Dish Network v. DirectTV

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they have different remotes/dvr's???because my father in laws does not have that feature.

They definitely have different models of remotes and DVR's. Especially from the newer to the older. My old one doesnt have that feature. But my 3 new ones do.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they have different remotes/dvr's???because my father in laws does not have that feature.

The DTV remotes (white remotes) has a button on it that looks like this:

-->|

It's an arrow with straight line to the right of the arrow. It's located at the two o'clock position from the Play button. Push that button and it automatically does a 30 "Slip" (meaning you see the action as if FF 30 seconds ahead).

If your talking about a true "Skip" (where it just jumps) there is a way to do it too. But I think it requires the HR20-700 or later receiver. Here is how you activate it on your remote.

1. Go to Menu > Search for Shows > Keyword
  2. Enter in “30SKIP” in the search area and hit “Continue”
Now if you view a recording and use the same button mentioned above it should "Skip". If you don't like it and prefer the "slip" method repeat the steps above but enter “30SLIP” instead.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
just wanted to let everyone know that i've committed . . .

. . . dish goes in this sunday.

thanks for all your help.

now the next difficult decision . . . which 50+ inch flat screen to buy . . . i'm not good at making decisions about stuff i don't know about . . . sigh . . .

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

now the next difficult decision . . . which 50+ inch flat screen to buy . . . i'm not good at making decisions about stuff i don't know about . . . sigh . . .

Cool Ouchie. Did you go DTV or Dish?

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score

Are you getting the new Turbo HD programing from Dish also?

and the 50" answer is Samsung

AZZenny

Reaction score
I was going to say, there's also some minor diffs in programming -- there are some specialty areas where they bid against one another for rights, DTV explained when I called to inquire.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
I belive this offer is still good for Dish users -

Dish Network is currently offering Cinemax for 1 cent for a entire YEAR if you switch to autopay and paperless billing.

If you have Dish Network, follow the following instructions
1. Call 1-800-333-DISH
2. Go to Billing
3. Ask about a Cinemax Promo for 1 Cent for signing up for autopay and paperless option

seems to be good untill 2010

I will be getting Dish in a few weeks so let me know how it goes.

Last edited:

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
Ouchie,

So how is it so far?

I just got a job with them, so I'm exicited I will get the hook up for free!

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ouchie,

So how is it so far?

I just got a job with them, so I'm exicited I will get the hook up for free!

i've had dish for a week now and love it. the dvr is really easy to use and the tech who came out to install it showed me some non-dish-related tricks with my surround sound (i can use all the help i can get).

the deal i got rocks also. the aforementioned cinemax for a $0.00/month and three months of HBO and showtime for free, plus HD turbo and the cost wasn't that big.

then i got my new 52 inch LCD Samsung HD installed on the wall and my surround sound hooked up. for the first time in my life i have the ps2, vcr (yes, gasp, i still own one), dvd player, and receiver all hooked up at the same time and know how to toggle between them. i am officially in love.

one problem, my surround sound cuts in and out. i can't determine if it's the speakers or the receiver. both were high quality when purchased (some 7 years ago) and both have been put through the ringer. i suppose i could purchase new ones of both, but that would SUCK.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I am getting one of these this week.

I'm so torn.

There really hasn't been a case for either - just like personal preferences.

My parents have Dish and it is fine, but what about Direct TV?

Which DVR setup is better between the two?

I think that is what will be my deciding factor.

Does DTV have a dual tuner?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm so torn.

They both do.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score

I'm so torn.

This is the best receiver that Dish has right now. The Vip722dvr

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/receivers/vip722dvr/index.shtml

The 722S is coming out soon I hear. S is for the slingbox built into the unit.
The 722 will be able to do Clip & Sling and Slingcatcher. It will also come with a LCD touchpad remote.

I'm not sure about DTV. Someone else might be able to give you more details there.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say about DTV DVR is ...

I can't wait to get back to Tivo

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I am sold on Dish Network.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
I think I am sold on Dish Network.

I work for them so if there is anything I can answer, I will try to.

If you have any questions on thier promo's or thier packgages PM me and I will try and tell you the best set up, to avoid the most fees and get the most bang for your buck, so to speak. Also I can send you a referal that will get you a 80 dollar credit off your first bill instead of the normal $50 that they are running right now.

PS I'm working evenings now so responses would not be till morning times.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At Costco, DirectTV is going to cut my bill in half for the first year, by a third after that. They are waiving installation and the HD DVR lease fee as well!!

I hope DTV is better than Comcast. Can't see it being worse.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At Costco, DirectTV is going to cut my bill in half for the first year, by a third after that. They are waiving installation and the HD DVR lease fee as well!!

:iwin:

Smart move my friend!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:iwin:

Smart move my friend!
Thanks, Shane. When I told the guy I was paying $100 a month without a DVR, he smiled from ear to ear. $50 a month plus a dvr for a year! $73 a month after that. I get giddy just thinking about it. DCR, I am getting a DVR!! W00t!

Does horrible weather affect the dish? Hope not.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also ended up with DirectTV from Costco.

They beat evry deal Dish NW had.

I love Direct TV!

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score

Remember you get what you pay for. I had Direct TV free move. When the installer got to my house they wanted to run lines on the outside of the house instead of thru the attic ( single story ). On one wall ( not the outside wall ) they said I needed an electrican to install an RG6 line. When we got to the outside box he told me that I didn't have enough lines to work with. I told him I'd reschedule the install, since he was having trouble working with what my house had.

After he left I called DTV and spoke with a tech. I advised him of my install and he told me that it would not be a problem for install and that what I decribed to him would be covered under the basic install of the move package. He rescheduled my appt. for the next day.

The second installer shows up and advised me that he could do the install, but this is a custom install and would have to pay $300 to have three boxes run with an extra line ( for the DVRs). Again I told him I would reschedule, and call DTV to find out why I was getting charged for a custom install, when I was advised the day before it would be included.

After several calls to DTV, with a few hold times of 30 mins waiting for them to sort out my situation, I got no further in a resolution. So afer a week or so of not getting a response and my unwillingness to spend $300 for the install, I bought RG6 and ran the dam lines myself.

I called DTV to reschedlue my install and went thru the entire process with an agent who in turn credited my account for the wire purchase.

When all said and done I love the product, just don't care for the install process.

By the way, before I agreed to the move package ( since my contract was up in DEC) I neg. my bill down $25 per month for the first year ( and I can add on another 6 months of savings at the end of that year for a total of 18 months of $25 off ) three free months of HBO, STARZ and Showtime, a Free HD DVR and a Free month of service. My monthy bill is $53 for HD service, three DVRs, two of which are HD and didn't pay a dime for. All for a product I really enjoy.

Ok, rant over, back to my TiVo programming !!

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I also went with DirecTV over the weekend. It sounds like the same deal I got over the phone. I'm paying $50 a month with the free HDDVR.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn