Deandre Hopkins Suspended Six Games

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Backtrack? You haven't been paying attention then.

I didn't say franchise defining. I didn't say important. I said great. As in great performance.
I have watched replays of some of these wins on NFL Network including the opening week win over the Titans. Knowing how we finished it makes it even more difficult to watch them again. We just look at things differently I guess which is fine.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I have watched replays of some of these wins on NFL Network including the opening week win over the Titans. Knowing how we finished it makes it even more difficult to watch them again. We just look at things differently I guess which is fine.
I successfully predicted that Chandler Jones would not keep up his 80 sack pace after week 1. Totally nailed that one!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can only imagine that the crime and suicide rate in the Bidwill Snr years must have been astronomic. Male anger and suicidal tendencies must have been through the roof.

The last 10 years have been the winningest years in Cards history. 24% of all playoff games in Card history have been in the last 9 seasons. 59% have been in the Mike Bidwill era.

Yet some fans are always so ANGRY. I can't imagine what it must have been like when we didn't make the playoffs for 16 years. Or the period between 1984 and 2007 with only 1 winning season.

Hell, in the 30 years between the 1976 season and Mike taking over the Cards had 2 winning seasons. 2 from 31. I can only imagine the queue to jump off bridges was enormous.

This is literally the golden era of Cardinals football in comparison to it's history yet for some reason people act like it's the 80's all over again.
Amen!! I want to sometimes strangle those on this board that continuously rant about how horrible our 11-6 season was last year. At times in my life, I waited decades for a winning season. Bill Bidwill was the worst owner in NFL history.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You simply have no comprehension of the fandom of this franchise. It is a slap in the face to call this the golden age of ANYTHING. Rather than force-feeding fans that they MUST BE POSITIVE because it's better than it has been before (a clue--it isn't--we did much better around the Super Bowl), step back and understand that we've gone from historical losing to losing a bit less. The fans shouldn't be happy with "aw, we're not as bad as we used to be." If a fan wants to be happy and content with that, like yourself, that's great! Different strokes for different folks. To berate fans for being angry that their team isn't good, that their team's "golden age" is bronze age at best, is way off the mark.
It’s the old, “hey you’ve been force for eat diarrhea for years so enjoy your liver and onions that’s been sitting outside for four days!”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Literally none of that is true. Keim has a winning record. Nobody is losing a bit less. Between the Coryell years and Bidwill taking over this franchise was sub 400.

In the past 10 years we have the 14th most wins. 4 wins away from being 9th. For the rest of history the Cards are a bottom 3 team. It's far from "losing a bit less".

You mention 2008, if making the superbowl is your only measurement of success then its no wonder you're so angry.

This team IS good. The raging anger from certain people just prevent you from noticing.
You keep saying this. It’s a ridiculous mid characterization of people you don’t know. I haven’t seen anyone ranting in ALL CAPS. In fact, you seem a lot angrier about this topic than anyone you’re targeting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can understand why it was frustrating for about 2 days.

If people are still carrying it now and using it to fuel faux outrage about everything I'd suggest they see a shrink.

It was frustrating. It doesn't overshadow what was a generally fun and entertaining season with some of the greatest wins in Cards history. A season that shows promise for the future.
I dunno, your obsession with other peoples opinions (people you don’t even really know) suggests you may want to see a shrink. Just saying.

As an aside, I may not always agree with you (I also don’t always disagree with you), but I think generally you have interesting football takes and find useful football data. But when you go on the attack at posters due to them being negative or angry rage, etc it makes you really difficult to read and muddies up a football forum. Hoping we can get everyone focused more on football, cardinals, the nfl, etc. and less on posters moving forward.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Amen!! I want to sometimes strangle those on this board that continuously rant about how horrible our 11-6 season was last year. At times in my life, I waited decades for a winning season. Bill Bidwill was the worst owner in NFL history.
Now if we want to talk about “rage” and “anger” . . .

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
No doub this hurts. Just hope the Cards can figure it out... There has been so much talk about Marquise ( Hollywood ) Brown that alot of people seemed to have overlooked that Murray and Ertz seemed to have an instant connection when Ertz arrived.
Not happy about Hopkins at all but hoping Kingsbury can at least scheme enough to make Ertz Kylers saftey blanket until HOP gets back...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
including a meaningless Week 6 win against a 3-2 Browns team

Revisionism. You're a big fan of DVOA right?

At the time FO had the brown's as the 5th best team per DVOA. I recall the pregame thread that week many expected us to get beat on the road. Most analysts had us losing, this was the game that was going to end our run. And that was before losing Kliff, Cam Turner, Zach Allen, Peters and Chandler Jones to Covid and Rodney Hudson to injury.

We were up 20-0 at one point. It was a dominant performance against a very good defense that finished 11th vs DVOA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

At the time FO had the brown's as the 5th best team per DVOA. I recall the pregame thread that week many expected us to get beat on the road. Most analysts had us losing, this was the game that was going to end our run. And that was before losing Kliff, Cam Turner, Zach Allen, Peters and Chandler Jones to Covid and Rodney Hudson to injury.

We were up 20-0 at one point. It was a dominant performance against a very good defense that finished 11th vs DVOA.

You're trying to...you're trying to use DVOA to prove the Browns game was a top 25 win in Cards history?

:biglaugh:

Just be honest here. You're talking about top 25 games of YOUR viewing era and trying to say all time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're trying to...you're trying to use DVOA to prove the Browns game was a top 25 win in Cards history?

:biglaugh:

Just be honest here. You're talking about top 25 games of YOUR viewing era and trying to say all time.

No. I'm using DVOA because 1) K9 likes it and 2) to point out that it was not a meaningless game.

And again, for the 10th time. I did not say "Top 25 games" you can define that how you like. It's vague and will be different to different people.

I said top 25 "greatest wins". Not important, not meaningful, not entertaining. Simply wins against good teams. In this case due to being against good teams, on the road, by multiple scores.

The same way that the top 25 Newcastle United wins of all time might include a 0-5 away win at Man City.

If you were to build an algorithm that took the margin of victory and the quality of opponent to assign a score to each win I'm confident all 4 games I mentioned would be in the top 25.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Sorry, but DVOA that early in the season includes a healthy amount of DAVE, which is pre-season expectations. I'm not convinced when a 4-0 team beats a 2-2 team.

No. I'm using DVOA because 1) K9 likes it and 2) to point out that it was not a meaningless game.

And again, for the 10th time. I did not say "Top 25 games" you can define that how you like. It's vague and will be different to different people.

I said top 25 "greatest wins". Not important, not meaningful, not entertaining. Simply wins against good teams. In this case due to being against good teams, on the road, by multiple scores.

The same way that the top 25 Newcastle United wins of all time might include a 0-5 away win at Man City.

If you were to build an algorithm that took the margin of victory and the quality of opponent to assign a score to each win I'm confident all 4 games I mentioned would be in the top 25.

"Greatness" isn't an objective metric. It's qualitative, not quantitative. Even looking back, there are a ton of historical examples of the Cards straight dominating good-ish teams on the scoreboard. It's just that 70% of the time they were getting dominated or throwing a fourth-quarter INT and lost 24-17.

You can't even keep you own terms straight, considering you go from "greatest" in para. 2 to "top" in para. 3. The Cards were 4.5 point favorites against Cleveland; it's not surprising that we dominated them.

None of these games you're positing are "greater" in the sense of outperforming expectations or strength of victory or whatever than this 40-7 Week 2 Road Win against Tampa that literally no one remembers.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
None of these games you're positing are "greater" in the sense of outperforming expectations or strength of victory or whatever than this 40-7 Week 2 Road Win against Tampa that literally no one remembers.

I've been pretty clear several times on what I meant.

At least 3 of the victories I've mentioned are better than the Bucs in 2016. Bucs didn't even make the playoffs. The Titans were AFC champs, The Rams won the SB and the Niners were in the NFCCG.

But if you like we can slide the Bucs game into the top 25 somewhere. Although, it's barely dissimilar to the Brown's game. We beat the Bucs week 2. Bucs started the season 1-3. Finished 9-7.

But I think the brown's counts so the Buc's counts too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been joking that Chuck and Mitch are bloggers and considered team insiders and thus we all are.

That is apparently true

You know you've made it when coaches and players refer to you in press conferences.

One year UCLA basketball player Reeves Nelson called out a UCLA fan site guy, he was a scout who also worked for the site. During a post game he said see Greg Hicks and you said I can't play defense. Ben Howland did the same thing later that year not by name he called out a post that had been on the same board and was getting lots of traction, howland said it was not true. I don't even remember what it was anymore.

I truly hope the Cards situation isn't as bad as that one was we literally had moms of players leaking stories to fans on the site knowing they'd get posted.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

At least 3 of the victories I've mentioned are better than the Bucs in 2016. Bucs didn't even make the playoffs. The Titans were AFC champs, The Rams won the SB and the Niners were in the NFCCG.

But if you like we can slide the Bucs game into the top 25 somewhere. Although, it's barely dissimilar to the Brown's game. We beat the Bucs week 2. Bucs started the season 1-3. Finished 9-7.

The titans won the AFC last year?!? Where was I?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

LOL. It's completely hilarious that you're like "Everyone is stupid but me for the clearly objective measurement of greatness that is strength of victory plus with the backward- or forward-looking strength of opponent but really the games I just named off the top of my head and now have to battle over."

It's okay to be wrong and realize that maybe you made an assertion that doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. You got called out on a scorching hot take. It's fine. No one is going to bounce their grandkid on their knee and tell them about the time Kyler Murray outdueled Baker Mayfield in Week 6 of the 2021 season.

What's hilarious about your take is that this arguably isn't even the greatest victory of Kyler Murray over Baker Mayfield -- even by your own metric. The Cards were 3-point underdogs to the Browns in 2019 and came out with a 14 point win. That's the game I'll remember more because it was Kyler's rookie season and a #1 overall vs #1 overall matchup .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was 2021 the middle ground for you?

Because fans here are frustrated
And that wasn't a great game--quite the opposite, we choked in that game. It was instead a great play.
Nah… that was a pretty incredible game that saw a major shootout between Kyler and Allen. We battled back from a 10 point deficit in the third, took the lead in the fourth, gave up the lead with 30 seconds left, then won the game on a Hail Mary.

It was easily the game of the week, a high scoring shootout between at the time, two of the best records in the league/division leaders in Mid November.

If that’s not a great game, nothing is.