Deandre Ayton discussion

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
It's plays like this that concern me with Ayton. If he isn't going to take it up over a guard to either get a foul or get a dunk how do we expect him to change his game against better big men? I can't imagine any center not going up to dunk the ball here and he's athletic enough to fly over everyone who is trying to guard him here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton not being able to take advantage of his size when he has guards trying to defend him in the post is my biggest issue with him. Its like he has no clue how to use his size. He used it in college but in the pro's he's completely forgotten what to do when he has a mismatch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's plays like this that concern me with Ayton. If he isn't going to take it up over a guard to either get a foul or get a dunk how do we expect him to change his game against better big men?

that play was the one that gave me massive Boris Deja vu.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's plays like this that concern me with Ayton. If he isn't going to take it up over a guard to either get a foul or get a dunk how do we expect him to change his game against better big men? I can't imagine any center not going up to dunk the ball here and he's athletic enough to fly over everyone who is trying to guard him here.

Yup. And the second photo is the particularly damning one (although the third is damning enough). Look how much space he has from the two guards closing on him when our athletic 6’11 center has the ball right at the basket. It’s just ridiculous.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's almost like Ayton couldn't discern who was guarding him. He should have dunked it regardless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If I were the suns I would:

1. send Ayton to get his eyes checked. I truly wonder if he has trouble seeing the ball coming his way.

2. get Ayton a flexibility coach. His inability to corral low-but-reasonable passes might be a physical thing.

3. make Ayton work with Fitz on hand-eye coordination drills.

I’m searching for anything to make Ayton’s ability to catch nba passes even league average.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is just in NO way true. Just look at stats. Embiid in third full season was at 28/14/4/2. Granted he was older than Ayton and got air the bench for two seasons and learn. But even his first season actually playing/third season he was at 20/8/3/2.5
For his entire career Ayton is going to be know for not being Embiid and not being Doncic. He had the bad fortune of being the first pick in the draft. If he had been picked 2-5, maybe not so much of a disappointment?

He is a very good center who fits well into this system and team. Right now, I have accepted that. Not that I don’t want him to improve.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Think what the Suns would be with a player like Karl-Anthony Towns in the middle.

i’ve thought about this, but Towns isn’t much of a defender.

that said, neither was Ayton until Monty started coaching him.

if Monty could do for Towns’ D what he’s done for Ayton, he’d be the missing piece to make this team a true championship contender because he’s already a force offensively and on the boards. And I’m guessing after another atrocious season, Towns might start chirping about wanting out.
I have been thinking this for weeks. The closer we get to Ayton's extension, the more I think about KAT sitting there in Minny just waiting to be plucked from purgatory.

that play was the one that gave me massive Boris Deja vu.

On the podcast I linked a week or so ago, Raja made it very clear that Boris would do that on purpose some games just to screw with the coaching staff. Apparently Porters staff didn't want him handling the ball to much so it was one dribble pass at all times. It made me laugh but also explains why some teams are total flops if morale is low.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We are just one season away from extension talks with Ayton. I could easily see Minny getting squeezed by KAT if Book wants his boy in the Desert.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are just one season away from extension talks with Ayton. I could easily see Minny getting squeezed by KAT if Book wants his boy in the Desert.

A big problem is the Suns would have to include additional players to match Karl Anthony Towns approximate $30 million salary.

The Wolves probably want Ayton, someone like Crowder and a couple of good young players. The Suns hands are tied right now trading draft picks.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A big problem is the Suns would have to include additional players to match Karl Anthony Towns approximate $30 million salary.

The Wolves probably want Ayton, someone like Crowder and a couple of good young players. The Suns hands are tied right now trading draft picks.
Yeah, that's a tough one. Can he be extended after this season in a sign and trade?

Do we have any draft capital to trade? I'm not as up on my Suns info. Ayton is still a monster get at his age and perceived value around the league. As long as Bridges is untouchable (& Book obv.), I would be very interested.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a tough one. Can he be extended after this season in a sign and trade?

Do we have any draft capital to trade? I'm not as up on my Suns info. Ayton is still a monster get at his age and perceived value around the league. As long as Bridges is untouchable (& Book obv.), I would be very interested.

I think Ayton can be extended next season as he becomes a RFA in 2022/23 so I guess the trade could be made then. The best case scenario is that Ayton turns into the player the Suns want to keep.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
For his entire career Ayton is going to be know for not being Embiid and not being Doncic. He had the bad fortune of being the first pick in the draft. If he had been picked 2-5, maybe not so much of a disappointment?

He is a very good center who fits well into this system and team. Right now, I have accepted that. Not that I don’t want him to improve.

Bridges makes that Ayton pick easier to digest. Kid is just a great ball player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ayton can be extended next season as he becomes a RFA in 2022/23 so I guess the trade could be made then. The best case scenario is that Ayton turns into the player the Suns want to keep.
I wouldn’t trade him. I like winning and I like this teams chemistry.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trade him. I like winning and I like this teams chemistry.

I agree. Don't fix what's not broken. While I wish Ayton was more aggressive on offense, he is probably a top-five center right now when it comes to defense and rebounding. He is also at least competent on offense. I don't think you give up on Ayton in his third season. I am pretty sure we'd all be much easier on Ayton if he was drafted after Doncic and Young. He'll never be what we all want him to be, but he is still pretty damn good.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is just in NO way true. Just look at stats. Embiid in third full season was at 28/14/4/2. Granted he was older than Ayton and got air the bench for two seasons and learn. But even his first season actually playing/third season he was at 20/8/3/2.5
I don't watch Sixers so I haven't followed his career. I just took it as is. I was thinking Embid scored more than Ayton, though. So I was surprised when I read that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker is named Western Conference player of the Week. It's a first.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Don't fix what's not broken. While I wish Ayton was more aggressive on offense, he is probably a top-five center right now when it comes to defense and rebounding. He is also at least competent on offense. I don't think you give up on Ayton in his third season. I am pretty sure we'd all be much easier on Ayton if he was drafted after Doncic and Young. He'll never be what we all want him to be, but he is still pretty damn good.

The issue will be what do you pay for "pretty damn good" when it comes to his contract extension

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need to be really honest about what makes a big man successful in today's NBA. The Jazz model is a big who is an anchor defender and an efficient scorer.

That's what we are getting from DA. His D has been way above expectations when he was drafted. What we need from him for the TEAM to be successful is to be a defensive anchor and an efficient, opportunistic offensive player. Scoring off of rebounds and tips is a huge huge bonus. He needs to be able to set solid picks and free up others to score.

There are other models of successful centers. Jokic, as a point center, is an unrealistic goal for DA. That is not his skill set. Embiid as the center point of the offense AND defense is also an unrealistic goal for DA, not because of his skill set but because of the make-up of the rest of the team. Actually, I think its a mistake for Philly to build a team that way. That model will ultimately fail in truly competing for a championship.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson