RMs: Final Mock Extravaganza

Which Mock do you like the most

• Total voters

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good Morning.

BTW - Scroll down a bit, to just look at the mocks, and bypass the BS. My explanations/justifications are below the mocks.

PSS - I appreciate the compliments on "hard work and time" but they are not needed. I do this because I enjoy it, so please, the best complement I can receive is for you to rip this to shreds and tell me how wrong I am! :D

Introduction:
Two weeks out, and the NFL draft from this point on will be going crazy. So this is it. My final mock, I will stick to this. Along with my own mock, I will have four others along with it:

1 - I will have my own mock.
2 - What I think the Cardinals have a good chance at doing base on what I have see and read
3 - A "and now for something completely different mock"
4 - A little breakdown of the current ASFN mock
5 - A mock with a trade down that can DEFINATELY end up happening.

Notes:
A couple things that have really affected my thoughts on the draft are:

1- The fact the plan for the running game is a fluid situation. It seems that many have an idea of what we will see, but even then the implementation of the running game is going to be based on the players on the roster. So, it is a bit of a chicken or the egg situation.

2- Verbage, and adjectives. As I, and others compare one player to the next, keep in mind what the statements are relative to. There are going to be a host of really good prospects at #7, and each with its own logic for picking that player. The pluses and minuses for each player are relative to that pick, and the other players in the draft. So, when I say something like, "I don't like Lane Johnson for this reason, and that reason", I am not saying he is a bad player. I just don't like him for the Cardinals system, and like someone better. It's not he is HORRIBLE. No, not at all. A good player, but the point is drafting the best player for the team at each pick. So, keep in mind these choices are not all or nothing, meaning just because I say something bad, doesn't automatically make the player the worst in the draft.

3- Coaches decisions: See #1. Sorry, it is too hard to defend what you just can't know. This is a quasi-new front office, and brand new coaching staff, I am too tired trying to get it perfect. If there are two players where there base talent is about the same, and I have no preference, then I will post both, and note the Coaches/Front Office can choose either or for all I care.

4- My philosophy. Ken Whizenhunt has affected my drafting philosophy more than any other NFL personality. It was like as if he was the ultimate example of drafting cause and effect.

Whiz Rule #1 - Studs are Studs. And just because you have the BPA in the draft in your sights doesn't mean you continue with that logic when he is gone. When Joe Thomas was no longer there, they should have picked Adrian Peterson. Why ? Peterson was a stud. The only offensive lineman the Cardinals should have gotten with that pick is Joe Thomas, when he was not there, the big mistake was staying there and picking Levi Brown, who was a reach. Worst of all, there were many solid OTs in the 2nd round of that draft who turned out to be better then Levi Brown. Levi Brown was no stud of a prospect, and that was a mistake.

Whiz Rule #2 - Pick the stud when he is there. See Patrick Peterson. It was SO easy. He was available and we picked up.

Whiz Rule #3 - Its a balance. The draft cannot be all or nothing. You don't pick Michael Floyd because you think he is the BPA, when he doesn't help your team. Michael Floyd is not Adrian Peterson, Patrick Peterson, or a Joe Thomas. He is not an elite player at the top of the draft. I still cannot fathom how the Cardinals justify bringing in a player that had no chance to help the team. He was the BPA ? OK, fine, I will buy that. But, he was not the BPA for the Cardinals in 2012. You have to have some balance, and game plan for your picks once all the elite, stud players in a draft are gone.

4- Every mock below, except for "My Mock" are speculation on what could happen instead of what I would like to see, so if it is not on "My Mock" then that is NOT the player I want the Cardinals to select at that round. I.E. - you won't see me debating why I want Lane Johnson at #7.

My Mock
1 - Chance Warmack: OG, or Jonathan Cooper: OG/C [Coaches Decision]
2 - Alex Okafor: OLB
3 - Nick Kasa: TE
4 - TJ McDonald: SS, or Shawn Williams: FS [Coaches Decision]
5 - AJ Klein: ILB
6 - Garrett Gilkey: G/T, or J.C. Tretter: G/T [Coaches Decision]
7 - Vaughn Telemaque: SS
UDFA - Derrick Washington, HB

Arizona Cardinals Mock: Arians/Keim
1 - Lane Johnson: OT
2 - John Cyprien: SS
3 - Markus Wheaton: WR
4 - Landry Jones: QB, or Matt Scott: QB [Coaches Decision]
5 - Tyrann Mathieu: CB
6 - Latavius Murray: HB
7 - Brandon Magee: ILB
UDFA - Dan Buckner, WR

Now for Something Completely Different Mock
1 - Dion Jordan: OLB
2 - Mike Glennon: QB, or Matt Barkley: QB [Coaches Decision]
3 - Terron Armstead: G/T
4 - Kiki Alonso: ILB
5 - David Quessenberry: G/C
6 - Earl Wolff: FS
7 - Michael Williams: TE
UDFA - James Wilson, OG

ASFN: Mock
1 - Chance Warmack: OG
3 - Brian Schwenke: OC
4 - D.J. Swearinger: FS
5 - Marcus Lattimore: RB**
6 - TBD
7 - TBD
UDFA - Jose Jose, NT

** - Lattimore and Nick Kasa were tied. Already commented on Kasa so I chose Lattimore.

Mock: The Trade with the Dolphins
- New is the Dolphins are looking to trade up, and really like Lane Johnson. The Cardinals can get, at least, a extra 3rd round pick, and I will take liberties and say the Cardinals get an extra 5th round pick. So, it will be a quasi-"My Mock" with a trade.

1 - Menelik Watson: G/T
3 - Barrett Jones: C/G/T
5 - AJ Klein: ILB
6 - Michael Williams, TE
7 - Derrick Washington, HB
UDFA - Baker Steinkuhler, DE

Round 1 Picks

My Mock:
1 - Chance Warmack: OG, or Jonathan Cooper: OG/C [Coaches Decision]
Got tired of arguing over what system the Cardinals will run, and for as much as I am touting Chance Warmack as the pick, there is no doubt I have to split hairs to justify it. Both players are elite talents in my opinion, and if Warmack is talked about by many in the football world as the best player in the draft, most also agree IF Cooper is not better then Warmack, he is really close. Thus logic dictates that Cooper is the 2nd best, if not the best player in the draft. So, I prefer Warmack, but am just as good with Cooper, and I will let the coaches decide between the two.

Warmack - Power. Guy has natural power and size. He is not as athletic as Cooper but again, splitting hairs. Warmach can move, and for his size it is almost freakish. He is going to power defensive players off the spot on the field, he is going to wreak havoc on double teams, and the most important factor that makes Warmack my choice is that he is going to hold up the pocket in the passing game. He will lock down his place in the field and keep the pocket for the QB to step up in. In today's NFL that is needed when you have pass rushers flying around the edges and getting ridden out around the corners.

Cooper - How good is Cooper ? I have been touting Warmack for months, and based on what I have learned he HAS TO enter the conversation. If the Arizona Cardinals are going to a stretch/zone blocking scheme then they should be diving to the podium to pick Cooper. He is a Mike Shanahan dream. He does everything a zone blocking offensive lineman needs to do, and well. He is athletic and a finesse player, which is far from a bad thing. He knows 10 ways to get a job done. He will be really strong on pulls, and in the screen game. The biggest minus ? He is not the powerhouse Warmack is, and it will take awhile for him to be able to "keep the pocket" when in pass protection, and the initial hit on power running, I am worried we will see more of what we saw last year with our pulling guard getting stood up in the running lane. Yet, the biggest plus with Cooper is what Warmack doesn't have. The ability to play center. Jonathan Cooper is a great guard in a zone blocking system, but is a great center for ANY system. If Cooper is the student of the game that I have read he is, then he can be groomed for center, and a center that can pull, and do many things with this athleticism is a big advantage in the NFL. The Hall of Fame is FULL of centers that were not only smart, but really athletic.

I really don't like Lane Johnson as the pick for the Cardinals. I don't think he is going to be successful playing guard in the NFL, and I have my doubts about his ability to play OT in the NFL. I don't see the power needed. I see Nate Potter when looking at Johnson, and I could care less he played QB, or TE. He wreaks of a Levi Brown type pick. He is just below that elite/stud type player, and I see it as a force of a pick, if he is chosen. Yet, reports are that the Cardinals like Lane Johnson if Eric Fischer is not at the #7 spot. I dunno, I question choosing the 3rd best tackle to put at guard while he learns the NFL, when you can just pick a guard who will be better at the position. So why would the Cardinals pick him ? Cause he is an athletic, smart player who has the chance to be a good NFL LT, if he lives up to the hype.

1 - Dion Jordan: OLB
No offensive limeman ?!?! Yep. Dion Jordan is a groomed, trained OLBer for a 3-4 defense. He is not the best pass rusher you are going to find, but he can play the position. He knows how to cover, play the run, rush the passer, and the philosophies of the 3-4 defense. He is Sam Acho if Acho was a 1st round talent. The Cardinals are very very thin at OLB'er. Dion Jordan gives the Cardinals depth, and stability at a needed position. Just a good, solid OLB, without the risk of transitioning the player from a DE or another position. Not to mention he is an explosive athlete. NFL.com compares him to Julian Peterson, whom in his prime was a really good, and well balanced linebacker.

1 - Chance Warmack: OG
See Above.

1 - Menelik Watson: G/T
Why Watson ? Why so high ? Two reasons: 1. The Dolphins are trading for Lane Johnson, so he won't be there. Neither will Cooper or Warmack or they would be the obvious pick. Menelik Watson would come in day 1 and play guard for the Cardinals. All the while working towards becoming the Cardinals future left tackle. Watson is a extremely good athlete, and not based on other sports. He stood out at the combine. Very quick feet, very agile, and has good size. I like him better then Johnson, and would be there if the Cardinals trade down. He is good value when you are talking about getting an extra 3rd, and 5th round pick in the draft with him. He is a project with huge upside, starting LT tackle upside.

Round 2 Picks

My Mock:
I really like Alex Okafor. Why ? Well Sam Acho has taught me that while an OLBer has to be able to generate a pass rush (cause he struggles there) his ability to play all facets of the position is just as important. Alex Okafor is a different type of athlete then, let's say Dion Jordan. Okafor doesn't have the explosiveness, and the all around athleticism, not to mention Okafor will have to transition to OLBer. But, Okafor has his strengths. He has really, really good hands, strong arms, and uses them effectively. His play against the run is very good, and he can rush the passer. Not with so much speed, as with power an technique. Finally, what makes him my #2 pick is he is said to be a student of the game, and a gym rat. Thus I have no issue that he will learn the OLBer position, yet he can play in the nickel package as well as a DE.

You can only have one #2 pick. John Cyprien is a great prospect in this year's draft, and may not even make it to round 2. The Cardinals need saftey help and they would find that help in Cyprien. He is young, and raw, but has good speed, and hits like a truck. Not only that, he has the size to hold up in the NFL. Cyprien is a pure SS, and that Cardinals need one. Back when he was scheduled to be a 3rd round pick, he was in my mock draft. I have NO problem if he is chosen in the draft.

2 - Mike Glennon: QB, or Matt Barkley: QB [Coaches Decision]
Quarterback. Talk about a wild card in this draft. No real gauge on when they will go, who is any good, who is a risk, etc., etc. Yet, it is not crazy to talk about a QB in the 2nd round. Not in the slightest. Carson Palmer is around for 4 years tops, IMO. Drew Stanton will be 32 years old in 4 yrs. Finally, you need QB's in the NFL. Mike Glennon is the prototypical, big bodied, big arm QB, with issues with accuracy and footwork. John Skelton with more polish, and better smarts. Matt Barkley is everything you expect from a USC quarterback decent size, decent arm, has "intangibles", moxie, and is a leader. I don't really like either with the second pick of the draft, not with Palmer on board. I am fine with Carson Palmer, and Drew Stanton as our starter and backup QBs.

See Above.

See Above.

Round 3 Picks

My Mock:
What happened to Travis Kelce ? As you spend 3 months doing mocks your learn about players. Nick Kasa, is a better prospect then Travis Kelce. Kelce is more polished, but has red flags with attitude and off-field issues. Nick Kasa's red flags are that he has not played the position enough, or is not "polished".
Nick Kasa, 6'6" 270lbs can block well, and has some receiving ability. I cannot stand tight ends that cannot block, coughRobHouslercough. If a tight end can block, it gets him on the field. Once on the field, if he can make catches when asked, ala Jeff King, then you got what you need in the NFL. Jeff King has one more year on his contract, and Rob Housler cannot block to save his life. Nick Kasa is exactly what the Cardinals need, and speed, size and skill like that is hard to come by.

Enter "the burner". I am not one that believes that you need to have speed at the WR position. I think you need a deep threat, but speed is only part of the problem. You gotta get off the line to use the speed, so thus while not "NFL fast" guys like Fitz and Boldin are deep threats cause they are off the line in a blink, down the field, and can out physical the DB for a deep ball.

But I digress. Enter the extremely fast, quick and productive Markus Wheaton. Guy is a burner, as well as a extremely quick and agile ankle breaker. Used on a lot of short passes, and screens, but can also be told to stretch the field. Produced for Oregon State consistently. The Cardinals like him, and would be drafted to take Andre Robert's place next year.

3 - Terron Armstead: G/T
I haven't seen Armstead's name too much in many mocks for the Cardinals. I have no idea why. With all the talk around Lane Johnson's athleticism, and versatility why not Armstead in the 3rd round ? Armstead is very raw, but the athleticism is there. He can play a zone blocking scheme and thrive in it. Having size and speed for the position. He can come in and play guard right away, and with his potential may come into play at tackle. The question of what the Cardinals game plan will be could be shown with this pick. If they are looking to go zone blocking, then Armstead is a very nice pickup, even if they already have Cooper, or Lane Johnson.

3 - Brian Schwenke: OC
My favorite pick in the ASFN mock. The human ice box has good smarts, good quickness, and good technique. Obviously, has the frame to put on weight and power. Needs to work on those legs. Yes, Lyle Sendlein is not getting a second contract, and may not see the end of his current one. I question whether Schwenke can play guard, in order to get him on the field day 1, but he will be a good center in the league. Power and strength can be gained, but having smarts, and technique out of the gate is where he has great value. Though I never have room for him in my mocks, his name is always on the lists I use to determine them.

3A - Nick Kasa: TE
See Above

3B - Barrett Jones: C/GT
Jones will be there in the 3rd round. He has a few red flags. Injury prone, and has not as athletic as teams would like to see. Yet, how can you pass up a player that has the versatility that Jones possesses. He is at worst a utility man in the NFL, playing center, or guard, or tackle need be. He is a winner, and has a great attitude. If he has the work ethic and smarts to match it, he could be a steal. He could work his way into the guard position day 1, but would make the roster over a player like Senio Kelemete. A risk pick, but when you are making a risky pick with a gained draft pick, I find at least, it easier to take said risk.

Round 4 Picks

My Mock:
Another coaches decision. But, this one is easy. Do we need a strong safety or a free safety ? My divide here is that I like Shaun Williams because he has really good speed, and Todd Bowles likes that in his safeties if the players he coached in the past are any indication. Williams is being billed as a strong safety but I don't buy it. To me I see more of a cover safety. Yet, very unpolished. His speed is great but he is a project, and thus will be there at #4. But, if the Cardinals are looking for a strong safety then TJ MacDonald is the guy. More of a leader, and a big hitter. He is going to come down into the pox, and play the run. Again, will need time to develop, but has good height, good weight and while not as good in coverage is a better tackler then Williams will be against the bigger backs in the NFL. Just matters on what the Cardinals staff is looking for.

Again, here comes the draft wildcards. If Landry Jones falls to the 4th round then I think the Cardinals are crazy for not drafting him. At worse he becomes the back up for life. Again, a more polished John Skelton type of QB. Has a big arm, and has lots of experience at the position. Jones' biggest red flag is his mental toughness. Seems to fall apart when things start going bad. Will need to work on accuray, footwork, and reading defenses. As for Matt Scott, he doesn't seem to fit the Arians mold of QB. Scott shows good athleticism, and has been rising quickly up draft boards. Unlike Landry Jones, I feel a selection of Matt Scott is for depth at the position. I never bought into the thinking that "few QBs last 16 games" but it has been proven a valued philosophy throughout Whiz's tenure. The debacle of only having 2 QB's on the roster, Anderson/Skelton/Hall, Kolb/Skelton/Lindley. Yes, I have learned my lesson, thus Matt Scott makes sense to be drafted as a back-up for life. Scott would need a LOT of work. But, has a big arm, likes to stay in the pocket, yet has the ability to make plays with his feet, which is a good asset to a back up QB, IMO. Again, up to the coaches on that one.

4 - Kiki Alonso: ILB
The Cardinals are looking for another ILBer. From the interviews they have had with players, and the players they have been bringing in for workouts, has been pointing to it. Washington, Brinkley, and Walker are who are penciled in. Thus another SILBer is in order. Enter Kiki Alonso. He is listed at 6'3" and 238lbs, but can fit more onto that frame. Good all around player, and has experience playing in a 3-4 defense. Can cover, and has value as a nickle linebacker right out of the gate. Seems like a player the Cardinals wouldn't take from this draft, but he could be the surprise pick in the 4th or if he drops even further.

4 - D.J. Swearinger: FS
Now for the pick I dislike the most in the ASFN draft. Just not a fan of the player. I don't think he will hold up in the NFL, and was underwhelmed by what I saw. He is going to have to be a free safety in the NFL because he is not a force against the run, not in the NFL, not with the size of the backs he will face. Furthermore, tho he has skill in coverage his height will be an issue against the bigger TE's he will see, and the taller wide receivers. Not to mention he may not be there with the 4th round pick. Just not a fan.

See Above.

Round 5 Picks

My Mock:
5 - A.J. Klein: ILB
Has been on my radar since the beginning, but I have never had a place for him. It is the 5th round and Klein offers a 2-down SILB that can come in immediately and can play special teams with his 4.65 speed. Klein tackles players well, and plays well against the run, fits the profile for a SILB at 6'1" 250lbs, is a leader, and should be there in the 5th round. He fits right into the ILB'ers currently on the roster, and would back up Jasper Brinkley.

He can fall this far in the draft. Mathieu has MAJOR, MAJOR red flags associated with him. We are talking a 1st round talent but with serious off field issues, too many to list, just look up his name on google. If Mathieu is there in the 5th round the Cardinals will take him, heck they may take him sooner. If Mathieu behaves and give no problems off the field, then on the field you gain a tremendous players. Throw all the combine stats, his physical stature, and all that out the window. Tyrann Mathieu is a fantastic football player. He just makes plays, consistently. If you liked Michael Adams then this guy is the king of small stature, high effort players. Oh, did I mention he is a special teams demon, and can play safety ? Huge boom or bust player.

5 - David Quessenberry: G/C
The best way to describe David Quessenberry is he is the poor man's Jonathan Cooper. David Quessenberry is a very good athlete that can play guard or center, thus could have extremely good value as a future center. He needs to put on weight, needs to be a little more polished, and is not the athlete Cooper is. Yet, as a fifth round pick (he may be gone by then) he has great value. I would not expect to see much of him year one, but he would find a place on the line at guard or center in 2014, and if this team has more zone blocking he would thrive in that scheme as a guard or center, tho could be a good center in any system, IMO.

5 - Marcus Lattimore: RB**
Marcus Lattimore is trying to pull off a Frank Gore/Willis McGahee. He suffered a horrible leg injury in college, but is selling the fact he will be back to his old self. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It is a risk, and a risk at running back, which if running back was a stock on Wall Street it has been crashing for 3 seasons now. Lattimore has injured BOTH knees in two seasons, his skills are of the vein of Arian Foster, whom in my personally opinion doesn't have a step to lose in the NFL. Not really a fan of choosing Lattimore. Not so much that I don't think he has skills, cause I do think he does, but there are too many other running backs that will be available in the later rounds, and even as free agents that will be a wiser choice. Yet, if he comes back, and it all works out, we could be staring at a starting caliber back.

5A - AJ Klein: ILB
See Above

See Above. Was split on Mathieu or Murray,RB.

Round 6 Picks

My Mock:
6 - Garrett Gilkey: G/T, or J.C. Tretter: G/T [Coaches Decision]
Garrett Gilkey is a versatile, athletic, small school offensive lineman. He has a closet of trophies for his college play, where he played multiple sports on campus. When all is said and done Gilkey was the starting LT for his college and is a very good all around athlete. A great depth signing who as best becomes a starting guard, and at worse is your utility backup lineman who has the athleticism for guard, and the experience of a tackle. Enter J.C. Tretter, who was a four year starter at Cornell at tackle. He is comparable to Gilkey but is not the athlete Gilkey is. Yet, Tretter is smarter, and has more ability to play tackle in my opinion. Where Gilkey could be a starting guard if he reaches his potential, I think Tretter would have a tougher time becoming a start, yet would provide better depth then Gilkey because Tretter would be better at the tackle position if called upon. No to mention, I can speculate, that Tretter may have what it takes to learn the center position. Again, let the coaches decide.

Mitch beat me in throwing this name up onto the board. The Cardinals have talked to Murray, and the more you look at what he brings to the table, the more sense it makes. He may not be well known, but his skill may not make him available in the 6th round. 6'3", 223lbs and 4.4 speed. Fits the mold right ? His name jumped on the scene at Central Florida's pro day. Murray has everything you ask for skill wise, but there is a reason he is a 6th round prospect. He is raw and needs time to better his football skills. Bruce Arians likes every down backs, and the natural abilities, and physical stature of Murray gives him that potential. He is coming off a shoulder injury.

6 - Earl Wolff: FS
First off, NFL.com compares him to Yeremiah Bell, so right away you are talking about a player that fits a Todd Bowles system. Again, listed as a SS, but he is going to be a free safety. A poor man's D.J. Swearinger, undersized tweener of a safety. But, has great speed, and can keep up with faster players. Plays good in space. Has some issues tackling bigger running backs. Yet, has the speed to start off and play special teams, and learn from Yeremiah Bell whose game his game mirrors the most.

TBA

See below in the "Now for Something Different" section. Again for this mock this is where he fits, IMO. He is a good prospect and may not make it to the 7th round. He may not be there in the 6th, but he probably will be, IMO.

Round 7 Picks

My Mock:
7 - Vaughn Telemaque: SS
Last time I did a serious mock, we didn't have a 7th round pick, and we didn't have Carson Palmer. The Cardinals really need some safety depth, and Telemaque is a good prospect. He has good size, good tackling ability, and shows some decent range for a safety. I have seen his 40 time go between 4.6 and 4.7. He was a free safety in college but his value would be as a strong safety for his tackling ability. Could play ST from day one if he makes the roster.

Drafted in baseball three times Magee is a very good athlete who will drop in the draft because of his Achilles injury he suffered in college. The Cardinals need an ILB, and Magee is a got pick to make the roster if chosen. He will play on special teams day one. He reminds me of Reggie Walker. A little undersized, good speed, and plays bigger then his stature. Being from Arizona State the Cardinals will know what where his health is at. Magee could come in and where he plays, WILB, or SILB will matter on the need at the time. Yet, will fit into a role with the current roster, in my opinion.

I really like Michael Williams who was on my original mock draft. He is a great blocker, to where he can be almost viewed as a 6th lineman, and that was how he was used in Alabama. Can catch a pass here or there. Think Bear Pascoe who came out a few years ago. Williams would be on the field day one as a blocker, and a year or two in the NFL could help him be more of a threat in the passing game, but in the end, if you are drafting a player like this, who cares if he can catch and produce in the passing game, he is here to block, and do so with a dominant ability to do so. Williams versus a smaller quicker DE or linebackers is a win for Williams more times then not.

TBA

7 - Derrick Washington, HB
See below in "My Mock" for UDFA. In this case I pick him cause he fits as the pick in relation to how this mock went. If he is liked by the Cardinals, and myself why not lock him up as the 7th pick ?

Round Top UDFA Picks

My Mock:
UDFA - Derrick Washington, HB
Derrick Washington. 6'0" 225lbs, 4.6 speed. Is pretty middle of the road. But, his production has not been middle of the road. Was the center piece of his offense at school, and thrived on it. A good all around back that can return kick offs, and play some special teams. Washington may be drafted since there are a lot of teams looking at him. Even if he doesn't get drafted, he still needs to be signed as a UDFA. I see Washington as an improvement on Alfonso Smith as the 4th RB for the Cardinals.

UDFA - Dan Buckner, WR
Another local player. Big bodied receiver at 6'4" and 215 lbs, with pretty good speed, 4.5. Some analysts have him a mid round prospect. But off the field issues, and some other flags, blocking, hands, route running may have him free fall. I don't see him someone worth a draft pick, but the Cardinals have talked to him this offseason.

UDFA - James Wilson, OG
Sometimes things just work against you. Wilson was held in high regard out of highschool. Knee injuries, weight issues, and multiple problems just got in the way of his college career. He is a big bodied guard, formed in what many would like in a power game. Wilson is not ready to call it quits, and has the skill to play. Worth bringing into camp, and seeing where his skill level is standing. If he shows the skills that won him national acclaim, he could be a candidate for a player you find a reason to put on IR, and then give him a year's worth of NFL training. For a UDFA that would come ultra-cheap, he is a great boom/bust change to take.

UDFA - Jose Jose, NT
Yeah, he is here because of his name. But, if I had to make an argument for the guy, then here it is. He is a backup NT, and can be stored on the practice squad. The Cardinals went to his pro day (not to see him tho). Big guy who cannot move, or be moved.

UDFA - Baker Steinkuhler, DE
6'6" and 290lbs is a good prospect for a 3-4 defensive end. Could turn into a good depth guy for DE. Put him on the practice squad and see if he can be part of the depth in 2014. He has shown good technique, smarts, and athleticism. Sounds like a good depth prospect to me.

That is it. I am done till after the draft. I want to see my mock be the mock of course, but as this post shows, the possibilities are endless, and there is talent to be had all over the draft.....like all drafts no matter what you hear each year.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wheres Mitch's Mock or My Mock (which wasnt the best but still kicked ass)? Or the 20 others thatve been floating around here?

Not much of an extravaganza until the field has all the horses present.

From the choices there, suprisingly, I really like the ASFN Mock.

Chance,
Okafor
Schwenke
DJ Swearinger

If we got these 4 guys, then the draft would be a homerun already. Lattimore is a great project pick, and we dont even know who the final 2 picks will be yet. Could pull a gem.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But how is possible that arians and keim s mock doesnt have a puss rusher .they both said pass rusher is a priority

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
But how is possible that arians and keim s mock doesnt have a puss rusher .they both said pass rusher is a priority

Good point. I dunno.

I only know of two pass rushers the Cardinals have talked to. Ansah, and Jordan. Yet, for some reason, the buzz has been Lane Johnson at #7. I don't like it personally, but that is what I hear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wheres Mitch's Mock or My Mock (which wasnt the best but still kicked ass)? Or the 20 others thatve been floating around here?

Not much of an extravaganza until the field has all the horses present.

Sorry. Only presenting my horses in this post. Except for the ASFN mock, which was added primarily so I could talk about Brian Schwenke, these are all mocks that I made based on my thoughts and philosophies.

I enjoy, respect, and agree with everyone's mocks that they put up. But, I wasn't going to list them all. This post took long enough.

I know I cannot edit the poll, but feel free to add any mocks to the post you would like.

From the choices there, suprisingly, I really like the ASFN Mock.

Chance,
Okafor
Schwenke
DJ Swearinger

If we got these 4 guys, then the draft would be a homerun already. Lattimore is a great project pick, and we dont even know who the final 2 picks will be yet. Could pull a gem.

No doubt. The ASFN poll mock is turning out well this year. Thus I added it because it brought some players to the table that I would not have done. Just wish we had the 6th and 7th round pick

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's all a mystery to me, but consider the following.

If Lane Johnson is the pick the Cards may try to trade Levi to one of the tackle needy teams.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good point. I dunno.

I only know of two pass rushers the Cardinals have talked to. Ansah, and Jordan. Yet, for some reason, the buzz has been Lane Johnson at #7. I don't like it personally, but that is what I hear.

But many "experts" truly believe that lane johnson has good chance to have a better career then the other 2 tackle s...i saw last years players being selected by arizonw without being apparently contacted by scout or invited for a workout

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely want Jose Jose as an UDFA pick if for no other reason than the inevitable song we'll hear from the stands.

Rug - If I was stuck for 50 years on Devil's Island with nothing to do, I'd want you along to come up with new creative ways to fill the time.

(Note - One summer at the beach, my brother and his son created a totally fictitious baseball league, complete with invented players, bios and stats).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good read but I really like the way this ASFN draft is turning out I really want Warmack in the first, Jarvis jones is the only guy I'd pass on him for

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you have Nick Kasa as going anywhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. If he's there in the 5th, why not take a better 3rd round choice in those mocks?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
PSS - I appreciate the compliments on "hard work and time" but they are not needed. I do this because I enjoy it, so please, the best complement I can receive is for you to rip this to shreds and tell me how wrong I am! :D

Wow, that was a lot of crap to delete! Oh and your dead wrong....lol......how was that? :p

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Whiz Rule #3 - Its a balance. The draft cannot be all or nothing. You don't pick Michael Floyd because you think he is the BPA, when he doesn't help your team. Michael Floyd is not Adrian Peterson, Patrick Peterson, or a Joe Thomas. He is not an elite player at the top of the draft. I still cannot fathom how the Cardinals justify bringing in a player that had no chance to help the team. He was the BPA ? OK, fine, I will buy that. But, he was not the BPA for the Cardinals in 2012. You have to have some balance, and game plan for your picks once all the elite, stud players in a draft are gone.

Who would you have drafted last yr, DeCastro?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Cooper - How good is Cooper ? I have been touting Warmack for months, and based on what I have learned he HAS TO enter the conversation. If the Arizona Cardinals are going to a stretch/zone blocking scheme then they should be diving to the podium to pick Cooper. He is a Mike Shanahan dream. He does everything a zone blocking offensive lineman needs to do, and well. He is athletic and a finesse player, which is far from a bad thing. He knows 10 ways to get a job done. He will be really strong on pulls, and in the screen game. The biggest minus ? He is not the powerhouse Warmack is, and it will take awhile for him to be able to "keep the pocket", and on power running, I am worried we will see more of what we saw last year with our pulling guard getting stood up in the running lane. Yet, the biggest plus with Cooper is what Warmack doesn't have. The ability to play center. Jonathan Cooper is a great guard in a zone blocking system, but is a great center for ANY system. If Cooper is the student of the game that I have read he is, then he can be groomed for center, and a center that can pull, and do many things with this athleticism is a big advantage in the NFL. The Hall of Fame is FULL of centers that were not only smart, but really athletic.

Couldn't agree more. I think Cooper would fit the bill fantastic here. And yes starting out as a Center! I think he could be All-Pro very soon. Redefine the position and interior of the Cardinals line. He could actually probably play multiple positions during the year depending on match ups as well. Flip flop him and Snyder when facing a particularly big NT. I think he'd fit real nice.
And if we did trade down with Miami, I think there's a big chance he'd be there waiting.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you have Nick Kasa as going anywhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. If he's there in the 5th, why not take a better 3rd round choice in those mocks?
Hindsight is 20-20. When you're drafting in the 3rd, you can't know in advance that Kasa will still be there in the 5th. If you like him that much, you may not want to risk losing him.

(Note - there are really 2 different "boards." (1) Players ranked by the way you like them and (2) Players ranked by how you think other teams like them. You can predict Board #1 (because it's your board). Predicting Board #2 is more problematic because you have to accurately forecast how each of the 31 other NFL feel about each draft prospect. This could conceivably cause a team to overdraft a prospect out of fear of losing him).

Last edited:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20-20. When you're drafting in the 3rd, you can't know in advance that Kasa will still be there in the 5th. If you like him that much, you may not want to risk losing him.

(Note - there are really 2 different "boards." (1) Players ranked by the way you like them and (2) Players ranked by how you think other teams like them. You can predict Board #1 (because it's your board). Predicting Board #2 is more problematic because you have to accurately forecast how each of the 31 other NFL feel about each draft prospect. This could conceivably cause a team to overdraft a prospect out of fear of losing him).

good point. But I assumed the variables in the draft weren't going to vary enough to justify the difference from round 3 to round 5

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesnt mean too much official visit or workout.cause i dont see an offensive lineman on the list right now

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
(Note - One summer at the beach, my brother and his son created a totally fictitious baseball league, complete with invented players, bios and stats).

I have not done it in years but my favorite, favorite, favorite thing to do in Madden football is play the franchise mode, and draft & build teams for the 30 years the game will allow.

12 years into it, there is not a real player left. Quite fun, but an absolute time killer.

What is worse, a friend of mine, and myself still talk about some of the fictitious players that came and went...........goodness that is sad. Funny but sad.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Yeah that is mock drafting for you. If you compare where I have players to where Mitch has players going, it will really get crazy.

Nick Kasa in the 5th is based on the ASFN draft, and I noted in MWood's poll I think Kasa doesn't make it out of the 3rd, thus why in my mock I have him going in the 3rd, and the ASFN has him in the 5th.

Where he will actually go ? Who knows. Just remember Bobby Massie was a late 1st round pick for many. He ends up going in the 5th. Then there is Bruce Irvin who was at best a 3rd round pick last year......ends up being Seattle's first round pick.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Who would you have drafted last yr, DeCastro?

DeCastro, Cordy Glenn, or the player who I liked right off the bat, Dont'a Hightower.

I liked Dont'a Hightower last season, and I should have just stated it, and stuck by it.

Hightower would have been more valuable to the Cardinals in the long run then Michael Floyd.

I didn't like Floyd from the beginning and have no idea why he was drafted. He is ours now so I hope for Floyd to explode onto the scene this year......we will see.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
good point. But I assumed the variables in the draft weren't going to vary enough to justify the difference from round 3 to round 5

It is ridiculous, to be honest, when you try to justify where a player is going to go.

You have a billion draft sights and they all say something different.

Then what is worse, you go to make your mock, and you are trying to decide between two players in the same round, and in the back of your head you don't even know if they are going to be rated in the same round, or later, or earlier, or at all........I dunno.

I think Mitch does it the best when it comes to creating a value on a player. I am WAY more conservative than Mitch and admit I try to keep it close to what respected draft guys value players at. Mitch has HIS values for players, and makes his mocks accordingly. They may seem crazy, or false but that is ridiculous to think. No one knows how these drafts will go. NOBODY. Thus it is unneeded to judge someones value of a player.

You can say, "I think he won't be there that round", or "You may be able to take that player later". But, past that, one mans 1st round pick is another man's undrafted free agent.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gotta say Im a little suprised and disappointed the Arians/Keim draft is doing so well in the poll

UDFA - Dan Buckner, WR

1. I cant fathom taking LJ and #7. If we were to combine the drafts of this year and last year, LJ would be the 6th best LT. Thats incredible to me. Its also a mega-reach-need. Because LJ is not in the same stratosphere as Warmack or even Cooper. Just because hes a LT, that says hes a better pick than an elite guard? No way

2. I think hes extremely overrated, although I know alot of people like him. I prefer Swearinger in the 3rd round, because we could use round 2 on Okafor or Warford. Both Much better talents.

3. I know we go by BPA, but WR might be the last thing we need on this team. Round 3 is too valuable to blow on a position we have an excess of talent already.

4. Love Matt Scott. Hate Landry Jones.

5. Mathieu, if there, could be a great pick.

7 - Brandon Magee - thats just a wasted pick. Hes not an NFL player. Id rather use that pick on a QB and hope for a Tom Brady 199'er. Or on the fastest guy on the board, or the strongest, etc. and just cross your fingers. Late round RB's can be extremely valuable if you get lucky.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Gotta say Im a little suprised and disappointed the Arians/Keim draft is doing so well in the poll

UDFA - Dan Buckner, WR

1. I cant fathom taking LJ and #7. If we were to combine the drafts of this year and last year, LJ would be the 6th best LT. Thats incredible to me. Its also a mega-reach-need. Because LJ is not in the same stratosphere as Warmack or even Cooper. Just because hes a LT, that says hes a better pick than an elite guard? No way

2. I think hes extremely overrated, although I know alot of people like him. I prefer Swearinger in the 3rd round, because we could use round 2 on Okafor or Warford. Both Much better talents.

3. I know we go by BPA, but WR might be the last thing we need on this team. Round 3 is too valuable to blow on a position we have an excess of talent already.

4. Love Matt Scott. Hate Landry Jones.

5. Mathieu, if there, could be a great pick.

7 - Brandon Magee - thats just a wasted pick. Hes not an NFL player. Id rather use that pick on a QB and hope for a Tom Brady 199'er. Or on the fastest guy on the board, or the strongest, etc. and just cross your fingers. Late round RB's can be extremely valuable if you get lucky.

Dude, SERIOUSLY, how can one use the word love and hate for a couple of mid round QBS...especially when the one you hate has more production than the potential of the one you love :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard