Does Anika make the cut in the Colonial?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, I know this is a football forum. Since things are a bit quiet, I thought this wouldn't hurt.

I think she makes the cut...

PGA stands for Professional Golf Association, not men's only league. If she measures up to the best golfers in the world let here play. Her accomplishments in the LPGA warrants a try.

The TV ratings will be off the charts...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardNots
Yes, I know this is a football forum. Since things are a bit quiet, I thought this wouldn't hurt.

I think she makes the cut...

PGA stands for Professional Golf Association, not men's only league. If she measures up to the best golfers in the world let here play. Her accomplishments in the LPGA warrants a try.

The TV ratings will be off the charts...

i hope she does but for a different reason. LPGA stands for Ladies Professional Golf Association, if they can exclude men I don't see why they are complaining about no ladies in the PGA? I hope she makes the cut so that one of the men on the tour who misses the cut because of her points out the hypocrisy.

I have absolutely nothing against womens sports but when they complain about discrimination they need to make sure they're not talking out their butts and in this case they are because THEIR association forbids men.

Don't even get me started about the WNBA, losing money for years but they went out of their way to use the leverage of the NBA to force the ABL into bankruptcy. The ABL was the better league(paid its players better, had better support, had a better concept of the league structure) but because the WNBA is financially supported by the NBA, they pressured advertisers and networks into avoiding the ABL and bankrupted the league. I have to laugh when I hear people like Cheryl Swoopes and Lisa Leslie talk about opportunities for women when they were so closely involved in forcing the ABL out of business. Most of the players from that league are now in the WNBA of course and they make less money and for the most part still aren't getting endorsments if they aren't Lisa Leslie or one of the bigger name players. In the ABL they were in essence employees with a stake in the league they had a much better deal.

cardsfan473

In memory of a REAL Hero
Reaction score
as long as she has to play from the same tees, and uses the same compression golf ball as the others, then I have no problem with it. I think she deserves the chance.

I think some of these other golfers are worried she'll kick their butts. That is why they are so opposed to it...

I agree, it will make for some interesting ratings....

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
IF she makes the cut, it will have been a success for Anika.

Poor thing is bored. No competition on her tour. I really don't have a problem with this publicity stunt. That's all this is.

She has NO CHANCE to be competitive on the PGA Tour. There are 50 PGA Tour professional golfers that would give their left nut for the exemption Anika is wasting.

I look for her to somehow get "injured" if she's way behind early.

She played a round with Tiger, from the back tee's recently. Tiger beat her by 10 strokes, so if the trend continued...she'd lose by 40 strokes.

I'd rather see the best female golfer in the world try to improve her own tour, rather than be a publicity stunt.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Not sure if she'll make the cut, but I hope she does. Gonna be a lotta pressure on her.

I hope she not only makes the cut, but finishes ahead of Vijay Singh. Then she can wave her scorecard in his idiotic face.

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score
Anika will play well.....
I don't buy that she doesn't have competition in the LPGA, she doesn't win them all.
Is she the best or WAS she the best last year????
Exemptions can be given to anyone, there is no harm until she makes the cut, then a guy might complain, but I doubt it, he should have played better!
IMHO, It's about publicity and raising the pay checks of the ladies and getting more fans to watch them play.
I personally would rather watch them play, they don't hit 7 irons 185 yards, and they are easier on the eyes. (some not all)

I think the lady that qualified from the ladies tees, will be embarrassed, unless she is a great fairway woods and long iron player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZ1766
Anika will play well.....
I don't buy that she doesn't have competition in the LPGA, she doesn't win them all.
Is she the best or WAS she the best last year????
Exemptions can be given to anyone, there is no harm until she makes the cut, then a guy might complain, but I doubt it, he should have played better!
IMHO, It's about publicity and raising the pay checks of the ladies and getting more fans to watch them play.
I personally would rather watch them play, they don't hit 7 irons 185 yards, and they are easier on the eyes. (some not all)

I think the lady that qualified from the ladies tees, will be embarrassed, unless she is a great fairway woods and long iron player.

Just to clarify my earlier comments, I hate mens tennis and love women's tennis. Since the disappearance of wood rackets mens tennis is serve , return, volley, point. The points are so quick there's almost no strategy and it's boring. I'll watch Serena Williams play any woman in the world, I have very little interest in mens tennis now the speed from the rackets has ruined the game for me.

I just don't think it's fair for the LPGA to exclude men and then have women golfers complain about discrimination.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here is my crappy comment for the day.

I hate the idea of women crossing over into men's sports. They have their own league, why do they need to cross over? I hope she gets slaughtered, doesn't make the cut and we can stop all this non sense, Vijay Singh was correct in his comments.

okay thanks.....

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
When was Sorrenstam ever complaining about discrimination?
She was invited, she accepted.
Why don't people have anything out against the Colonial Itself for this? It's the Colonial's publicity stunt, not Sorrenstam's.

Vijay needs to stop cheating on his scorecards.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11

She was invited, she accepted.

She propositioned to get the "invite". I think they should change the PGA to the MPGA. Also, I'd love to see those guys who barely make the field each week by exemption or qualifying go into the womens tour now and dominate. It's only fair.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Card Trader
She propositioned to get the "invite". I think they should change the PGA to the MPGA. Also, I'd love to see those guys who barely make the field each week by exemption or qualifying go into the womens tour now and dominate. It's only fair.

Excellent post, I agree 100%

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I don't think that she could make the cut consistantly on the Nike Tour, much less the PGA, but I also won't root against her either.

So long as she plays from the men's tee's, I don't have a problem with her participating in this tournament under special exemption. Palmer and Nicholas played in numerous tournaments via special expemtions during the twilight of their careers. And like both Arnie and Jack, she won't finish last and she won't get to play on Saturday either.

Besides, who really cares about the Colonial anyway? It's not like it's a major event.

In a way, you could say that Anika is lot like an undefeated BYU football team. Both are far and away the best in thier respectives leagues, but neither deserve the BCS Bowl bid either.

brews

Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by cardsfan473
as long as she has to play from the same tees, and uses the same compression golf ball as the others, then I have no problem with it. I think she deserves the chance.

I think some of these other golfers are worried she'll kick their butts. That is why they are so opposed to it...

The issue that the other golfers have is that she circumvented the normal route to get into the tournament. If she really wanted to "deserve the chance" she would have gone to the Monday qualifiers, just like all the others who weren't qualified to play based on their past play.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I'd love to see those guys who barely make the field each week by exemption or qualifying go into the womens tour now and dominate. It's only fair.

Yeah, that'd show 'em.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, the reason a lot of women's leagues started in the first place is because women weren't allowed to play in the men's leagues. So, saying that the LPGA is discriminating against men is kinda weird since the LPGA formed out of discrimation against women.

If she makes it, people will follow her every move. That can't be fun ... unless you're a narcissist.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Yeah, that'd show 'em.

Ok, why not? What's the difference? If we're gonna cross compete why not expand it, tennis, hockey, basketball, soccer(just for you) and so on. If a guy can't hack it on the mens tour in any of those sports, just hop on over to the womens. And likewise if a woman feels she is just sooooo much better than her competition jump on up to the mens field. I mean, that is what this is all about right?

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Originally posted by brews
The issue that the other golfers have is that she circumvented the normal route to get into the tournament. If she really wanted to "deserve the chance" she would have gone to the Monday qualifiers, just like all the others who weren't qualified to play based on their past play.

Actually she got there the same way a bunch of other people who dont deserve there did thru a sponser exemption. Sponsers alot of times give exemptions to guys(mainly celebreties) who will then not make the final cut, this is the sponsers way of drawing more attention to thier product this increasing tv revenue and other sponsership oppurtinities. She is not taking anything away from any legitimate contender, all she took away from is the ability for a bob barker to get to play a couple of rounds of free golf.

Secondly my personal opinion is if she can make the cut let her play. The LPGA is an amature league for all intents and purposes and therefor if an amatuer male wants to go play on their tournment I think they should have every right to. But i do not think any professional golfer should have the right to play in the LPGA. On the other side I think the PGA really should be "the best of the best" regardless of age, sex, or race, based strictly on talent.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Actually he was dead on.

I do not think so. I think he sounded like a sexist, ignorant dolt. As long as she plays from the same tees, and under the same rules as the guys, I don't see the problem. I think Vijay is scared of getting beat.

The bottom line is PGA stand for Professional Golfers Association. Annika is a professional golfer. She fits the bill.

LPGA stands for Ladies Professional Golfers Association. Unless some of the men are willing to undergo radical surgery in order to play in LPGA tourneys, they really don't fit the bill.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ok, why not? What's the difference? If we're gonna cross compete why not expand it, tennis, hockey, basketball, soccer(just for you) and so on. If a guy can't hack it on the mens tour in any of those sports, just hop on over to the womens. And likewise if a woman feels she is just sooooo much better than her competition jump on up to the mens field. I mean, that is what this is all about right?

I guess there's no reason why you couldn't. but why would you want to?

These guys are competitors. They're athletes. Yes, they make their money playing golf, but they also thrive off the level of competition. Do you think someone like Phil Mickelson, who could finally get his major at the Nabisco Classic on the Women's Tour, would finally feel vindicated by that win? I doubt it. Even the "Bad" golfers on the PGA tour make good bank, and have a great time at what they're doing, and probably go into every tournament feeling like they have a legitimate shot at winning it (and, truthfully, they kind of do). That's where the pride comes into play.

Do you think that any guy that sues to get into the LPGA and then "dominates" the field for five years is going to go visit his friends at Augusta or the U.S. Open and get a bunch of high fives for "showin' 'em who's boss"? Please. They wouldn't be able to show their faces anywhere. They'd be a punchline.

Annika doesn't want to play in the PGA. She looked for a tournament that suited her skills best, and then said, "Well, if you want to give me an exemption to this tour stop, I'd go." She wants to get some exposure, and maybe make a statement about women's golf. All the middling players are trying to get some exposure for themselves, as well. What's the BFD here?

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob
I think Vijay is scared of getting beat.

You can't be serious? One of the top 5 golfers in the world WORRIED about a woman beating him? Cmon man.....he just thinks that it is a mens only tourney and that there are men that scrap and fight to qualify and or get a sponsors exemption to make the tourney so they can MAYBE do something special and make the cut and bring home a pay check to their families.

Maybe Joe Blow get's that 75th spot that Annika(sp?) is taking up and he makes the cut and get's a $12,000 check maybe that is the last bit he needed to be high enough on the money list to keep his card next year? Maybe his family won't have Ramen this weekend for dinner.

Annika goes in and makes the cut? No big deal, she is set money wise...she doesnt' NEED it.

If a woman is going to come in and take a mans spot on the tour or tournament then a man has ever right to do whatever it takes to make a dollar, if that means going the other way to the womens tour so be it.

It isn't a one way street folks, you can't do one thing and expect someone else not to follow suit. This is hypocracy in it's highest form.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
If a guy can't hack it on the mens tour in any of those sports, just hop on over to the womens. And likewise if a woman feels she is just sooooo much better than her competition jump on up to the mens field. I mean, that is what this is all about right?

If you're going to apply Occam's Razor to the situation, make sure you sharpen it a little.
It's about a golf tournament pulling off a PR stunt. The extrapolation you're making is rediculous.

I hope some hack guy golfer does try to get into a LPGA event. It'd be hilarious.