Diamondbacks notebook - Villarreal is odd man out

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Jack Magruder, Tribune

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Oscar Villarreal took the fall in the final shakeout of the Diamondbacks’ opening day roster, but manager Bob Melvin took the blame.
Given an early shot at the open No. 5 spot in the starting rotation, Villarreal struggled after being returned to the bullpen two weeks ago and was optioned to Class AAA Tucson as the D-Backs set their 11-man pitching staff. Villarreal had a 12.79 ERA in 12 2/3 innings, giving up 21 hits and eight walks.

"This one’s on me," Melvin said. "I took him out of the rotation maybe a little too late. I feel I didn’t give him a chance to get ready. It’s not as much a demotion as it is just getting him right. He needs to be more consistent."

Villarreal was 10-7 with a 2.57 ERA in 2003, pitching in a National League rookie record 86 games, before missing the majority of last season after undergoing ulnar nerve replacement surgery.

Melvin said he plans to define roles of his bullpen arms today, with the closing job coming down to Brandon Lyon and Greg Aquino.

Aquino had back-to-back scoreless innings with three strikeouts against Boston on Thursday and Friday, while Lyon had been scored on once in his team-high 11 spring outings.

"I didn’t feel like spring training was seven or eight days too long, like you sometimes do at the end," Melvin said. "Aquino is that much better right now."

Melvin identified Lyon as the surprise of this camp, because "I was hoping, but I didn’t expect what I have seen all spring. He’s a quality pitcher. You can see why he was the guy in the Schilling deal they couldn’t do without."

NUMBERS GAME
The D-Backs, 17-16-2, entered the final day of spring training with NL highs in batting average (.306), RBIs (204), walks drawn (114), ERA (6.58) and walks given up (121), numbers that can be skewed by the way games are played in spring training.

"It’s not just your big league guys that are out there all the time. It’s often a 60-40 split," Melvin said of playing time. "Our organization as a whole is deeper in position players than it is pitchers. You get deeper than that, like you do in spring training, and now you are running some guys out there who are going to give up some runs."

While Russ Ortiz has walked 10 in 17 innings, the other top three in the starting rotation has averaged fewer than three walks per nine innings. Opening Day starter Javier Vazquez has walked only six in 24 1/3 innings.

"I’ll feel good about the 11 guys we have here,’’ Melvin said of his major league staff.

SHORT HOPS
Left-hander Brad Halsey will serve a two-game suspension Tuesday and Wednesday, Melvin said, so he can participate in opening day festivities. He was disciplined for a high-inside pitch thrown to Boston’s Dave Roberts late last season. The suspension will not affect Halsey’s ability to throw a simulated game Wednesday, five days before his first scheduled regular-season start April 11 against Colorado. That will put Halsey between righties Ortiz and Brandon Webb and not next to lefty Shawn Estes. Melvin said early in camp he hoped to separate his lefties. . . .

The D-Backs were paid $75,000 to play in Albuquerque, their first visit here. . . .

Jose Valverde, suffering from biceps tendinitis, was placed on the disabled list. To clear a roster spot for Quinton McCracken, who made the team as a backup outfielder, the D-Backs designated outfielder Reggie Abercrombie for assignment. The D-Backs have 10 days to trade or release him. . . .

Melvin, on his team’s chemistry: "I didn’t have to break up any fights, so that’s good." . . . .

Rookie Sergio Santos served as the D-Backs’ bat boy in the first inning, punishment for being late for the morning flight.

Opening day roster
Catchers: Koyie Hill, Chris Snyder Infielders: Alex Cintron, Tony Clark, Royce Clayton, Craig Counsell, Troy Glaus, Matt Kata, Chad Tracy Outfielders: Jose Cruz Jr., Luis Gonzalez, Shawn Green, Quinton McCracken, Luis Terrero Starting pitchers: Shawn Estes, Brad Halsey, Russ Ortiz, Javier Vazquez, Brandon Webb Relief pitchers: Greg Aquino, Brian Bruney, Randy Choate, Michael Gosling, Mike Koplove, Brandon Lyon, *Jose Valverde * will open the season on the disabled list

2005 opening day lineup
2B Craig Counsell SS Royce Clayton LF Luis Gonzalez 3B Troy Glaus RF Shawn Green CF Jose Cruz Jr. 1B Chad Tracy C Koyie Hill P Javier Vazquez

2004 opening day lineup
CF Steve Finley 2B Roberto Alomar LF Luis Gonzalez 1B Richie Sexson SS Alex Cintron 1B Shea Hillenbrand RF Danny Bautista C Brent Mayne P Randy Johnson

AT A GLANCE
Rangers 7, D-Backs 4
Notable pitching: Brandon Lyon pitched a 1-2-3 sixth inning, retiring Texas 4-5-6 hitters Mark Teixeira, Richard Hidalgo and Kevin Mench. Shawn Estes gave up two earned runs and got two double play grounders in five innings. Brian Bruney pitched a scoreless seventh, striking out two.

Notable hitting: Troy Glaus hit his seventh homer and increased his major league-leading RBI total to 33 with a three-run homer in the first. Tony Clark hit his team-high ninth double. Luis Gonzalez had his second spring homer, and has seven hits in the last three games.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=38992

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel bad for Oscar. Brenly overused him and now he is suffering because of that.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
2005 opening day lineup
2B Craig Counsell SS Royce Clayton LF Luis Gonzalez 3B Troy Glaus RF Shawn Green CF Jose Cruz Jr. 1B Chad Tracy C Koyie Hill P Javier Vazquez

2004 opening day lineup
CF Steve Finley 2B Roberto Alomar LF Luis Gonzalez 1B Richie Sexson SS Alex Cintron 1B Shea Hillenbrand RF Danny Bautista C Brent Mayne P Randy Johnson
Wow - what a difference!

PS - Remind me again, what happened to Hillebrand? Did we not re-sign him or did he get traded?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Wow - what a difference!

PS - Remind me again, what happened to Hillebrand? Did we not re-sign him or did he get traded?

Traded to Toronto for Adam Peterson.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
I saw Oscar at the BOB and he definitely did not look ready for prime time.

It was a decent move and Oscar needs the work to come back from injury, get back in shape.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort