Deone Bucannon - Cardinals 1st round pick!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like the pick. We needed a safety, and was able to trade down and get the best SS in the draft. The position has been a crazy one these past few years. In recent years it was seemingly an overlooked position, then all of a sudden it was a hot position.

I don't know this guy very much, but from what I've seen, he's 4.48 fast and lays the wood. Faster then Adub when he came out at 4.55. It is interesting he was the top performer at the combine for his position for pretty much everything.

I think we lucked into this pick to be honest. I believe this is the safety we needed, and I do think we outsmarted the other teams. The safety position was thin in the draft, and the strong variety was much thinner then the free. It appears this guy has 'it', and I love players who are just all over the field and make their presence known. His hits can be vicious.

He can cover, hit, blitz, and if he is your last line of defense when a big boy, say Marshawn Lynch has the ball, I feel confident he can bring him down. It seems he is a do-it-all strong safety, and while in a perfect world we could get him in the upper 2nd round and we draft him there by trading back again, I'm perfectly fine with picking him #27 after a single trade down netted us a 3rd round pick.

This is one helluva deep draft. A metric ton of talent is there imo. I can't wait to see what we pick up, and I wonder if Kiem has any plans to trade back today to pick up some early day 3 picks?

We came out of yesterday with the best SS by far and an extra 3rd round pick.

The guy also sure seemed thrilled to be picked by us, and is another team guy, which captains usually are. I also do love guys who have nothing around them and carry a squad on their shoulders. It's even possible that being so hung out to dry raised his error level. Now he'll be on a defense that is 10 levels above anything he ever played on, and I think this will put him in a better comfort zone where he doesn't have to press for everything with the weight of the entire defense on his shoulders. He can do that, but since he won't need to, I think his level of play increases just due to that.

I'll take it and smile. Bring on today!

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe nothing is more important than spending time posting on ASFN.
mondaynight.gif

I am going to pass your post count soon.

I think this thread has run its course but I hope to see you in others. Not much left to go in here.

LAst year when threads were made they also listed attributes, pros, cons and videos. Maybe I should take the reigns tonight.

Please do

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Well feeling a little better about the Bucannon pick this morning. I still think Keim's hand was forced a bit with the run on defensive backs (Wow, 9 in the first round!). He reminds me more of Dashon Goldson than Adrian Wilson or Kam Chancellor.

After re-watching some film and taking some time to evaluate.
PROS:
-Big hitter (best hitter among DB prospects hands down)
-Physical Specimen (6-1, 211), blazing speed
-Consistently causes turnovers
-Probably wasn't going to be available to us in the second due to the run on DB's

CONS:
-Doesn't always wrap up, goes for the big hit (hoping Honey Badger and DB coaches can improve here)
-Sometimes takes poor angles
-Really not that good in coverage. Ward, Pryor and Clinton-Dix were definitely better.

I think this could turn into a really good pick for the Cards. It is tough to evaluate him in college because the WSU defense was truly awful. Opposing offenses got into spread formations and rang up 40-50 points weekly. He was often asked to do way too much in college (deep safety and also run support against a 4 WR formation). I think he will be much more successful when used in a defined role. I think the Cards can do that with solid corners and good run stoppers up front.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jason La Canfora said the Eagles choice came down to Bucannon or the Louisville linebacker.

And he wasn't gonna get passed the Patriots or the Seahawks (pre trade).

I get he had a 2nd round grade, but he was one of the guys who was climbing up draft boards. Plus, the appeal that his game mirrors that of a fan favorite (AW) should make most fans pleased.

For me, I like the pick as it fills an immediate need and the guy will likely start Week 1. Wasn't in love with the linebackers on the board and sure as hell didn't want a QB.

My guess for today: LB, OL, project QB.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C-

How This Pick Could Go Terribly Wrong:

In coverage, he's lost—often. He's not as smooth an athlete as you like in the deep middle-third, nor does he have the elite straight-line speed to catch up to a receiver who's gotten behind him. Worst of all, I question whether he'll be able to cover the pass-catching tight ends (like Vernon Davis) that are catching on in the league.

This is an old-school strong safety in a new-school league. There's a place for that, but maybe not in the first round.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he wasn't gonna get passed the Patriots or the Seahawks (pre trade).

I get he had a 2nd round grade, but he was one of the guys who was climbing up draft boards. Plus, the appeal that his game mirrors that of a fan favorite (AW) should make most fans pleased.

For me, I like the pick as it fills an immediate need and the guy will likely start Week 1. Wasn't in love with the linebackers on the board and sure as hell didn't want a QB.

My guess for today: LB, OL, project QB.

Past.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Some of you guys don't understand the rankings and how to use them. Every team has to erase all the players in positions you don't need and then rank the rest. On top of that you rank them by position so you can see who the best players that are left are in those areas of greatest need.

The overall ratings you see on all those sites are just for entertainment purposes and are not objective, especially in regards to each club's future return with that player.

That is at least how I see it. But what do I know.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Some of you guys don't understand the rankings and how to use them. Every team has to erase all the players in positions you don't need and then rank the rest. On top of that you rank them by position so you can see who the best players that are left are in those areas of greatest need.

The overall ratings you see on all those sites are just for entertainment purposes and are not objective, especially in regards to each club's future return with that player.

That is at least how I see it. But what do I know.

Apparently not much, because if this were the case, the Cards never would have drafted Michael Floyd when they had a solid wide receiver group going into the 2012 draft.

You rank every player that you think will have value to your franchise, based on your evaluations and grades. I don't think we have Jimmy Jernigan or Will Sutton on our Top 120 board, because we don't have use for those players in our system. I don't think we ranked Eric Ebron, because we don't have use for him in our system. But because we have a nice three-deep depth chart at corner, I doubt we've erased every single cornerback from our Top 120 board.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add another voice to the pro-Bucannon choir. This morning on NFL AM during their "Round 1:Stretches and Steals" section, Terrell Davis named him as a positive pick. Called him a 10 year starter in this system.

Steve

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sir, are a total *******.

Bucannon and John Brown for basically John Brown (Cooks). Yeah, eat your crow and enjoy it.

Don't make me report you for calling a poster a *******.

Oh wait - you are calling yourself one?

Carry on :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards back to the WTF factor in the draft- anybody have him above late 2nd to 3rd round? besides Keim?

Minus Calvin Pace. Hope that 3rd rounder was worth it

So much for not drafting for need. Freaking terrible pick. 3rd round talent.

Very graves like get screwed in the trade and then draft a 3rd roundr

4th rounder according to at least 1 NFL team. Awful pick.

Wow you guys are gonna be wrong on this one. This is a great pick IMO and Mitch called it verbatim!

Read this article before you hate on this pick:

http://azstarnet.com/sports/footbal...cle_069df59e-fa0d-59a0-bbbb-314d5918e564.html

I love these draft threads :D (and that is just page one of this thread).

And got John Brown

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If He was BPA than our scouts and GM suck! I was so happy that Keim was close to main stream last year- we could have traded down twice more and got this guy, He is good but we couldn't trade him and the 3rd for players still left on the board! Tomorrow! IMO

So we basically just traded a 20th overall for two third rounders.

They definitely channeled Rod Graves for this one.

Wow. We give up Manziel for this guy. I thought we had a smart GM. I was wrong. I sure hope we do a hell of a lot better with the rest of our draft.

I think a whole lot of teams, and their fans, are going to rue this day they passed on Manziel.

Got shafted I the trade too should have got a least another 5th and maybe a 4th

so we traded down gambling that a guy would slide.........but he didn't....so BASK got scared and screwed the pooch on national television....

every projection had this guy going mid to late second round at best.....he would have been a great pick at 52.....

rumor was floating that Cleveland wanted back into the first....if this guy was gonna be the pick,.....just trade it to them for the third pick in the second round,...and,..hell I dunno....a new janitor for the team facility maybe??

and not only that....but we got two things for trading out of 20.... JACK...and ****!!...was it Minne?? I think,....who got more than us just to drop one single slot??

whoever runs this board needs to BAN SK right damned now.....dude has been reading y'all climbing all over his jock so much he is starting to believe his own hype...

i have fear the extra 3th round is for logan thomas

Also the same team that said Ryan swope would never play a down and had a low round grade on the great Ryan Williams.

Every team has mistakes. But draft grades are usually similar not 3 rounds off. This was a total need pick.

I have watched him play. He is the shine on a **** sandwich. Bad defense. Okay player. Not a difference maker. Guy you gamble on not on the first

Page two fun. Love Juza's comment

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
27th overall pick, I'm pretty good with it for sure. It's a solid pickup, plugs up one of the two holes on the defense and doesn't come with boom or bust like JF would, not to mention the spectre of "the savior" on the bench while a serviceable Palmer is on the field.

We get an extra 3rd rounder, and a safety that isn't as good as Ha Ha but might be a better fit from a size and thump perspective.

I completely give Keim the benefit of the doubt - he didn't see much difference between Ha Ha and Deone if he was willing to balance the extra third rounder and Deone against Ha Ha at 20. Never know if they would have hoped Ha Ha would fall, but I don't think they would think that at all.

And I'm pretty sure we snatched the Niners pick right from under their hands, causing them to panic pick.

Looks pretty spot on... Nice work Donald!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some thoughts for those who care...

1-Facts are that when you have a deep draft, your rankings get clumped together. In those cases, you tend to prioritize tiers of players and you want to make sure you grab the players whose tiers end fastest. The S position was about 4-5 legit players deep.

2-agree with it or not, we play in a physical division, value physical play and stature, and took the S who fit the mold the best in this entire draft. He is the biggest hitter. He makes the most plays. He is one of the longest S's in the draft. THis all includes Dix, Ward and Pryor.

3-We drafted a playmaker. One of the areas that stood out with Bucannon for me is his ability to make plays. Over 4 years he had 15 ints and 7 forced fumbles. I am a believer that the ability to force turnovers is a huge indicator of instincts and overall in-game awareness. That means that while in the thick of the action of a game, Bucannon is instinctive enough and aware enough to target the ball rather than just man. That is a big plus.

Despite what some may say about watching Bucannon, I came away impressed. He was the only legitimate playmaker on a poor defense and still was able to make plays despite teams working away from him. He was the most physical safety in the draft class IMO and had some of the best measurables. Would I have loved to get him 10 spots lower? Sure, but if I know there is a huge drop off in talent at S after Bucannon, Ward and Brooks, yuo don't risk missing out on the S you want.

We wanted to add length at S to help cover TEs...got it.

We wanted a physical presence in the middle of our defense...got it.

We wanted speed to cover...got it.

We value playmakers on defense...got it.

Don't know why folks are quibbling about getting a guy who is an exact fit at a position of need who also allowed us to net an extra 3rd round pick. We essentially drafted Adrian Wilson with more developed coverage skills at this stage.

One smart guy right here...meh who am I kidding, I liked Jonathan Cooper.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People should know by now that whenever THESMEL speaks... Expect the opposite of what he says.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Bucannon pick and add in that we got Smokey as well then I love what SK did in rd 1.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison