Does UofA have a shot at Shabazz Muhammad?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/21/shabazz-muhammad-nba-draft/

Arizona wasn’t even in the mix a few months back, but appears to have made great strides with Muhammad by virtue of a recruiting class that includes Kaleb Tarczewski, Grant Jerrett and Brandon Ashley.

“Arizona has a great freshman class coming in,” Muhammad said. “Their freshman class is probably the top in the country right now. They’re also a high tempo style of play, which is great.”

What do you guys think? Do we have a legitimate shot? Duke, Kentucky, and UNLV for some reason is also in the mix.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Getting four of the top nine players in the country? That is usually when I quit my season to up the difficulty a couple of notches. I'm pretty sure that class would be just too awesome to not destroy the universe and for that reason, I'm not completely sure I want it to happen.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Depends on how much Miller wants Amadeo Della Valle, the PG from Findlay Prep who considered an UA lean because of all the Findlay alum on the roster.

I doubt Miller would take 6 (not enough schollies), tough choice for Miller but nice to have this kind of problem.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Depends on how much Miller wants Amadeo Della Valle, the PG from Findlay Prep who considered an UA lean because of all the Findlay alum on the roster.

I doubt Miller would take 6 (not enough schollies), tough choice for Miller but nice to have this kind of problem.

Umm you don't forgo the #1 player in the nation for anyone. They'll make room for Shabazz if he wants to come - that I guarantee.

Interestingly that class would be higher rated then the Fab 5 and also could be a sick lineup (York at PG, Shabazz at 2, Jerritt at SF, Ashley at PF, and Tarc at C)

Would shock me if Shabazz came but would help numb what's been a disappointing season so far.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UNLV is the local school, and his HS coach is the brother of UNLV's coach.

His mom lives in Long Beach which is why UCLA has been the longtime favorite but their bad season and Howland's job situation now makes that less likely.

UK is the school it seems Shabazz himself likes but I've been told by people that have directly spoken to the dad that the dad is VERY concerned UK might be on probation when his son gets there(Bilal Batley story plus Anthony Davis rumors).

Duke certainly possible.

This kid says nice things about every school he's asked about we will not know where he's going until he says.

I will say this, he's a 3, and he's closer to a 4 than a 2 at this time in his career. Not a great outside shot, not a great ball handler, no right hand. But he's unstoppable in the midrange he's really good in the post and on the break and finishes well. I actually think Kyle Anderson will make a bigger college impact because I think Shabazz is too dependent on getting to the rim and will have to develop his shot a bit in college.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Umm you don't forgo the #1 player in the nation for anyone. They'll make room for Shabazz if he wants to come - that I guarantee.

Interestingly that class would be higher rated then the Fab 5 and also could be a sick lineup (York at PG, Shabazz at 2, Jerritt at SF, Ashley at PF, and Tarc at C)

Would shock me if Shabazz came but would help numb what's been a disappointing season so far.

I highly doubt that if Dalle calls Miller ready to commit, that Sean will say "Gee I am kinda of waiting on Shabazz to make up his mind first". Miller gives him the schollie, like in the Lute days I feel whomever commits first gets the schollie. Again unless UA is willing to sign 6.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
UNLV is the local school, and his HS coach is the brother of UNLV's coach.

His mom lives in Long Beach which is why UCLA has been the longtime favorite but their bad season and Howland's job situation now makes that less likely.

UK is the school it seems Shabazz himself likes but I've been told by people that have directly spoken to the dad that the dad is VERY concerned UK might be on probation when his son gets there(Bilal Batley story plus Anthony Davis rumors).

Duke certainly possible.

This kid says nice things about every school he's asked about we will not know where he's going until he says.

I will say this, he's a 3, and he's closer to a 4 than a 2 at this time in his career. Not a great outside shot, not a great ball handler, no right hand. But he's unstoppable in the midrange he's really good in the post and on the break and finishes well. I actually think Kyle Anderson will make a bigger college impact because I think Shabazz is too dependent on getting to the rim and will have to develop his shot a bit in college.

Are you referring to the $200K UK allegedly paid Davis' father? Because I thought that was over the summer and the investigation halted.

Davis is definitely gone after this year so he has nothing to worry about, if UK gets hit serves them right. No sentiment for the school whose fan base is so righteous and feels everyone is unfairly targeting the school because of their success with recruiting. Cal is priming them for a fall and he will pull a Carroll and bolt for the NBA.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the $200K UK allegedly paid Davis' father? Because I thought that was over the summer and the investigation halted.

Davis is definitely gone after this year so he has nothing to worry about, if UK gets hit serves them right. No sentiment for the school whose fan base is so righteous and feels everyone is unfairly targeting the school because of their success with recruiting. Cal is priming them for a fall and he will pull a Carroll and bolt for the NBA.

No there was a story about 4-5 weeks ago where one of the national college writers(forget which one not an ESPN guy) went on live radio and said he had an article on recruiting that would come out eventually that was going to shake up college basketball. He hinted that one of the key parts of his story was Davis and UK. It might have been parrish but I can't remember and obviously there has been no story yet. On radio he said it was in the works but it had to get past his employers legal department too.

if I were a UK fan Batley is the one to worry about that story Goodman did absolutely nails them, multiple kids saying Batley called them to recruit them when he wasn't allowed to(he wasn't an assistant coach) both at UK and before at Memphis.

If the NCAA gets confirmation from any of those kids it's a violation and with the number of kids involved it's a MAJOR one if it's true.

UK fired Batley as soon as they found out Goodman was talking to people about him they invented a story about him rebounding for a kid on a recruiting trip and suspending him for a minor violation and then he stepped down.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PGU is reporting that Shabazz will be at the whiteout game against Washington. If there is any way to impress the kid, this is the weekend with Gameday on campus and the whiteout game.

OP
OP
carey

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
PGU is reporting that Shabazz will be at the whiteout game against Washington. If there is any way to impress the kid, this is the weekend with Gameday on campus and the whiteout game.

I'm guessing we didn't impress too much. What a brutal loss. I don't even see us making the tourney this year. Hopefully, next year's recruiting class is all they say it is.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm guessing we didn't impress too much. What a brutal loss. I don't even see us making the tourney this year. Hopefully, next year's recruiting class is all they say it is.

He never showed up. As for making an impression on the recruits, the fans get an A yesterday. The guys at ESPN said there were more students who showed up for Gameday yesterday than in the last two weeks combined. The whiteout once again looked great.

As for the game, even though they lost, I was not mad. They came back and almost won but they just don't have the guys up front to compete with bigger teams. Next year should be a different story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard