DJ not “special” anymore?

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This could explain why he's lowering his head & not doing as many jump cuts.

''Johnson has been implored by running backs coach Kirby Wilson to run more downhill and not bounce outside as much. The goal, Johnson said, is to turn 1-yard runs into 3-yard gains. While he did it more Sunday in Kansas City, it wasn't easy. One of Johnson's favorite moves is the jump-cut. Lowering his shoulder and bulldozing a defender isn't natural for him, he added. He'd prefer to create with cuts, moves and jukes.''

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-ca...is-is-the-david-johnson-weve-been-waiting-for
Yeah I read that and immediately thought of this thread. Would be a viable reason. But why would a coach tell a player to stop doing something that’s made him successful? No one would ever tell AP how to run.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yep. Keeps getting ignored by those who have convinced themselves he's not special.
No one is ignoring that. You’re just not understanding the topic. But keep saying the same thing . . . makes you look really smart.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No one is ignoring that. You’re just not understanding the topic. But keep saying the same thing . . . makes you look really smart.
Understand what you're saying. You're just wrong. You keep ignoring any reason why he might not have that extra step because it doesn't suit your argument. How many times has he legitimately had space to actually break a run? Very few. This after weeks of being completely used in the wrong way and still behind the worst line in the league. But keep ignoring everything, it makes you look really smart.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Understand what you're saying. You're just wrong. You keep ignoring any reason why he might not have that extra step because it doesn't suit your argument. How many times has he legitimately had space to actually break a run? Very few. This after weeks of being completely used in the wrong way and still behind the worst line in the league. But keep ignoring everything, it makes you look really smart.
I don’t think you’re reading the entire thread. All of us have repeatedly acknowledged that his surrounding talent is poor and that the coaching has been awful. We are talking specifically about the rare moments that he has had opportunities in space. And he has. A lot of them? No. No one said he has had a lot. But he likely has 2-3 per week on average. At this juncture that’s likely somewhere around 20-30 chances to flash and he’s not really done it in those occurrences. That’s what we are talking about. I don’t know that I can explain that any more simply.

I mean your argument seems to be “he doesn’t have the extra step because he hasn’t had the opportunity to have an extra step.” That would only make sense if he literally has never had a chance in open space this season and that’s just not true. Limited opportunity? Sure. But no opportunity? Wrong.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Apologies for the snide remark at the end.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today’s the first day that I’ve seen the spurt. Twice. Nice to know it’s atill there. I hope it’s evident against teams not the raiders.

Doesn’t matter who it’s against if it’s his burst your judging right? Point being DJ is still DJ it would help tremendously if he weren’t running behind the most pitiful line in the league...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if he could not drop passes that would be great..

Agreed but both drops today were completely meaningless that weren’t going for the first down.... however it did stop the clock

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter who it’s against if it’s his burst your judging right? Point being DJ is still DJ it would help tremendously if he weren’t running behind the most pitiful line in the league...
Not necessarily. I’d like to see him do it against elite talent too. I don’t think anyone would argue there’s elite talent on the raiders defense.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not necessarily. I’d like to see him do it against elite talent too. I don’t think anyone would argue there’s elite talent on the raiders defense.

There’s elite talent on any NFL defense... come on. Again if your judging his burst as you say in open space he showed he still has it doesn’t matter whose chasing him. If not for stupid penalties he would have had a ridiculous game without even getting passes thrown to him for some reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose