Decisions?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is that a serious question or sarcasm? You can get all hung up on words to distract from the question, but unless you live in a cave without WiFi then you should read how a majority of mock drafts ranging in all levels of validity have Cards taking Murray. Stop answering a question with a question. ITS ANNOYING

Mock drafts.. I'm to take those seriously; as in anyway definitive, given they are largely based on a piece of video tape from a then College coach?

KW to the Cards - yes or no - let's debate!

This is the media / fan narrative of this draft, nothing more, nothing less, until someone with skin in the game says something significant.

And, given that we can't see each others body language or how I raise a Spokian eyebrow at times, we are left with words to deal with questions, annoying as that may be.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First off, we have heard nothing from Rosen. This would be highly unlikely if he wasn't told this is a smokescreen for a trade down. He is pretty outspoken per his comments last draft after him not being the top pick. It is like Rosen has been hidden away in protective custody so he won't say anything.

No. It's more like, he's been told that this is the nature of the process with a pending #1 pick; ignore the noise and keep your nose to the grind stone.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I am going to somehow take control of that Cardinal draft room and taking Oliver with our first pick and tick everyone off. Then the Niner's will further squash the hype drama by taking Bosa who will have a good but not Hall of Fame career and avoid then a trade for a boat load of picks, one will then take Williams with his one year performance and another with Murray's one year performance (we will give him to the Raiders, why not)... while some team will be quite content selecting Allen in the draft :)

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mock drafts.. I'm to take those seriously; as in anyway definitive, given they are largely based on a piece of video tape from a then College coach?

This is the media / fan narrative of this draft, nothing more, nothing less, until someone with skin in the game says something significant.

We are saying the same thing. Could have cut through the BS though. I don't believe Cards are taking KM because their actions leading up to now do not point to that. I asked the question because I could have been missing something. And still could be true.

I also believe that they have known their top choice at one for awhile. They had time to go over all the tape a million times and used the combine interviews to separate if needed. Now it's either taking that player or accepting an offer they feel is more valuable than that player.

I am on the "give Rosen one more shot" side. In a vacuum I think they are pretty much equal. But unless we can get a top ten pick for Rosen in return, my opinion is that KM isn't that much better of a prospect to offset the draft capital we need to replenish the rest of the roster.

I'm actually wanting to hear from the other side as to how based on what we know has taken place, how that would lead to taking Murray. My theory makes too much sense to me, but maybe I'm skipping over something because of my bias? I would love to have a discussion about everyone's personal theory. I'm stopping now because my fingers hurt!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it all means but the G - C draft positions seems to be extremely deep this year. Quite possibly the same is true about defensive front seven players.

Logically, a team deficient in G-C and front seven tallent should be able to draft its way back to health by cleaning up in rounds 5 thru 7 and free agency.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still can't understand why they wouldn't be openly shopping Rosen right now if they were set on Murray. There is nothing in the way of that plan or anything gained from being so tightlipped. They should've done this before FA and Jacksonville and Denver would've been in the mix. The only advantage to slow play is to create the impression that you aren't taking Murray to increase trade value for the pick. Again, what is gained if the decision is made with Murray?
Who's to say this won't happen? Draft Murray #1, then trade Rosen to the highest bidder for their pick in the 1st rd? Like the Giants #6 pick, or the redskins #15 & a 2nd?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who's to say this won't happen? Draft Murray #1, then trade Rosen to the highest bidder for their pick in the 1st rd? Like the Giants #6 pick, or the redskins #15 & a 2nd?

It could happen, but then I believe Keim took the worst approach possible (Ugh, probably). By waiting this long, a couple of the handful of teams in the running now aren't in the mix. Maybe Jacksonville would have offered.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It could happen, but then I believe Keim took the worst approach possible (Ugh, probably). By waiting this long, a couple of the handful of teams in the running now aren't in the mix. Maybe Jacksonville would have offered.
At this point if they wanna trade Rosen, imo Only the Giants, redskins & dolphins may consider trading for him, maybe the Patriots but they always pick last or second to last lol. Their 1st round pick isn't enough value to us for Rosen. I know the Giants pick 6th, the redskins pick 15th, do the dolphins pick 12th?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At this point if they wanna trade Rosen, imo Only the Giants, redskins & dolphins may consider trading for him, maybe the Patriots but they always pick last or second to last lol. Their 1st round pick isn't enough value to us for Rosen. I know the Giants pick 6th, the redskins pick 15th, do the dolphins pick 12th?

If KK told Keim, when KM declared, that even though he can win with Rosen, KM would be special in his offense. Then I absolutely think that Murray should be the pick. But, at that point Keims number one goal should've been to get the best value for Rosen. But he still isn't shopping Rosen. So are there other options outside of Keim being completely incompetent or they aren't taking Murray at one?

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Giants may have another 1st rounder, #17, by way of the OBJ trade to the Browns.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Just my opinion, but I think the Dolphins are in tank mode and waiting for QBOTF. I think the Broncos/Elway will be in the mix as well as Bengals(Dalton can be cut with little to know dead money). Raiders, Giants and Redskins as well

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If KK told Keim, when KM declared, that even though he can win with Rosen, KM would be special in his offense. Then I absolutely think that Murray should be the pick. But, at that point Keims number one goal should've been to get the best value for Rosen. But he still isn't shopping Rosen. So are there other options outside of Keim being completely incompetent or they aren't taking Murray at one?
Look. It APPEARS we’re not shopping Rosen but we are taking calls. The rumors are floating around and the best one we’ve heard is from the patriots.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Look. It APPEARS we’re not shopping Rosen but we are taking calls. The rumors are floating around and the best one we’ve heard is from the patriots.

So, what are they gaining by keeping it on the DL. If they want Murray, nobody else can do anything to stop them

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be stunned if we settle for a second for Rosen.

It's the ultimate sell low at that point and would be a huge indictment of how the organization views Rosen.

If it's not a first you keep Rosen regardless of the #1 pick

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I will be stunned if we settle for a second for Rosen.

It's the ultimate sell low at that point and would be a huge indictment of how the organization views Rosen.

If it's not a first you keep Rosen regardless of the #1 pick

The Cards aren’t basing the future of their QB situation on Rosen’s trade value. If it’s Josh you’re sticking with him. If it’s Kyler you’re taking the best offer for Josh.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And if we take Murray, we hand the 49ers Bosa. This is what is commonly referred to as a conundrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless the raiders want Bosa so bad they give the 49ers a kings ransom deal for the #2 pick? In which case that would strengthen SF with more top picks yet keep Bosa out of the NFC west. Which scenario would be better? If Bosa ends up being all world like most on this board believe.................? Definitely would make life hard for our QB lol.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Unless the raiders want Bosa so bad they give the 49ers a kings ransom deal for the #2 pick? In which case that would strengthen SF with more top picks yet keep Bosa out of the NFC west. Which scenario would be better? If Bosa ends up being all world like most on this board believe.................? Definitely would make life hard for our QB lol.

The best scenario has been there since the end of season:

1. Commit to Rosen
2. Upgrade O-line in FA
3. Draft BPA at #1 (Bosa)
4. Trade #1 to Oakland (Bosa)
5. Select BPA at #4, 27, etc.

And don't get distracted by shiny things!

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Just looking at the decisions made in our free agency, it seems very obvious that Kyler Murray is our pick. You don't pick up both Terrell Suggs and Jordan Hicks to be in our scheme if you're picking Bosa in the draft. We're either picking Kyler or trading down.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looking at the decisions made in our free agency, it seems very obvious that Kyler Murray is our pick. You don't pick up both Terrell Suggs and Jordan Hicks to be in our scheme if you're picking Bosa in the draft. We're either picking Kyler or trading down.

Suggs on a one year deal has nothing to do with Bosa, and I fail to see any relationship with signing an upgrade at ILB.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
If you can read between the lines, I think that Kyler Murray is our pick. Keim's recent interviews and KK's recent quotes on NFL.com are almost as if we don't have Rosen. Both are claiming that everything is still in the cards, only to come back later after being asked about Rosen to claim that he is alright. Yada yada to keep Rosen's value up.

We don't have to trade Rosen during the draft even if we pick Murray. I read somewhere that trading Rosen after June 1st would make it easier to get a deal done with a potential partner. Guess this is about the numbers.

That said, I fully expect to get a decent enough offer for Rosen just before or during the draft. Picking Murray 1st overall is sunk cost one way or another after picking Rosen in the 1st round last year. Can't think twice about it if Murray is the higher rated prospect and a much better fit in KK's offense. Anytime you fire a HC, let alone after his first season, sunk cost has to be expected all over the roster. With KK we went into a totally different direction than with Wilks last year. It's almost the polar opposite. Tough decisions were always on the horizon once Wilks was fired.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you can read between the lines, I think that Kyler Murray is our pick. Keim's recent interviews and KK's recent quotes on NFL.com are almost as if we don't have Rosen. Both are claiming that everything is still in the cards, only to come back later after being asked about Rosen to claim that he is alright. Yada yada to keep Rosen's value up.

We don't have to trade Rosen during the draft even if we pick Murray. I read somewhere that trading Rosen after June 1st would make it easier to get a deal done with a potential partner. Guess this is about the numbers.

That said, I fully expect to get a decent enough offer for Rosen just before or during the draft. Picking Murray 1st overall is sunk cost one way or another after picking Rosen in the 1st round last year. Can't think twice about it if Murray is the higher rated prospect and a much better fit in KK's offense. Anytime you fire a HC, let alone after his first season, sunk cost has to be expected all over the roster. With KK we went into a totally different direction than with Wilks last year. It's almost the polar opposite. Tough decisions were always on the horizon once Wilks was fired.

And one can "read" between the lines and reach the opposite conclusion.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Wouldn't this be exactly how they should be answering questions to make everyone believe they are going with Murray over Rosen? They have a plan. They go into interviews knowing exactly how they are going to answer questions. I think that your conclusion by reading between the lines is exactly how they want OAK, NYG, DEN, CIN and Wash to interpret so they drive up the price for the pick.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what are they gaining by keeping it on the DL. If they want Murray, nobody else can do anything to stop them
They’re doing their due diligence. It’s not like the draft is tomorrow. We’ll be fielding calls right up to the time we step up to the podium. You never know what somebody is going to offer us for the # 1 pick or Josh Rosen. Or as KK said, “ You don’t know what you don’t know.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave