Deone Bucannon - Cardinals 1st round pick!

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 stats (and yes you can throw stats out the window and say they lie and move on your merry way lol)

Calvin Pryor 75 tackles and three picks
Ha Ha Clinto-Dix 51 tackles and two picks on a great defense
and Bucannon playing on a crap defense 114 tackles and six picks

How far downfield? Clean up tackles after big gains?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I know we want to put a positive spin on it, but to quote a Tucson newspaper on a defensive player is a huge stretch. Better than a a UA safety for sure, best in the PAC-12 maybe, NFL first round pick no way.

Solid second round pick, good third round pick. But I promise Keim was betting against himself. Too much emphasis on Kam Chancellor and Donte Whitner's film against us.

I endorse this evaluation.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so we traded down gambling that a guy would slide.........but he didn't....so BASK got scared and screwed the pooch on national television....

every projection had this guy going mid to late second round at best.....he would have been a great pick at 52.....

rumor was floating that Cleveland wanted back into the first....if this guy was gonna be the pick,.....just trade it to them for the third pick in the second round,...and,..hell I dunno....a new janitor for the team facility maybe??

and not only that....but we got two things for trading out of 20.... JACK...and ****!!...was it Minne?? I think,....who got more than us just to drop one single slot??

whoever runs this board needs to BAN SK right damned now.....dude has been reading y'all climbing all over his jock so much he is starting to believe his own hype...

Good rant. :D

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reaction seems directly proportionate to whether one has seen him play. Those who have like the pick, those who haven't don't.

I have seen him play. Love to watch Mike Leach' offense. Wouldn't pay a dime to watch Mike Leach's defense.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying I dislike the player. I dislike taking him at 27. People have said we got our Kam Chancellor. Seattle got their Kam Chancellor in round 5. I'm sure Buchanon was the next safety on their board, after Pryor, I seriously doubt he was overall highest BPA on their board.

In the box safeties that are mainly hitters are limited in today's NFL. Sure, he's a hard hitter. How is that going to change the first time he gets flagged/fined for hitting an "unprotected" player? The NFL is legislating that type of player out of the league.

Agree. This copycat league is so predictable. Those player safety calls are only going to become more common and decrease the value of "hard hitting" safeties. In the seeking competitive balance NFL arena the Seahawks are in for a rude awakening when the flags start flying on them next year. Copying their style may be a not so good thing.

BTW, is it a bit premature to label Keim and Arians as genius after their rookie year?

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim said the Cardinals liked Bucannon’s “size, speed, physicality” as a better fit at safety than Alabama’s Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, who was still available when the Cards came on the clock at 20. Keim made the trade, hoping Bucannon – who was expected to be a late first or second-round choice – would remain available.

There were more chances to move back at 27, but this time, the Cardinals stayed put.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...Bucannon/336ee687-c326-406e-b8d6-cf916f2bfb1d

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think that the Cards could have called Cleveland and got a better pick or a 5th added to the mix making it a more even trade.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Some thoughts for those who care...

1-Facts are that when you have a deep draft, your rankings get clumped together. In those cases, you tend to prioritize tiers of players and you want to make sure you grab the players whose tiers end fastest. The S position was about 4-5 legit players deep.

2-agree with it or not, we play in a physical division, value physical play and stature, and took the S who fit the mold the best in this entire draft. He is the biggest hitter. He makes the most plays. He is one of the longest S's in the draft. THis all includes Dix, Ward and Pryor.

3-We drafted a playmaker. One of the areas that stood out with Bucannon for me is his ability to make plays. Over 4 years he had 15 ints and 7 forced fumbles. I am a believer that the ability to force turnovers is a huge indicator of instincts and overall in-game awareness. That means that while in the thick of the action of a game, Bucannon is instinctive enough and aware enough to target the ball rather than just man. That is a big plus.

Despite what some may say about watching Bucannon, I came away impressed. He was the only legitimate playmaker on a poor defense and still was able to make plays despite teams working away from him. He was the most physical safety in the draft class IMO and had some of the best measurables. Would I have loved to get him 10 spots lower? Sure, but if I know there is a huge drop off in talent at S after Bucannon, Ward and Brooks, yuo don't risk missing out on the S you want.

We wanted to add length at S to help cover TEs...got it.

We wanted a physical presence in the middle of our defense...got it.

We wanted speed to cover...got it.

We value playmakers on defense...got it.

Don't know why folks are quibbling about getting a guy who is an exact fit at a position of need who also allowed us to net an extra 3rd round pick. We essentially drafted Adrian Wilson with more developed coverage skills at this stage.

Chopper I am glad to see someone else here who understands the pick. He is exactly what the defense lacked. I guess a lot of people here quickly forgot that Bowles wants a defense that creates turnovers and makes impact plays. Bucannon fits the bill. If some of the pundits had compared Bucannon to Adrian Wilson they would have been throwing flowers at his feet. He may never be named to a Pro Bowler. All I care about is he can start and be part of the defense for a long time and have an impact in games that make a difference in the outcome.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The very first sentence, Keim basically says they went with need. That's fine but I don't want to hear them preaching BPA no matter what anymore. Compares him to 3rd round pick Adrian Wilson.

Adrian, if I recall, was a third round corner that was turned into a safety. He's comparing him to what he became, not what he was coming out.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
My friend, an Eagles fan, was hoping they picked Bucannon in the spot before us. I almost feel bad for him as he has been singing Deone's praises for a couple weeks now but he had the grace to call me and congratulate all of us Cards fans.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Highlight videos are terrible ways to evaluate players--only the highlights? 80% of his snaps could be UDFA quality and he'd still have an amazing reel.

This is my only concern right now. The Cards haven't been able to draft a quality pass rusher in years. Will they be able to find one later in this deep draft?

Reaction score
One thing I just read that I didn't think about earlier is that their is a huge drop off in talent at the safety position after Bucannon and Ward. Well Ward was taken at #30 for the 49ers. There is still plenty of good talent at LB and DE in later rounds. Could the Cards have traded back again and gotten more picks and still landed Bucannon? Maybe. Or Bucannon could be sitting on the 49ers or some other team right now.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
My friend, an Eagles fan, was hoping they picked Bucannon in the spot before us. I almost feel bad for him as he has been singing Deone's praises for a couple weeks now but he had the grace to call me and congratulate all of us Cards fans.
Jason La Canfora said the Eagles choice came down to Bucannon or the Louisville linebacker.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is my only concern right now. The Cards haven't been able to draft a quality pass rusher in years. Will they be able to find one later in this deep draft?

If you believe that after Barr went off the board that the rest group together, then we should. IMO, Ford, Smith, Lawrence, Attouchu and some others are all pretty close in overall grades. They obviously have different strengths/weaknesses but they are all pretty close. That being said, if Tuitt or Hageman is available around our next pick we may pull the trigger on one of them. My hope is we can get Attaochu in 2 and then Clarke in round 3.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This got me hooked, I will hang around for the rest of the draft. Then go back to creepy guy looking through the window just lurking status.

Can you just block whomever caused problems and stick around?

Deion says "Come on, man!"

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had nothing to do with people causing problems. Just need time for other things.

Joe nothing is more important than spending time posting on ASFN.
mondaynight.gif

I am going to pass your post count soon.

I think this thread has run its course but I hope to see you in others. Not much left to go in here.

LAst year when threads were made they also listed attributes, pros, cons and videos. Maybe I should take the reigns tonight.