Deandre Ayton discussion

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, I just read all that Ayton article. I’m all teary eyed. Watching this kid grow before our eyes is something to watch. This team will win its first title this year. Book it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dude has come of age in the playoffs. All the kids have... growing from up and comers to FAVORITES in the blink of an eye. It’s f’n awesome to watch, not only because of what’s right in front of us, but because it bodes so very very well for the future! Yup

Yep. He is a legitimate force. He consistently makes players change their shots and he is a force on the boards.

The Suns are significantly better when he is on the court. Max him out.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“This Sunday, for me, it’ll be a big day: my first Father’s Day since becoming a father myself. It’s been an amazing few months….. and I can tell you we’ve made at least one big parenting decision already: We’re raising our little dude as a Suns fan, no doubt. He’s got the gear, he’s in the colors, he’s got the baby blanket — it’s Phoenix head-to-toe on this one.

And I feel good about that.

Not just because it’s his dad’s team — but because I want him to have the best in life. I want him to get in on the ground floor, you know what I’m saying? To root for a team that’s at the START of a MOMENT….. in a city that stays loyal, and loves basketball.

I want him to watch hard work turn into great things.”

-DA

Okay one last chance for your first father's day

You go at other posters it is game 2 and 3.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. He is a legitimate force. He consistently makes players change their shots and he is a force on the boards.

I was firmly in the "make him wait and earn it" camp when it came to an extension for him but he's earned it this postseason. I wouldn't hand it over as quickly as the team did for Book a couple years back but if that's the price to lock him in, do it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you have to at this point and I won’t quibble. This Ayton (especially with CP3) gives us a BIG THREE no one else has with inside and outside game.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Ayton knows how to seize the moment. This at the Phoenix airport after the sweep of Denver earlier in the evening. He is a little boy in a man's body.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve Smith (not Stephen A) said that Ayton will be more useful than Gobert because he is a more versatile defender and he is an offensive threat.

Let that sink in a moments. Gobert is an all-nba player.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a must read article by Deandre Ayton. It is awesome!!!

Here is a snippet from the article titled "We Dem Boyz" from The Players Tribune by Deandre Ayton:

"And speaking of success — that’s just what we expect now.

It’s just who we are. If we win a game, OK, great. But then it’s head down. It’s on to the next. If we win a series, OK, let’s take a few hours. Let’s enjoy this plane ride home. Let’s play some cards. Let’s nap these naps. Let’s talk our sh*t. Matter of fact, let’s have Jevon talk as loud as possible the entire flight. Let’s have him talk so loud you can hear him from the back of the plane, and probably even the next plane over. But then after that?? It’s head down. It’s on to the next.

This group, man — we’re not satisfied by a few wins in a row. We’re not satisfied by making the conference finals. We don’t feel like we’re on some “magical run,” you know what I mean?? Nothing magic. No run.

It’s just grinding, and competing, and performing to our potential.

It’s just being where we’re expecting to be."

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/deandre-ayton-phoenix-suns-basketball-nba

That was pretty good to read.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
you have to at this point and I won’t quibble. This Ayton (especially with CP3) gives us a BIG THREE no one else has with inside and outside game.

What I find crazy is how he went from an empty stat guy, to now being a guy that the stats don't tell the how story.

Ayton is easily the best true center the Suns have had. AND he still is getting better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DA will never be a number 1 option. But in today’s nba having a center as your number one option is not a championship winning scenario. You need a great versatile center in your core though.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yesterday, Ayton had a very solid game: rebounds, good D, great picks, phenomenal screen & rolls and exceptional mobility.

I watched Embiid and Jucoc, who both outscored him, and who are much bitter, more formidable. But I get the sense that with those guys it's
them . . . and the team. They are the first option, then we'll do the "system." The sense I get with Ayton is he is fully within the flow of the team. Gets points, great.
Doesn't get points but set screens & Booker gets 40 great.

The most important change I saw yesterday with Ayton was that he dunked all of his close shots. No layups, no mini-hooks. That's soft play.
And, if you notice, as a team, the Suns missed very few layups yesterday.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Should we revise our center rankings? Other than Embiid and Jokic, who is better than Ayton now?

Even ignoring his potential for growth, I can't think of any center that would improve the Suns' chances of winning the championship this year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should we revise our center rankings? Other than Embiid and Jokic, who is better than Ayton now?

Even ignoring his potential for growth, I can't think of any center that would improve the Suns' chances of winning the championship this year.

I have been making this argument all season long. I kept posting his numbers that proved where he ranked but everybody kept focusing on his negatives. THEY WERE LEGIT criticism for sure. Especially, on the mental side of things. His numbers could have been more consistent but he was showing it. I have had Ayton as one of the best all season long and his performance in the playoffs only proves it further.

The one aspect of his game that needs some major work is outside the rim. If he could develop that little jumper more consistently? He would be unstoppable.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would still put Gobert 3rd but Ayton is passing him from 4th.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would still put Gobert 3rd but Ayton is passing him from 4th.

Gobert has been a more consistent rebounder in the playoffs and is one of my favorites in the league. What the clips did running him off the court wasn't entirely his fault.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe overall Gobert is better, but does Ayton have any matchups where he is completely useless the way Gobert does?
This is why Ayton is better. Gobert is so limited on offense and as a perimiter defender. He is a fantastic rim protector but after that there isnt much there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why Ayton is better. Gobert is so limited on offense and as a perimiter defender. He is a fantastic rim protector but after that there isnt much there.

Yes. The Clippers exposed Gobert's weaknesses.

Reaction score

I didn't mean "first option" for the Suns. I meant, for their teams. Sorry if not clear.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose