Diamondbacks Sign Adam LaRoche

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks signed first baseman Adam LaRoche to a one-year deal, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The D'Backs were not known to be interested or able to afford LaRoche, but the move makes sense as it allows them to use Conor Jackson in left field and give Brandon Allen more minor league seasoning.

LaRoche reportedly turned down a two-year, $17.5MM deal from the Giants earlier this offseason, as he was aiming for three years. The 30-year-old hit .278/.357/.487 with 24 home runs in 610 plate appearances for the Pirates, Braves, and Red Sox. He earned $7.05MM in '09. He was a Type B free agent, but the Braves chose not to offer arbitration.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/dbacks-sign-adam-laroche.html

diamondbacks deal with adam laroche will pay him between $4 mil and $5 mil, sources tell si.com.
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/7750787081

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Interesting...good get

Nice move. Solid talent. One year to allow Allen to continue to develop, and all for a very reasonable price. Makes me wonder a bit why LaRoche took this deal and could've gotten a 2-year, $17.5 million deal from the Giants?? Seems odd to me, but I'll take it.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Nice move. Solid talent. One year to allow Allen to continue to develop, and all for a very reasonable price. Makes me wonder a bit why LaRoche took this deal and could've gotten a 2-year, $17.5 million deal from the Giants?? Seems odd to me, but I'll take it.

When LaRoche declined the 2 year deal the Giants took thier offer off the table and signed Aubrey Huff to a one year, $3 million contract

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Giants signed Aubrey Huff to a one year, $3 million contract when LaRoche declined the 2 year deal.

I guess I'm wondering why he declined the 2 year deal?? He wound up taking a one year deal at almost half the pay, while running the risk of having a poor year and/or getting injured... Seems odd to me.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to assume LaRoche thinks he can get a better deal next season. Arizona is obviously the better place to hit. He is notorious for starting slow, so maybe by playing in a hitters park will help him. I think this a great move by the D-Backs. He will obviously help this offense and if Allen proves he is ready mid-season, then LaRoche is a very valuable trade chip at the deadline.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
So is he the four hole hitter?

3.Jup
4.Laroche
5.Reynolds

split up the righthand hitters?

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I would venture to guess he will be hitting 4th. Possible order is:
1. Johnson L
2. Drew L
3. Upton R
4. LaRoche L
5. Reynolds R
6. Montero L
7. Jackson R
8. Young R

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
seems like we finally have a lot of lefties on our team. Now we need to get some more in the bullpen.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I would venture to guess he will be hitting 4th. Possible order is:
1. Johnson L
2. Drew L
3. Upton R
4. LaRoche L
5. Reynolds R
6. Montero L
7. Jackson R
8. Young R

ummmm what about Parra? He is an ideal #2 hitter and Johnson should not be leading off. Once again Drew is probably our best bet starting off the lineup.

Also, with this signing, the Diamondbacks need to clear one roster spot. Nick Piecoro says it could be Eric Brynes. :D

Once LaRoche deal is official, D-Backs will need to make a roster move. Source says they’re leaning toward releasing Eric Byrnes.
http://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/7766593470

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am extremely excited, LaRoche was who I was hoping for all along. Thought ATL would have offered arbitration but didn't, thought he was out of our price range so I was thinking of Blalock or Nady but lo and behold. This completes our offseason, Byrnes is a man of his word, everything on his to do list is complete. Unless we can trade Snyder for a LRP we are looking at our 2010 roster. This is probably why we dropped out of the Valverde sweepstakes. A line-up of Jackson, Reynolds, LaRoche, Upton and Drew is one to be really optimistic about.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Parra is not going to be starting over a healthy Jackson.

I was talking about starting over Young. If CY didn't lose his job last year, I have no idea what it would take to get him out of the lineup.

If Parra is our 4th outfielder behind CY at the start of the season, AJ should be fired on the spot.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I was talking about starting over Young. If CY didn't lose his job last year, I have no idea what it would take to get him out of the lineup.

If Parra is our 4th outfielder behind CY at the start of the season, AJ should be fired on the spot.

WHOA!!!! Holy Cow!!!!!!! Sanity!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I have and continue to believe Chris Young is our best option right now in center. He can't be any worse offensivly this season as he was last and his defense is a million times better than Parra's in center. I guess we will see how Chris has adjusted his swing during spring. Parra will open up the season as the 4th outfielder. You can mark it down. Whether he ends the season that way is up for debate.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I have and continue to believe Chris Young is our best option right now in center. He can't be any worse offensivly this season as he was last and his defense is a million times better than Parra's in center. I guess we will see how Chris has adjusted his swing during spring. Parra will open up the season as the 4th outfielder. You can mark it down. Whether he ends the season that way is up for debate.

I would completely disagree. Parra's arm is much better than CY's and to say that CY is better than Parra in center is spliting hairs. The only thing that CY can do in center better than Parra is cover move ground. Both are above average defenders. The only difference between the two is Parra doesn't leave his bat behind when he steps into the batter's box. When CY gets up there you might as well tell him to sit back down and just give the opposition an out.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I would completely disagree. Parra's arm is much better than CY's and to say that CY is better than Parra in center is spliting hairs. The only thing that CY can do in center better than Parra is cover move ground. Both are above average defenders. The only difference between the two is Parra doesn't leave his bat behind when he steps into the batter's box. When CY gets up there you might as well tell him to sit back down and just give the opposition an out.

The difference between Parra's arm and Young's arm is less than the difference in their speed. Also people forget how Chris was able to hit during the final month of the season. Yes it is a small sample size but in 28 games he hit .280.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgin1=youngch04&year=2009&t=b#month

Let's wait to see how spring plays out. It is a brand new season and it seems like we are setting ourselves up for a nice rebound.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Love your thought process dude! It never ceases to amaze me how much people attempt to rationalize CY's existance in the majors solely because of his "defensive" skills... You would think the dude is the equivalent of Willie Mays or Ken Griffey, Jr.
There is no way in the world CY should be in the starting lineup simply because he can run fast. None...

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this signing a lot. I can't believe he signed with the Diamondbacks. Byrnes is now history and Parra will be the 4th outfielder. Parra will be a very good defensive replacement in the later innings and a good guy to start once or twice a week.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard