without so much as an "excuse me." The offensive line play is atrocious, which is surprising to me because from a pure talent perspective, this is a good bunch. But over and over again, the D was at the QB, sometimes two or three at a time. On one of them, DA had to be happy it was the Red/White practice and not the Texans, because he had both ends meeting him on both sides. That would have been sayonara, season in a real game, or a preseason game even.

Beanie had to spin to avoid pressure just after handoff, 5 yards deep. That simply can't happen. The pressure came from every angle, so nobody gets an attaboy from me. They better get on the same page fast, because if they don't it won't matter who starts at QB...it will matter who we'll call from the practice squad to QB us in week 8.

Grade: More terrified than a 5 year old watching Nightmare on Elm Street while sitting at home alone in the dark

The Other Side

DRC is lockdown, fast and an elite corner and showed it by toying with Matt and almost picking off a "just a bit outside" ball that most corners wouldn't have gotten. You can't take chances around DRC. Nobody is going to throw his way much...but.......

....the other side will be picked on non-stop, all day and without mercy. Toler is set to take on that role. I am afraid, but he had a VERY solid day today. Tipped a pass for a pick, ran with Fitz and fought him for a jump ball in the endzone that he knocked down, broke up a PERFECTLY thrown ball to Fitz with a spectacular play to get his hand in there, one that made the crowd go ooooh! uuuhhhAAAAHHH...then applaud both the throw and the defensive play. It was a very good outing for him and it might get him running in the first team spot we all know he'll have at the end of camp.

Grade: Cautiously optimistic, I think?

Thank you Rolle, but we have another.

Rhodes is a superior safety to Rolle. Rolle is a much better guy with the ball in his hands. Since a safety spends 97% of his time keeping the ball away from his guy, I'm happy with the decision, and I was a fan of Rolle's.

AW is the same...his wallet still says BMF.

Grade: Improved

The second line of defense

I wasn't expecting a lot out of the LB crew, and they beat my expectations. Still a weak spot, but the DL should help cover. The loss of Dansby will be felt, but the addition of Porter helps bring more swagger. You can see them playing with more fire out there, and that's 9-0 and 55 getting a mentality going.

Washington is ridiculously fluid, but not quite ready, still a bit raw and out of position from time to time. Learning the speed of the game. He moves extremely well, and in cone/shuttle type drills you can really see how agile he is. He will be starting next year for sure, and if he's brought along like DRC was, perhaps the end of this season...but yeah, he's solid.

Baggs was another guy who made plays and I looked down to see who he was more than once. Not sure about his chances of making the roster, but he brings it for sure.

None of the other LBs really stood out to me...but they also didn't get beat badly. Seem to be a competent but not excellent group.

Grade: Cautiously..uhm..cautious. Mediocre on talent, A+ on tenacity and effort. Sadly, the last two work better in conjunction with better talent. We'll see.

My Line can Beat up Your Line

OMG. They better take some lawyers on the road with them because our Dline might get arrested for assaulting QBs.

9-0 is unblockable with one man. He is a terror, all over the place and has seemed to have rewired his already overachieving engine. One play in the line on line drills, he bowled through the interior, shredded both the guys trying to contain him (read, holding) and was then pulled down from behind horse collar style. Yep, that's how you will have to deal with this freaking monster, San Fran. Good luck.

CC is nearly as untameable...and is learning how to work off Dockett well. I was trying to watch both of them but it's so hard to take your eye off either of them when they are at work...they are good.

And in the 11 on 11s, the entire DLine, starters, second unit, third...all of them, absolutely DESTROYED the offensive lines. They just ruined them over and over. 3 guys in the backfield. Getting there at the point of handoffs. Didn't matter, they were getting ridiculous pressure. I can't wait to see this unleashed on enemy teams, because if they are truly as good as they appear it is going to take A TON of pressure off of the LBs and Toler. And that is needed.

Grade: Are you kidding? :notworthy:

The Guys Who Put the Foot into Football

Howling keeps his return job, but I was hoping to see Roberts do something. They had Justin Miller fielding some kicks, and he was terrible. After bobbling the first one for what seemed like hours (should have had Benny Hill music), he then caught some and proceeded to run as fast as a snail straight at guys. Ok, maybe not that bad, but it seemed a waste to even have him back there. He isn't going to have that job.

Feely was nailing a few from 55 yards out, from 4 feet inside the sidelines. Pretty nifty, with that ridiculous angle on it. Crowd dug that.

Grade: Incomplete. Not much focus here.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Great summary Donald. I REALLY hope 9-0 and gang carry all of this incredible passion and intensity into the regular season. Don't want them to blow their you know what's up in Flag! :D

The o-line is deeply concerning, particulary with Matt back there as, unlike a future HOFer in Warner, Leinart is not nearly as capable of overcoming a horrendous line. Sure, he might be a tad more mobile, but it seems his chances for getting hit are pretty darn good. Just not sure how he'll hold up - he doesn't have nearly the quick release that Kurt had...

RB's situation is so damn exciting! Go figure, we actually enter a season - o-line issues notwithstanding, looking like a real legit NFL team with our RB and d-line promise!!

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The o-line is deeply concerning, particulary with Matt back there as, unlike a future HOFer in Warner, Leinart is not nearly as capable of overcoming a horrendous line. Sure, he might be a tad more mobile, but it seems his chances for getting hit are pretty darn good. Just not sure how he'll hold up - he doesn't have nearly the quick release that Kurt had...

By far my largest concerns with Matt have been in the injury department...shoulder/collarbone doesn't take well to having your Oline merely act as chaperones for defensive lineman and blitzing linebackers.

It's a big, big fear. I was shocked at how easy the defense was getting through, and as good as they are, that isn't just a tip of the hat to the DL.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
By far my largest concerns with Matt have been in the injury department...shoulder/collarbone doesn't take well to having your Oline merely act as chaperones for defensive lineman and blitzing linebackers.

It's a big, big fear. I was shocked at how easy the defense was getting through, and as good as they are, that isn't just a tip of the hat to the DL.

Yup... don't get me wrong, our d-line (as you stated) has a chance to be top 10, if not top 5. But of course, they stll have to prove that. No excuse for the o-line to be performing this poorly. You stated all of the canned excuses. And they do have merit - to a point. At some point, as Russ Grimm stated so eloquently today in Canton, you got to want to move a guy from Point A to Point B, against his will... Who really has that desire for us? Duece? Levi? Keith? Wells? Faneca?? Who?? Because whoever he/they is/are, they have yet to step up and show it...
Matty better get used to the taste of turf... Ugghhhh....

seesred

Reaction score
Thanks for the report. It gavew me a chance to almost be there. I hope Matt can get it done. I'm a fan. ANot really worried yet om the O-line, just to much talent. We need Toler to keep the learning curve going quickly.

GBR

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Donald - good job!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald.. Im not sure how to tell you this but your grades arent grades.. They are more like your analysis/thoughts/opinions...

:D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Stuff D!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get an F in letter grading. :)

Ehh, while Gee's comment is techically correct, ignore it. It was a great write up and consistent with what I saw in camp.

- Leinart not looking spectacular - check
- Backup QBs even more questionable - check
- RB's looking fantastic - check
- Dockett being a total monster on D - check

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D, this is exactly what I needed. I was just lamenting to a friend that I was grossly uninformed with regards to the boys this preseason. You've helped tremendously. Thank you sir! BTW. See you and A Halloween against the Bucs. It's on brah!

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
How are Levi Brown and Brandon Keith looking as individuals?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up!
How did Dan Williams look?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D, this is exactly what I needed. I was just lamenting to a friend that I was grossly uninformed with regards to the boys this preseason. You've helped tremendously. Thank you sir! BTW. See you and A Halloween against the Bucs. It's on brah!

Hang out a little more often and you would be informed. :mulli:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good stuff Donald. A week from today we will have just a tad better understanding of what this team is going to be...

Sounds like Grimm will need to crack the whip once he is back from Canton. I knew it would take this Oline some time to jell in changing 4 of its 5 parts.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Donald, what I liked most about your report is that you didn't have an agenda that wanted to fit the report to suit your "beliefs". You seemed to report what you saw, and what you saw was some good, some bad stuff. I (we) now have a better idea of what to expect next weekend.

P.S. Did the Defense do a lot of blitzing?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice job, Donald!

Most of what you saw seems to corroborate what others are saying; plus one additional comment of genuine interest & value -your being "terrified" about the play of the O-line.

When it comes to unit performance and cohesion I tend to be a wait & see guy. (These things often have a way of working themselves out). But, if things don't straighten themselves out, there inevitably will come a point in the process when the team has to sit up & take notice to avoid the possibility of waking up only to find itself dead. Raise the red flag gently.

Regarding Toler (& the difficult-to-avoid comparison with DRC). DRC showed up here with unreal athletic, playmaking potential but raw as rain. He started out a bit slowly but there came a point where his development suddenly accelerated quickly.

I'm hoping the same thing will happen with Toler - that, at some point earlier rather than later, the holes in his game will start to fill in rapidly and we'll have 2 shutdown starting corners.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good stuff Donald. A week from today we will have just a tad better understanding of what this team is going to be...

Remember how bad we were last preseason though? 0-4. In particular Warner was below average(at best) no TDs 3 INTs. 1 first team TD at the end of the first half of the 3rd preseason game and that was it. I wasn't feeling really optimistic but we still managed 10 wins and a playof win.

I'd like to see a good preseason but after last season I am not going to believe a bad preseason is necessarily a precursor of things to come.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember how bad we were last preseason though? 0-4. In particular Warner was below average(at best) no TDs 3 INTs. 1 first team TD at the end of the first half of the 3rd preseason game and that was it. I wasn't feeling really optimistic but we still managed 10 wins and a playof win.

I'd like to see a good preseason but after last season I am not going to believe a bad preseason is necessarily a precursor of things to come.

Good point. I tend to ride the emotional wave with these reports. I will probably do the same with the preseason game results. It is natural for a fan but all the years of watching football should have taught me preseason means very little.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard