Did anybody see the complete and total confusion as well as lack of effort by Isiah Simmons?

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing is more frustrating than an
underachiever that has loitered into a position of authority. Well, actually there is something more annoying: it's when groups of underachievers loiter into communities and lower standards overall. Rather than attaining status through leadership and performance, we see mediocrity weasel its way in by dressing the part and regurgitating the right buzzwords.
- Aaron Barruga

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I noticed on one play he permitted a Chiefs player to fly by him, then he jogged to the area where that same player was being tackled. And I believe I noticed this because an NFL player jogging during a game is a rare thing indeed.

A disinterested player who’s poorly coached and who shouldn’t have been selected so high in the draft. Hmmm, let’s see: this puts the blame on Simmons, Joseph, and Keim.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s hard for me to join the opinion here when a player is so poorly used. Remember Reddick. Using a player in the wrong position can make any player look bad. He does not have smooth hip action so receivers can take advantage of him especially on longer routes. Asking him to continually cover receivers downfield does not play to his abilities. Simmons is an OLB period. He’s okay covering shorter routes. He likely could blitz well given the chance. He’s a decent, but not great, tackler who will willingly supports against the run. He‘s played so many positions I’m sure he’s totally confused as to his role on any given play. Opposing teams know this and constantly pressure him. You could play him at ILB, but he’s not as good when asked to anchor or drop straight back into zone. He is not strong at backpedaling. He’s better as a downhill player. You could walk him up to the line on passing downs and blitz if you bring up a safety or flip a DE in coverage. Sadly, Cards don’t have that type of DE. I’m not attempting to say he was a great first round draft choice. He’s also likely so confused that it may be too late to cure his self confidence by simplifying his role. I fully expect him to go to another team and play decently. As to Collins he played decently, but again he doesn’t look like a first round draft choice. I’m no big fan of Joseph, but the level of personnel he has been given doesn’t win football games at this level.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
what harry said--- he isnt being positioned correctly. A guy with his quickness and length and power needs to be lined up front chasing the damn quarterback

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those defending Vance, keep in mind that Demarcus Ware said the benefit of playing under Wade Phillips is that Wade kept it simple so players could play fast without having to think much. Von Miller said that was the biggest change transitioning from Wade's defense to Vance's.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For those defending Vance, keep in mind that Demarcus Ware said the benefit of playing under Wade Phillips is that Wade kept it simple so players could play fast without having to think much. Von Miller said that was the biggest change transitioning from Wade's defense to Vance's.
Wade Phillips is maybe a top 5 DC in the past 25 years. Worthy standard but tough expectation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I miss Todd Bowles.

Reaction score
If the above is truly the case, for a guy taken 8th in a loaded draft, in his THIRD year, then that guy and the guy who drafted him, are both pathetic.
How many ILB's with the dot play multiple positions? I think there's just too much on his plate & it would be that way with any player. He has to know every position he plays & set the defense. Give the dot to someone else if you are going to move him around to S,CB,ILB, & OLB at times. Not pathetic at all.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Snuff film warning:

The clips of the Cards defense linked above may be disturbing to some younger audiences.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Wade Phillips is maybe a top 5 DC in the past 25 years. Worthy standard but tough expectation.
Agreed but more of a statement on how Vance makes things more difficult for his players vs making things easier. That impacts young players and "positionless" players more.

I figured it was relevant because there was a direct transition from Wade's 3-4 to Vance's in Denver and the comments made by those players fit the struggles our defense seems to be having.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agreed but more of a statement on how Vance makes things more difficult for his players vs making things easier. That impacts young players and "positionless" players more.

I figured it was relevant because there was a direct transition from Wade's 3-4 to Vance's in Denver and the comments made by those players fit the struggles our defense seems to be having.
Maybe! I've said this before, but I think that different defenses demand more or less processing from different position groups. Yeah, Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense allowed the OLBs to go hog wild, but I'm pretty sure their defensive backs carry a lot of responsibilities to cover gaps or whatever. If you're going to bring pressure, you have to be pretty gap sound.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snuff film warning:

The clips of the Cards defense linked above may be disturbing to some younger audiences.

The third one is classic Vance. We are doubling Kelce with Wilson and Baker but Baker drops back because the inside WR is Juju and he beats his man, Vigil and has a TD if Baker doesn't drop. I know Juju has fallen off last 2 years but who in their right mind thinks Vigil on Juju man to man in the redzone makes sense?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wonder why we never brought Wade Phillips in. Even as a consultant. If we let Vance go during the season, a transition would not be too intense
Maybe the Cards are still bitter from Bountygate where Wade Phillips and his defense were paying out money for injuring players, including our Kurt Warner?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Amen.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1-6 in last 7 games.
Starting QB played all of these 7 games
145 million offensive roster
HC and OC is supposed to be a guru.

You wanna cry? Cry on the above not Vance Joseph.