DJ not “special” anymore?

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really want to know what most of these players are telling their friends and family about this coaching staff.

I have a feeling McCoy was 100% of the problem because Wilks didn't assert himself as the alpha immediately, or McCoy simply did what he wanted just like he did in Denver.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think a lot of you are getting what I’m asking. I’m not “worried” about DJ. I believe he’s still a good back. I’m just wondering if he’s lost that little extra edge that he had that put him into the tier of the “best back” in football argument that he used to occupy.
Ouchie - There does appear to be a lack of production this year by DJ.

But I think the problem has more to do with poor offensive line play and lack of play execution smoothness than just DJ.

In fact, just viewing the numbers - DJ caught 8 passes vs. KC and gained nearly 100 yds.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with DJ. It was called horrid OC. McCoy used DJ terrible and not in the right way . Our OL is horrid and he still had 98 yards. Whats Crazy we actually outplayed KC except for OL play . We got sacked out of fg range twice and the onside kick and bad throw

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be he knows we aren't going anywhere this year so he's just trying to save himself & not get hurt.

I'll be honest, if the above is the case, that's incredibly disappointing because it says to me he doesn't have the heart of HOF. Anyone ever remember AP or Barry Sanders being accused of saving themselves and not trying to get hurt while playing for bad teams or behind bad offensive lines?

He just got the contract extension he wanted and is being paid very handsomely. If he's doing the above, I question how great he can actually be. It's easy to play hard when things are going well. The all-timers play hard every damn down no matter what's going on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys forget how electric this guy was his first two seasons in the league. I get that he had a lot more room to operate in his rookie season because that offense was dynamic across the board. But the next season, it wasn't anything close to that and he was making a much... eh.

let's just hope that this production continues and as he gets in more of a groove in this newly called offensive, looks more and more explosive like he did a couple years ago.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think some of you guys forget how electric this guy was his first two seasons in the league. I get that he had a lot more room to operate in his rookie season because that offense was dynamic across the board. But the next season, it wasn't anything close to that and he was making a much... eh.

let's just hope that this production continues and as he gets in more of a groove in this newly called offensive, looks more and more explosive like he did a couple years ago.

Nope.

I will never forget how good David Johnson, John Brown, Daryl Washington and Tyrann Mathieu were for the brief times they were some of the top players in the league at their positions.

The loss of John Brown (who still is not the same as he was), and Tyrann Mathieu from what they were is so sad to think about. Those two were electric, and extremely entertaining.

I understand injuries are part of the NFL, and that there is blame to go around about the current state of the Cardinals.

But DAMN, you cannot honestly say that the Cardinals didn't get some of the worse injuries at the worst time to players that could currently be stars for this team.

Getting back to David Johnson ? I think he is too heavy, too much muscle, and that has taken away that speed he has. His speed has always been from his stride, and if he is too strong that will reduce that stride and take away that quickness. At least that is what I think is going on with Johnson.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Getting back to David Johnson ? I think he is too heavy, too much muscle, and that has taken away that speed he has. His speed has always been from his stride, and if he is too strong that will reduce that stride and take away that quickness. At least that is what I think is going on with Johnson.

This is an interesting point.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I am 100% convinced this is not the case... I have had 2 separate and amazing occasions to sit down with David (and his wife), for hours each time.
The first time was in February, and then again 3 weeks ago. I was and remain stunned at how trim he actually is. I would bet his waist is no more than a size 32 and in fact, if looks smaller!
I would bet he wears no bigger than a size 42 jacket, if that! He doesn't have an ounce of fat on his body, but by no means is he anywhere near being too heavy...

Reaction score
I am 100% convinced this is not the case... I have had 2 separate and amazing occasions to sit down with David (and his wife), for hours each time.
The first time was in February, and then again 3 weeks ago. I was and remain stunned at how trim he actually is. I would bet his waist is no more than a size 32 and in fact, if looks smaller!
I would bet he wears no bigger than a size 42 jacket, if that! He doesn't have an ounce of fat on his body, but by no means is he anywhere near being too heavy...

You are a lucky man 82. ;)

Reaction score
I'll be honest, if the above is the case, that's incredibly disappointing because it says to me he doesn't have the heart of HOF. Anyone ever remember AP or Barry Sanders being accused of saving themselves and not trying to get hurt while playing for bad teams or behind bad offensive lines?

He just got the contract extension he wanted and is being paid very handsomely. If he's doing the above, I question how great he can actually be. It's easy to play hard when things are going well. The all-timers play hard every damn down no matter what's going on.

I agree. I just thought it could be a possibility of what is going on. I think for the most part it was McCoy. I think David really struggled trying to learn his playbook. You could tell by the missed assignments that the coaches were talking about early on. Hard to react quickly if you don't know what you are doing.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Honestly I think he is holding back the extra gear because he knows this year is lost and he doesn't want another injury.

The Suns Syndrome.

Not the players fault mostly. It is the culture that's created with these actions that stays for a decade or longer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns Syndrome.

Not the players fault mostly. It is the culture that's created with these actions that stays for a decade or longer.

I just don't know if I buy this for guys who are "special". We never questioned Q or Fitz (once Haley broke him down) for dogging it because the team sucked. They played and are still playing their hearts out no matter the record or score.

I'm really hoping this isn't the case with DJ.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just don't know if I buy this for guys who are "special". We never questioned Q or Fitz (once Haley broke him down) for dogging it because the team sucked. They played and are still playing their hearts out no matter the record or score.

I think DJ is hitting all cylinders physically his body permits on game day. Also, DJ may be not immune to "The Suns Syndrome" going around in Cardinals locker room (Hey look here! we gave a good fight to chiefs. Got more bricks from the coach today mentality) himself.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You are a lucky man 82. ;)

Just happened to be put in certain situations at the right time... Both were associated with charity events. The first was where I actually won a private dinner at Dominick's Steakhouse. My wife and I, and 2 other couples actually had dinner with DJ and his wife, Meghan, in a private room! They spent nearly 3 hours with us! Two of the most genuine and nicest people you could ever meet.
And then, 3 weeks ago I got invited to attend their own annual fund-raiser for their Mission 31 charity. Got to spend all night with them, along with Marcus Golden, DJ Humphries, Mike Iupati and DJ Foster. DJ and Meghan actually remembered me from our Dominick's dinner!
Anyway, like I said, it's almost shocking to see him in person...If you didn't know any better, you would guess he weighs 200lbs max.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just happened to be put in certain situations at the right time... Both were associated with charity events. The first was where I actually won a private dinner at Dominick's Steakhouse. My wife and I, and 2 other couples actually had dinner with DJ and his wife, Meghan, in a private room! They spent nearly 3 hours with us! Two of the most genuine and nicest people you could ever meet.
And then, 3 weeks ago I got invited to attend their own annual fund-raiser for their Mission 31 charity. Got to spend all night with them, along with Marcus Golden, DJ Humphries, Mike Iupati and DJ Foster. DJ and Meghan actually remembered me from our Dominick's dinner!
Anyway, like I said, it's almost shocking to see him in person...If you didn't know any better, you would guess he weighs 200lbs max.
You shook his hand, didn’t you? Didn’t you?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Curse of 82 is the problem.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Agree, if this was the case with Walter Peyton he never would have made it to the HOF. If he dogged it because the season was lost he would have been dogging it almost his entire career. He was on a lot of bad Bears teams. It was only lat ein his career that the Bears got better and went to the SB. I am still pissed Ditka didn't make sure the ball was given to Peyton and let the Fridge carry it in for a TD instead.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
DJ w/McCoy - Rushing - 16.2/g/49.7/g(3.07/att) Receiving - 2.5/g(71.4% catch)/22.7/g(9.07 y/r)
DJ w/Leftwich - Rushing - 18.5/g/78.5/g(4.24/att) Receiving - 5.5/g(84.6% catch)/63/g(11.45 y/r)
DJ w/'16 Arians - Rushing - 18.3/g/77.4/g(4.2/att) Receiving - 5.0/g(66.7% catch)/54.9/g(11.0 y/r)

Pretty small sample size and probably incomparable strength of opponent but the numbers in a vacuum have jumped since McCoy "left" and even exceed Arians'. It's hard not to think that Leftwich isn't off to a good start in terms of Johnson's usage.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Agreed, did you hear BA talking about Larry towards the end of the game? he said he's a pros pro. He was still playing like it was the first quarter when there was really only a minute to play.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, did you hear BA talking about Larry towards the end of the game? he said he's a pros pro. He was still playing like it was the first quarter when there was really only a minute to play.

David Johnson had 7 touches during the 4th quarter:

• 23 yard reception for a 1st down
  • 8 yard run
  • 4 yard run for a 1st down
  • 10 yard run for a 1st down
  • 7 yard reception
  • 9 yard run
  • 10 yard reception for a 1st down
Are people implying that DJ dogged it late in the game?

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
David Johnson had 7 touches during the 4th quarter:

• 23 yard reception for a 1st down
  • 8 yard run
  • 4 yard run for a 1st down
  • 10 yard run for a 1st down
  • 7 yard reception
  • 9 yard run
  • 10 yard reception for a 1st down
Are people implying that DJ dogged it late in the game?
No, no one is making that argument. Some are postulating that maybe DJ doesn’t look as explosive because the team sucks and so he’s saving wear and tear on his body. I don’t buy that theory.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, no one is making that argument. Some are postulating that maybe DJ doesn’t look as explosive because the team sucks and so he’s saving wear and tear on his body. I don’t buy that theory.

Isn't that the definition of "dogging it"? To fail to put forth the effort necessary to achieve or accomplish something.