Devin Booker future extension

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the whole picture - did my 1000 word explanation not convey that or something?!

See Ingram, Brandon who I’ve mentioned a few times in this thread for evidence.

Did the points people have made over and over outside of PER not?!

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did the points people have made over and over outside of PER not?!

That obviously wasn’t the apparently highly controversial angle that needed explaining over and over again to various posters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And I was a little too on the fence with my 1000 word fully comprehensive post having reread it this morning - he deserves the max, even though I’ll state for the 50th time I’ve never said otherwise.

It’s always good to delve behind the hype though as I don’t think people here would have believed that Booker’s 2pt% is in the bottom one third of the league and that Kristaps Porzongis is a better 3pt shooter than him.

Truth hurts I guess.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That obviously wasn’t the apparently highly controversial angle that needed explaining over and over again to various posters.

I don’t think much else was controversial.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t think much else was controversial.

We're 14 pages in and I started this on page 3 nearly a month ago - Phrazbit still won't admit that Booker's stats don't tie in with his personal assessment of him ("not only is he a good shooter, he's HISTORICALLY good") so take it up with him!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're 14 pages in and I started this on page 3 nearly a month ago - Phrazbit still won't admit that Booker's stats don't tie in with his personal assessment of him ("not only is he a good shooter, he's HISTORICALLY good") so take it up with him!

To be fair you still overemphasize PER so there is that.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m probably a little guilty of it by virtue of the fact that I can’t watch most games but surely you can see that I’ve deep dived behind the crude PER number, right?

1. His crude PER number is decent, as phrazbit pointed out.

2. When looking at his PPG however, there’s a huge gap between this and his PER.

While scoring (and number of shots taken to score) doesn’t = PER, it is the biggest driver of it so the question is why the big gap (by far and away the biggest gap out of the top 50 scorers in the league)?

3. The answer is his poor 2pt% and only decent 3pt%.

None of this suggests he’s a historically great shooter, as Phrazbit would like to believe, and it indicates quite clearly that he’s a relatively inefficient player (E standing for Efficiency in PER), not least because he also records a reasonably high number of assists.

PER isn’t perfect but it’s telling me enough that a tire kick on Booker before giving him the max is not a dumb idea even though we all see the potential there. But potential is just a word and stats are ‘facts’, as misleading as they can be sometimes.

Now please stop replying to my posts so I can leave this thread for good [emoji4]

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh my god... let it go. I gave you his comparison at the same age/experience against a bunch of all-stars and some of the best guards of all time. Sorry if you're either too lazy to read or you don't comprehend your own stats you keep tossing around.

You're the guy who seems to think only 2 players are worthy of max deals in the entire league. Don't call anyone else out of touch.

Cheers

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh my god... let it go. I gave you his comparison at the same age/experience against a bunch of all-stars and some of the best guards of all time. Sorry if you're either too lazy to read or you don't comprehend your own stats you keep tossing around.

You're the guy who seems to think only 2 players are worthy of max deals in the entire league. Don't call anyone else out of touch.

Cheers

For the record:

1. Experience against a bunch of all stars doesn't mean anything; you need to confirm your statement that he's "great historically" against ALL players because that's what it means.

2. But as you can't you've gone angry man and:

- accused me of being lazy which is both false, as I'm the most invested in this thread, and hypocritical; you said I was unclear about his 2pt% being the focus of discussion and I showed you 7 times where this had occurred (oh boy i'm going to love reminding you of this one, champ ;) )

- are now just making stuff up, that LBJ and Durant are max worthy only...sure bro, whatever you say (because you won't find one instance where I've said Booker doesn't deserve it in this thread).

And I'll let it go once people stop replying to this thread (seems you quite like replying, eh?)

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Interesting - so what do we do, pay him a huge one year salary?

I personally wouldn’t go for that in view of boogie.

So maybe he might agree to less than the max for a three or four year contract if doesn’t like that idea?

Possible I guess.

Or can we structure his contract to be back end weighted maybe?

Maybe the best option?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. It would not mean any less money for Booker than if we signed the extension this summer. It still does not kick in until 2019. It’s just waiting till the last minute gives an opportunity to fiddle with the cap and get an extra $10 million to sign a free agent.

I could see asking Booker to do it and providing a great big insurance policy for the injury risk.

Whatever the case, Booker has to be on board.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So we what, exercise our 4th year option with no big contract technically offered, but offer it as soon as we can (any idea when that is?) ... and that gap in the interim we do what for insurance?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see Booker going for this, if it helps the Suns put a winning team around him. If there are any doubts on his part, you just offer him the deal and work from there.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I could see Booker going for this, if it helps the Suns put a winning team around him. If there are any doubts on his part, you just offer him the deal and work from there.
There is no way he is for it. There is no insurance for waiting another year to sign your first big contract. He could easily have a bad injury next year and the Suns would be well within their right to not feel comfortable offering up big money anymore.

That being said it could be possible that the team themselves decide to wait a year, but that would give Booker the chance to shop a bit in free agency and they might now want to go down that road.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Is there a financial incentive for Booker waiting another season? If so I can see it.

However, the Suns should offer the max this summer and see what Booker and his agent want.

Booker should make the final decision. The Suns should never take the cheap road. He is the cornerstone of the franchise.

Also the Suns should be a much better team next season regardless.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Is there a financial incentive for Booker waiting another season? If so I can see it.

However, the Suns should offer the max this summer and see what Booker and his agent want.

Booker should make the final decision. The Suns should never take the cheap road. He is the cornerstone of the franchise.

Also the Suns should be a much better team next season regardless.
If the cap goes up more than anticipated it would make the contract bigger. Though it is not expected to make a major jump from what I understand.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If the cap goes up more than anticipated it would make the contract bigger. Though it is not expected to make a major jump from what I understand.

This is what I am wondering... if there was a significant advantage to waiting.

The Suns should put the max offer on the table and let Booker and his agent decide.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No fiddling or trying to be smart with the cap. You sign that man to the max extension the second you are able to.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No fiddling or trying to be smart with the cap. You sign that man to the max extension the second you are able to.

agreed. This FO hasn't done anything to acquire the necessary goodwill and confidence of Booker to put off his financial future and asking him to do so in any way shape or form, probably only leaves him with a bad taste in his mouth... and will look AWFUL to anyone outside of the team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It should also be considered that the earlier you sign him the less percentage of the cap he will take up in the future as the cap rises. Booker getting 25% of next year’s cap may be closer to 20% of the cap in a few years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think they'll wait to give Booker the max. They could have done a similar sort of deal with Warren this year but they didn't. It's different with Booker because he will get a max deal but they could have waited to give TJ his extension until this summer and had more cap space available because his extension wouldn't be on the books yet, only his cap hold, which would be much lower than his salary will be.

If they do wait with Booker I'd worry too much about him changing his mind, especially since there could be turnover in the front office if there isn't improved play this coming season. You'd think the next GM would make signing Booker a priority but who knows how Booker would view a change like that. The advantage to waiting isn't that much, especially when the alternative could mean Booker decides he wants out and isn't locked into a contract.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I'll let it go once people stop replying to this thread (seems you quite like replying, eh?)

You called me out specifically and now you're giving me crap for replying? I'm not angry... I'm more astounded at how totally out of touch you are with the realities of this league... and the hilarious level of hypocrisy you show in what you expect posters to present in arguments.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh brother - Phrazbit, you’re wrong, you’re a liar and you’re behaving like a childish a$$hole.

Shut. Up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn