Disney's Sleeping Beauty on Bluray

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
I didn't see a topic for this... so thought I'd create one...

Anyone here with a bluray player pick up Sleeping Beauty yet??

Two words that came to mind when watching it were "Holy S***!"

For an animated movie that is 50 years old, I don't think I've ever seen any form of animation looks so incredible.

I had my share of doubt with it looking any different then a standard DVD, but the details in the movie were so amazing it was as if it had been drawn yesterday.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between that and The Godfather Trilogy rerelease, I am tempted to get a Blu-Ray player.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I haven't gotten a player yet, but this is definitely one I'll be getting when I get one.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten a player yet, but this is definitely one I'll be getting when I get one.

Go buy it now. Disney realizes that not everyone has a Blu-ray player so you get the two disc Blu-ray edition and they include a standard DVD version so you can watch it until you get a player. Pretty cool. :cool:

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray Two-Disc Platinum Edition plus Standard DVD + BD Live) [Blu-ray] (1959)

:thumbup:

OP
OP
Mrh182

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go buy it now. Disney realizes that not everyone has a Blu-ray player so you get the two disc Blu-ray edition and they include a standard DVD version so you can watch it until you get a player. Pretty cool. :cool:

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray Two-Disc Platinum Edition plus Standard DVD + BD Live) [Blu-ray] (1959)

:thumbup:

I got this on Amazon and it is en route. I need to sell the 2 disc version I already have.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this on Amazon and it is en route. I need to sell the 2 disc version I already have.

Use Amazon seller. I just sold a bunch of DVDs and got top dollar. Just undercut the top "used" listing by a nickle or so and you'll get listed on top.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this. I undercut the used price by a quarter. It is a bit more than I was offered at a used site.

Hopefully it sells in the next couple of days.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just at the store and was watching sleeping beauty on two screens side by side. One was on a regular DVD with an upconverting player on an HDTV.

The other was on a blu-ray with an HDTV.

The difference was minimal really IMO.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just at the store and was watching sleeping beauty on two screens side by side. One was on a regular DVD with an upconverting player on an HDTV.

The other was on a blu-ray with an HD-DVD.

The difference was minimal really IMO.

Huh?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't see the difference between these two?

You must be registered for see images attach

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Blu-Ray players are rapidly nearing the mass adoption price point. I picked up the Sony BD-350 clone at Costco for $279 and it came with an HDMI cable. It is BD Live Ready and comes with a remote. Rumor has it there will be a Samsung on Black Friday at Ultimate for $150 and others out there for $99. The Sony BD-300 is at some Circuit City's for $200.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't see the difference between these two?

Absolutely. But it is minimal IMHO. Also do you know if that first pick is upconverted?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. But it is minimal IMHO. Also do you know if that first pick is upconverted?

They claim that it is. They did not discuss the player that they used to do the upconversion though. They are also using the Platinum Edition disc, not the 2 disc version that was released a few years ago.

If most people only see a minimal difference, it will take a while for this format to take off.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blu-Ray players are rapidly nearing the mass adoption price point. I picked up the Sony BD-350 clone at Costco for $279 and it came with an HDMI cable. It is BD Live Ready and comes with a remote. Rumor has it there will be a Samsung on Black Friday at Ultimate for $150 and others out there for $99. The Sony BD-300 is at some Circuit City's for $200.

$100 players will definitely bring more consumers into the market. I'm all for bringing out the best possible audio/video in our media.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Upconversion does look nice on a lot of movies. But I think older movies look absolutely fantastic on Blu. Halloween and Close Encounters to name a few. Pixar movies are awesome as well. I am a bit skeptical about SB but I'll probably get it anyway. Anyone get the Godfather yet?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upconversion does look nice on a lot of movies. But I think older movies look absolutely fantastic on Blu. Halloween and Close Encounters to name a few. Pixar movies are awesome as well. I am a bit skeptical about SB but I'll probably get it anyway. Anyone get the Godfather yet?

I decided to get Heroes and Smallville instead. Godfather is my next major Blu purchase.