DJ Humphries Re-Signed

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is perfect. For an extra 10mm above the tag cost, we gain two more years of control. He gets another bite at the apple post CBA and before he turns 30.

Love it. A true win / win for both sides.

BritCard will be waking up from his peaceful slumber around 3 or 4 am EST. Should make for some good posts tomorrow when I go to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Overpriced for what he's actually done on the field. He has never played like a 15 mil per year OT...but now he is one. I just hope he stays healthy. He is below average, but if he can stay on the field at least it's one less spot to fill. We are currently seeing what's it like to pay a DJ who doesn't play....it is pretty limiting for the franchise

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my one complaint: i dont like that in that at about the same time that K1 will be due for a new contract, the team may need to resign its LT again.

then again, three years is like a lifetime in the NFL

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my one complaint: i dont like that in that at about the same time that K1 will be due for a new contract, the team may need to resign its LT again.

then again, three years is like a lifetime in the NFL
Don't like the contract, considering is not an elite tackle but at least they have a 3 year window to find the replacement.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I would’ve franchised him, but it’s one less need in the draft. If he stays on the field & he plays no worse than 2019 it’s a fair deal for both.

I would say we’re most likely either picking an ILB, edge rusher or WR at #8 depending on who’s available

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Keim knows how to deal with that agency

:(

Look at this way: would the Cardinals be significantly better if they had resigned all of their own free agents during the Keim era?

The answer is 100% yes. Something like 25% of free agents meet expectations.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm ambivalent to this. I see the negatives, I see the positives, and there's definitely reason to be hopeful that he's found the right coach(es) for his style, and has developed maturity to continue growing.

I didn't expect it to be over this early, so that's a huge positive. Let's see how the rest of the offseason develops!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at this way: would the Cardinals be significantly better if they had resigned all of their own free agents during the Keim era?

The answer is 100% yes. Something like 25% of free agents meet expectations.

Resigning your own high draft picks certainly is very important but I was talking about the terms of those deals.
Sk overpaid humphries and Johnson

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Resigning your own high draft picks certainly is very important but I was talking about the terms of those deals.
Sk overpaid humphries and Johnson
At the time he resigned Johnson, it made sense, Keim just structured the contract to a disadvantage for future yrs. No way of knowing at the time Johnson would end up performing like he is now. Hopefully Humphries pans out? Keim obviously learned something about contracts with the Johnson debacle. He front loaded Humphries contract instead of backloading it like Johnson's. If Humphries doesn't pan out during 2020 & 2021, it will be easier to release him cap wise in 2022. Not that cheap to release Johnson after those first 2 seasons of his contract.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm ambivalent to this. I see the negatives, I see the positives, and there's definitely reason to be hopeful that he's found the right coach(es) for his style, and has developed maturity to continue growing.

I didn't expect it to be over this early, so that's a huge positive. Let's see how the rest of the offseason develops!
Hopefully it is a huge positive? One less position Keim has to worry about & can now go sign another position of need next month during FA. Then use the draft for another position of need. At #8, we should have plenty of options. Obviously our draft pick at #8 will depend on who we sign in FA? I'm still not sold on a RT at #8 but I wouldn't be totally against it if we go DL during FA? If we go DL during FA, we could take a #1 WR at #8 if available or RT? If we get a RT during FA, we could go DL at #8? Derrick Brown if available? If we go #1 WR at #8, we could take a RT in the 2nd round? Lots of options & ways we could go but again, resigning Humphries takes one less position of need off the board. Time for FA now. I'm pumped. Can't wait for the combine & FA.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hopefully it is a huge positive? One less position Keim has to worry about & can now go sign another position of need next month during FA. Then use the draft for another position of need. At #8, we should have plenty of options. Obviously our draft pick at #8 will depend on who we sign in FA? I'm still not sold on a RT at #8 but I wouldn't be totally against it if we go DL during FA? If we go DL during FA, we could take a #1 WR at #8 if available or RT? If we get a RT during FA, we could go DL at #8? Derrick Brown if available? If we go #1 WR at #8, we could take a RT in the 2nd round? Lots of options & ways we could go but again, resigning Humphries takes one less position of need off the board. Time for FA now. I'm pumped. Can't wait for the combine & FA.
We still also need an ILB, OLB, and backups outside of what you mentioned. Let's not get excited yet.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We still also need an ILB, OLB, and backups outside of what you mentioned. Let's not get excited yet.
Oh trust me brother I know lol. There's so many possible moving parts to this it can get silly. We can debate all day long on needs & if we sign this player, draft this player etc etc. At the end of the day, the chips have to fall as the off-season starts in order. Today was a piece, then next month FA, then the draft in April. We will definitely be able to boil it down to about 3 players at #8, depending on who we get in March. I'm still pumped. Only thing I've got to be excited about right now until the FA period is the NCAA tournament & my Kentucky Wildcats lol.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Countdown to BritCard meltdown.

Nah I was always expecting it. They been saying for months they wanted to resign him and it's exactly the money being thrown around.

It's a garbage deal but I'll just sit back now and wait for him to hit IR / be trash so I can say "I told you".

The twitter comments sum it up which are along the lines of "We can get out in two years". When you sign your LT to a fat deal and the first thought is how you can get out of it that tells you everything.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But how can this be?

BritCard, the purchasing agent, said that if the Cards offered $11m initially it meant they'd pay $13m, no more.

Obviously the reports of $11m weren't true. They did come from RoTB I think so was always a huge mountain of salt. Actually might have come from Mitch come to think of it.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does this mean that we can't add DJ to SK's draft picks who never got (from Arizona) a second contract? Damn!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
At the time he resigned Johnson, it made sense, Keim just structured the contract to a disadvantage for future yrs. No way of knowing at the time Johnson would end up performing like he is now. Hopefully Humphries pans out? Keim obviously learned something about contracts with the Johnson debacle. He front loaded Humphries contract instead of backloading it like Johnson's. If Humphries doesn't pan out during 2020 & 2021, it will be easier to release him cap wise in 2022. Not that cheap to release Johnson after those first 2 seasons of his contract.

Yeah, but it'll be easy for Humphries to sit out in 2 years too. He's not a great LT but he's adequate, which means we needed to keep him but didn't want to be tied too much to him. So, yeah, it's kind of a win, but it's kind of a lose too. The deal's only great if he DOESN'T turn out to be great kind of thing.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This signing is about Kugler and the attitude and tutelage which he has brought to the OL... he's the guy which really deserves a quick raise so nobody takes him :raccoon:
Agree, I was just going to post something similar on Kugler when I saw yours. He is one of the best OL coaches the Cards have had in a long time. The OL continued to improve throughout the season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is perfect. For an extra 10mm above the tag cost, we gain two more years of control. He gets another bite at the apple post CBA and before he turns 30.

Love it. A true win / win for both sides.

BritCard will be waking up from his peaceful slumber around 3 or 4 am EST. Should make for some good posts tomorrow when I go to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nah I was always expecting it. They been saying for months they wanted to resign him and it's exactly the money being thrown around.

It's a garbage deal but I'll just sit back now and wait for him to hit IR / be trash so I can say "I told you".

The twitter comments sum it up which are along the lines of "We can get out in two years". When you sign your LT to a fat deal and the first thought is how you can get out of it that tells you everything.

Off by 9 minutes!!!

I think our line as a whole was less injury prone in this new system. Let's see if it was a trend or just dumb luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose