DJ not “special” anymore?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
even on a day like today where he was virtually our entire offense I watched what looked like a sluggish player.

He’s still a very good receiver. And he ran hard. But I don’t see him making anyone miss anymore and he never runs away from anyone any longer. His jump cuts used to be lethal. Can’t recall the last time I saw those work. And he used to have a second gear. Now he’s routinely getting tackled from behind by linebackers.

I’m not saying he’s bad. I believe he’s still above average. But he’s no longer a homerun threat. He’s not the super stud we all believed he was on his was to being (and actually was for a fleeting season and a half). It saddens me greatly.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Someone mentioned he's not running with his head up, and looking for a soft landing spot. I find that to be accurate.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He just need to be used properly imo! McCoy was an idiot and hurt the offense as a whole. Not sure what exactly your looking for he had a good game with basically 100 yards rushing behind the worst Oline in football! He has never been a speedster and he has plenty of that but hasn’t been able to bust one out in the open where he can turn it on. This is the last damn problem on this team that should be being complained about!

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hard to look like a star RB when your Oline might be the NFL’s worst!

He’s still a great player imo.
Yeah but I’m talking when he’s in space. In the past when in space he was breaking ankles, tearing through contact and running away from defenders, even defensive backs. Now I see him routinely being tackled by the nearest first defender and being caught from behind by linebackers. It’s that last part, the sudden loss of an additional gear that really leapt off the screen to me today. A few times he got caught from behind so i rewound to see who caught him and repeatedly it was linebackers and even a d lineman a couple times. That stood out as a stark contrast to what we expect from DJ.

Oh, and Andre Smith sucks. I can’t type that enough.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to look like a star RB when your Oline might be the NFL’s worst! Gurley, Hunt or any other of the NFLs best RBs would struggle behind this atrocious Oline

He’s still a great player imo.

Agree just look at Gurley in his second year... he was completely mediocre didn’t appear to be a gamebreaker anymore of any kind.. It was bad enough that the following year in my fantasy draft I was able to get him in the third round..

His offensive line was atrocious and had a bad offensive team under Fisher so it’s really hard to judge...

he was use properly today and looks good concert even considering how bad the talent is around him... I would say this thread is jumping the gun a little.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He just need to be used properly imo! McCoy was an idiot and hurt the offense as a whole. Not sure what exactly your looking for he had a good game with basically 100 yards rushing behind the worst Oline in football! He has never been a speedster and he has plenty of that but hasn’t been able to bust one out in the open where he can turn it on. This is the last damn problem on this team that should be being complained about!
You have a reading comprehension problem. Did I call him a “problem?” I even pointed out he was effective today and is a good receiver and is above average. I’m merely asking the question is he no longer special like he was? The evidence my eyes is providing is pointing to “no.” But go ahead and try to stir up an argument where none existed.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He definitely was not hitting another gear like he did a couple years ago...his acceleration is not the same right now.

Reactions: PJ1

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy showed he has elite skills IMO. That back.shoulder catch down the sidelines was a beauty. As good as any WR would have done.

He was out there playing with OG who are basically right off the street. IDK what more could've been askes for DJ for this game.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree just look at Gurley in his second year... he was completely mediocre didn’t appear to be a gamebreaker anymore of any kind.. It was bad enough that the following year in my fantasy draft I was able to get him in the third round..

His offense of line was atrocious and services team under Fisher so it’s really hard to judge... he was use properly today and looks good concert even considering how bad the talent is around him... I would say this thread is jumping the gun a little.
So in spite of the lack of talent around him you think he still looks like the guy that put up over 2,000 yards a couple seasons ago? That’s what I’m asking. I don’t think he looks like that guy. Not that level of dynamite.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have a reading comprehension problem. Did I call him a “problem?” I even pointed out he was effective today and is a good receiver and is above average. I’m merely asking the question is he no longer special like he was? The evidence my eyes is providing is pointing to “no.” But go ahead and try to stir up an argument where none existed.

No I can read and comprehend just fine, thanks for the jerky response! I was giving my opinion the same as others no need to be a dick about it. Judging him behind this line and with a new coaching staff and OC is premature but go ahead. As someone noted already in this thread Gurley looked pretty mediocre in his second year but that happens when you have no blocking and or poor coaching and play calling. My point was simply DJ is fine and still DJ maybe he needs a little time in a whole new system to get comfortable, I think he’s showed who he is and deserves a little patience.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McCoy screwed this offense really bad. We are just starting to develop a little rythmn on offense. I’m not worried about DJ because we are drastically short on explosive talent. We don’t utilize the speed we have like Logan but even if we wanted to our o- line doesn’t allow us the time to try.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No I can read and comprehend just fine, thanks for the jerky response! I was giving my opinion the same as others no need to be a dick about it. Judging him behind this line and with a new coaching staff and OC is premature but go ahead. As someone noted already in this thread Gurley looked pretty mediocre in his second year but that happens when you have no blocking and or poor coaching and play calling. My point was simply DJ is fine and still DJ maybe he needs a little time in a whole new system to get comfortable, I think he’s showed who he is and deserves a little patience.
Dude you try to put words in my mouth be prepared for a jerky response. I never said DJ was a “problem.” I never “complained.” I asked a question based on my observations but then you tried to claim I was complaining and calling DJ a problem. Read the post. If you disagree then say so and move along. No need to put words in the mouths of other posters and you avoid arguments. Pretty simple.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
McCoy screwed this offense really bad. We are just starting to develop a little rythmn on offense. I’m not worried about DJ because we are drastically short on explosive talent. We don’t utilize the speed we have like Logan but even if we wanted to our o- line doesn’t allow us the time to try.
I don’t think a lot of you are getting what I’m asking. I’m not “worried” about DJ. I believe he’s still a good back. I’m just wondering if he’s lost that little extra edge that he had that put him into the tier of the “best back” in football argument that he used to occupy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think it’s too early... he hasn’t had a lot of opportunity in space. I think he looks good for a guy literally playing on arguably the worst all around O in football.

He has 8 TDS in 9 games... The elite like catch he made in this game on the back shoulder etc... It’s just to hard to judge in this offense even with the new OC which is def better.

That’s why I reference gurley in his 2nd year to me the similarities are eerily similar.

I don’t hate your opinion I just think I it’s jumping the gun.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
+1 for not the same player he was. No longer a threat to take it to the house anytime he gets in space.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i like him but sometimes i see him trying to go to the middle too often instead trying to make some cuts, even when he catches the ball, its like he doesnt want to put an extra gear

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The burst seems to be lacking compared to 2016. Something to keep in mind is that DJ was an old rookie. He turns 27 next month, which is already getting up there in RB years.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The burst seems to be lacking compared to 2016. Something to keep in mind is that DJ was an old rookie. He turns 27 next month, which is already getting up there in RB years.

That’s not old he’s an elite athlete with very low miles on the tires... lol

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
lets just try to keep everyone healthy and limp to the finish line this season. Next year will be a fresh start. Shane’s Gurley comparison seems like the most likely scenario

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave