Deandre Ayton discussion

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discussing Deandre Ayton as a player seems to be a common topic throughout many threads.

I thought maybe having a thread to discuss his progress and expectations might help where everyone can add their thoughts.

In the linked article below, James Jones is interviewed on the Burns and Gambo show at Arizona Sports.

In the podcast at about the 3:50 mark Jones evaluates the play of Ayton. He describes his play as "uneven"

He indicates what he needs to improve is repetition and coaching.

From Arizona Sports:

“It’s reps. It’s just reps, and coaching,” Jones said. “More reps practicing, working in that area, working in that box, as we call it. Just harping on it. Like everything we do: You have to drill it, you have to talk about how we play, how we wanna play, how we need to play to win games.

“And for us to go to the next level, we need him to continue to grow in that area. So there’s no magic pill, there’s no magic button you press. It just comes with hard coaching and repetition.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/2506488/suns-gm-deandre-aytons-play-has-been-uneven-to-start-season/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, a place for deliberAyton was wrong with Deandre.

At least its not another interview with his bloviAyton. Hearing from Monty and James Jones about his problems is somewhat encouraging since they notice them also.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Great, a place for deliberAyton was wrong with Deandre.

At least its not another interview with his bloviAyton. Hearing from Monty and James Jones about his problems is somewhat encouraging since they notice them also.
How could they not?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some highlights from the 2019-20 season before the Orlando bubble and during the bubble.

Only an observation, but Ayton appears more active pre-bubble than during the bubble which lends itself to the coaching and repetition argument.

Maybe as the season progresses, Ayton will be fine as he learns the flow of the offense.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So we got rid of Len, but he looks better now after more time in the NBA. We got rid of Robin Lopez who looks like a much better player after more time in the NBA. It just seems like Centers do take more time to develop.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we got rid of Len, but he looks better now after more time in the NBA. We got rid of Robin Lopez who looks like a much better player after more time in the NBA. It just seems like Centers do take more time to develop.

It does seem to take big men longer to develop but I don't lose much sleep over parting with Alex Len and Robin Lopez.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

neither one of those guys are anything to write home about.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Soft. I don't really see a good future for Ayton with the Suns and I'd try to move him for a bigger piece sooner than later.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There is another factor. The Suns have historically been one of the
worst teams in the league in developing big men (for a long time).

Example? Ayton is not showing power in the post on offense, so
what do they do? Encourage him to take 3-point shots after
setting picks. And watch him do finger rolls rather than jams.

Big men might take more time to develop, but you must see
steady progress. And ours haven't shown it until they leave
the Suns. And find out where their skill sets level off.

With very few exceptions, the Suns have always been a
Guard and Wing oriented team. Just as they are now.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Heck of a game for him today. Went hard to the hoop, rebounded very well, and altered a few shots. I believe he finished with 18 and 14.

Hopefully he can keep this up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Heck of a game for him today. Went hard to the hoop, rebounded very well, and altered a few shots. I believe he finished with 18 and 14.

Hopefully he can keep this up.
18 & 16 actually. Played the most aggressive I can remember in second half. Makes me wonder what lit the fire and if they can bottle it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
18 & 16 actually. Played the most aggressive I can remember in second half. Makes me wonder what lit the fire and if they can bottle it.
I remember seeing CP3 really talking to him before his first FTs early in the game. And they were definitely force feeding him. So sounds like they are trying to do what we think they SHOULD do.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I remember seeing CP3 really talking to him before his first FTs early in the game. And they were definitely force feeding him. So sounds like they are trying to do what we think they SHOULD do.
It’s not that simple though because we saw him dunk, what like 4 or 5 times tonight? That’s different and starts solely with him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s not that simple though because we saw him dunk, what like 4 or 5 times tonight? That’s different and starts solely with him.
Id like to see that from DA more often. To be fair he had the second string center guarding him tonight tho.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Even though Ayton played really well today, there's still room to improve. He couldn't hold his position and get the ball a few times when Ja Morant switched on to him and still had a few fadeaways that were not good shots. But, progress is progress and if DA can show up like this every game then most of us would shut the hell up about him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Huh? I guess you're assuming Chris Paul in NOT telling him to be more aggressive?

It does start with Ayton himself obviously, but what in his history suggests he's going to be able to do it without any outside motivation?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Huh? I guess you're assuming Chris Paul in NOT telling him to be more aggressive?

It does start with Ayton himself obviously, but what in his history suggests he's going to be able to do it without any outside motivation?
I thought you were chalking his aggression up to the fact they were force feeding him and not Paul talking to him.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Potentially best game as Sun. All the little things was great and watching him get to the line and dunk was huge. Box score wont show it but he was great. He was the best player on the court tonight.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Potentially best game as Sun. All the little things was great and watching him get to the line and dunk was huge. Box score wont show it but he was great. He was the best player on the court tonight.

I agree with 100% and that's what is also so frustrating about him. To see he has this in him but when he does nothing but settle for 16 foot jumpers or stopping after rolling 5 feet after he sets a pick. Then there are the layups and finger rolls within 3 feet that he should be dunking. Hopefully this lit his fire and he keeps it burning because he looked like an All-Star and was DominAyton today.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose