Does Anika make the cut in the Colonial?

OP
OP
CardNots

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LPGA stands for Ladies Professional Golfers Association. Unless some of the men are willing to undergo radical surgery in order to play in LPGA tourneys, they really don't fit the bill.

According to my source, the LPGA rules states you must be born a female to compete in the LPGA tour. Sorry, surgery will not cut it... Excuse the pun...

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardNots
According to my source, the LPGA rules states you must be born a female to compete in the LPGA tour. Sorry, surgery will not cut it... Excuse the pun...

Then isn't that discrimination? Maybe the men should get Martha Burke to represent them in this one....since after all, she is all about equality.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Card Trader

If a woman is going to come in and take a mans spot on the tour or tournament then a man has ever right to do whatever it takes to make a dollar, if that means going the other way to the womens tour so be it.

She is not taking a regular tour golfers spot. The sponser's exemptions are typically used for Celebs, local pros, local amateurs, etc.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11

It's about a golf tournament pulling off a PR stunt. The extrapolation you're making is rediculous.

You are absolutely right....however, this woman accepting this "PR stunt" could be costing a golfer his tour card.

This coulda been Joe Blow's 1 shot, his last shot......pretty poopy for a wealthy female golfer who could be out playing in one of her own tourneys, to deprive Joe Blow from what might be his only shot is pretty selfish.

She isn't gonna stay on the tour, so whats the fricken point? Why come to one tournament and most likely embrass yourself and take that spot from someone that works week in and week out to obtain it? Why?

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
She is not taking a regular tour golfers spot. The sponser's exemptions are typically used for Celebs, local pros, local amateurs, etc.

No, sponsor exemptions are for card carrying professional golfers and or ams...not Celebs.

My understanding at least.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by brews
The issue that the other golfers have is that she circumvented the normal route to get into the tournament. If she really wanted to "deserve the chance" she would have gone to the Monday qualifiers, just like all the others who weren't qualified to play based on their past play.

Question: How did Tiger Woods earn his Tour Card?

A) Played the Nike Tour, finished top-ten.
B) Went to Q-School.
C) Made enough money playing tournaments using Sponser's Exemptions (the same one Annika is getting).

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, sponsor exemptions are for card carrying professional golfers and or ams...not Celebs.

Nope - that is WRONG

There are NO restrictions on sponser's exemptions.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Why is this her problem? Why isn't anyone villifying the Colonial?

She isn't taking anyone's spot.
She isn't taking anything from anyone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

No, this is wrong. That cart guy wasn't a "card-carrying professional", but was offered a ton of "sponsor's exemptions" to play anywhere he wanted on the tour.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Question: How did Tiger Woods earn his Tour Card?

A) Played the Nike Tour, finished top-ten.
B) Went to Q-School.
C) Made enough money playing tournaments using Sponser's Exemptions (the same one Annika is getting).

He won the amateur championship which gets you an automatic card.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
He won the amateur championship which gets you an automatic card.

WRONG

Sorry, try again - winning the amateur championship gets you an invite to the US Open and Masters, not a tour card.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
I think if Anika were to golf in The Colonial topless, we wouldn't mind...

But wouldn't her boobs get in the way?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WRONG

Sorry, try again - winning the amateur championship gets you an invite to the US Open and Masters, not a tour card.

.....I KNOW he had his card before he even played in a tournament.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Haha, "proving folks wrong" seems to be making Dback Jon's day.... ;)

However, this still doesn't show how Annika is NOT taking a sponsor exemption spot from someone who busts ass to get into one of these tourneys?

Sure, she isn't ALL at fault, but she sure didn't turn down the offer because it would be the right thing to do since she didn't qualify, nor has she ever ATTEMPTED to qualify.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
.....I KNOW he had his card before he even played in a tournament.

Nope.

After winning the US Amateur, Tiger asked for and recieved Sponser's Exemptions to a few tournaments. He played in enough, all using sponser's exemptions, until he finished in the top 125 of the PGA Tour in winnings.

He did not have a tour card until the following year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, "proving folks wrong" seems to be making Dback Jon's day.... ;)

However, this still doesn't show how Annika is NOT taking a sponsor exemption spot from someone who busts ass to get into one of these tourneys?

Sure, she isn't ALL at fault, but she sure didn't turn down the offer because it would be the right thing to do since she didn't qualify, nor has she ever ATTEMPTED to qualify.

Sometimes - just when people make false arguments :)

Only the Colonial knows who would have been the 5th exemption had Annika not accepted - probably Ross Perot or Jerry Jones...:)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nope.

After winning the US Amateur, Tiger asked for and recieved Sponser's Exemptions to a few tournaments. He played in enough, all using sponser's exemptions, until he finished in the top 125 of the PGA Tour in winnings.

He did not have a tour card until the following year.

What does this prove?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
OK...things ARE slow. My poll got deleted. :D I'm bored. I see common sense again doesn't seem too common. S000oooo......I'll throw my 2 cents in:

First of all, to those who have suggested men playing in women's events....as fairness or fair retribution...or whatever....
Are you for real?

That's scary, if serious.

Please don't tell me you also base your take and opinion on "God's word".

Now, I must admit that I do think there are some sports that women should not seriously consider being involved in. Yes, we all possess the same hormones, just to greater or lesser degrees. But the simple fact is there ARE fundamental physical differences between men and women. I enjoy those differences. It is my belief that the "Way" is for all to celebrate that. We have our similarities...celebrate those as well. We all are human.
To me the epitome of Womanhood....is just that. Being the ultimate "Woman".
I don't want to see a woman who has to justify her self worth by excelling in Male traits. Just as I don't want to see a man who has to justify his self worth trying to act like a female.
Sure I would always prefer to look at a pysically fit person rather than a fat slob regardless of sex.
But a Woman who can show me an arm flex with granite biceps, etc, etc, is a freak to me.
I don't care what sex you are....be a first rate YOU, not a second rate someone else.
If a woman want to try to do something as a human. Fine. Any one should have the right to do or be anything they want (as long as it does not harm others) no matter how ignorant or stupid it may be.
But neither do I think that justifies condoning some things on a major scale.
I personally (and I certainly don't seem alone on this) don't care much for women's basketball. Not only does the general lack of physical talent not excite me, I also get turned off by the fact that so many of the women in, of, and around the sport are dykes.
And I'm not just talking about the masuline traits displayed necessary for success at the game...but dykes - not in the homosexual physical sphere- but the mental...."I hate men" catagory and yet try and act like them as their "replacements".

Again, personally I think Annika hasn't sacrificed any of her femininity to excel in her sport. She IS good at what she does. Very Good. So what if a few "rules" get bent for her to play in the Colonial? She's earned it. Can she compete with men?
Can her finesse over come her lack of pure physical strength?
The odds say probably no. Maybe some moderate success at best. but neither do I think she will make a fool out of herself by trying...and for that....we all should always have the right.

What's really the big deal?

Why does her participating under the circumstances she is become such an issue in the first place?

.....I say because common sense is not indeed too common.
And to use that as a justification for men competing in women's sport is just plain ignorant.

...so now I have come full circle. Just like the topic....a bunch of dizzying circles.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
What does this prove?

It was originally in response to this post by Brews:

Originally posted by brews
The issue that the other golfers have is that she circumvented the normal route to get into the tournament. If she really wanted to "deserve the chance" she would have gone to the Monday qualifiers, just like all the others who weren't qualified to play based on their past play.

To show that other golfers use the same route to get into tournaments. I used the Tiger example because he is the best player in the world, but he never went to a Monday qualifer, etc.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
When was Sorrenstam ever complaining about discrimination?
She was invited, she accepted.
Why don't people have anything out against the Colonial Itself for this? It's the Colonial's publicity stunt, not Sorrenstam's.

Vijay needs to stop cheating on his scorecards.

I don't think she ever did. The outrage over Vijay Singh's comments invariably get women coming out and saying it's unfair to not allow women on the PGA tour, which is why I was complaining.

This morning on KGO tv in the bay area the sports guy brought up the hubbub and Elizabeth Bermudez, co-anchor, said "I don't get it men can't play on the women's tour why are women complaining about discrimination?" You could see the look of relief on the guys' face that he wasn't going to have to argue with her.

Not only is she a hottie she shares my views (-:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/aboutus/bios_elizabeth_bermudez.html

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jersey Girl Cards Fan
Russ, the reason a lot of women's leagues started in the first place is because women weren't allowed to play in the men's leagues. So, saying that the LPGA is discriminating against men is kinda weird since the LPGA formed out of discrimation against women.

If she makes it, people will follow her every move. That can't be fun ... unless you're a narcissist.

I'm not sure that's true I have never checked but I seriously doubt the PGA has a rule against women. A lot of the clubs they played tournaments at probably did(just as they barred blacks) and I certainly don't agree with that.

however the point still stands, if I were a borderline PGA player unable to make the tour, I would not be allowed to just join the LPGA, for one reason, I'm a man.

brews

Rookie
Reaction score
It was originally in response to this post by Brews:

To show that other golfers use the same route to get into tournaments. I used the Tiger example because he is the best player in the world, but he never went to a Monday qualifer, etc.

Yes, but he was an established PGA player the minute he made his first step on the Tour. He followed a generally accepted procedure for getting onto a Tour event, not some cheap stunt.

We'll find out in a few days, when she doesn't make the cut, that she didn't deserve to be out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard